What's new

Delhiwala: Which Pak city is cooler – Lahore or Karachi

Nahraf

Reaction score
Which Pak city is cooler – Lahore or Karachi : The Delhiwalla

Which Pak city is cooler – Lahore or KarachiNo comments

While visiting Lahore and Karachi, I found both cities were being perceived as unsafe. In Karachi, friends warned that I might die in a bomb blast in Lahore. In Lahore, friends warned that my cell phone might be robbed at gunpoint in Karachi. It was funny to hear Karachiites and Lahoris being bitchy about each other. The rivalry is so intense that there are hyperactive Karachi Vs Lahore clubs on the Facebook. Initially, to my foreign eyes, both cities looked equally dry. No bars, no discos, and too many beards and hijabs. Gradually I discovered that Lahore and Karachi are poles apart.

One is old. One is new. One blooms in the heart of green fields. One sprawls out of a sandy desert. One has Amritsar within 30 miles. One has no city within 60 miles. One is in the land of five rivers. One is in the land of one river. One has the canal. One has the sea. One has the gardens. One has the beaches. One is the citadel of culture. One is the bastion of business. One has the heritage of Mughals. One has the heritage of British. One is the fiefdom of Shariefs. One is the fiefdom of Bhuttos. One has a pleasure-house in Heera Mandi. One has a pleasure-house in Napier Road. One has the grave of legendary courtesan Anarkali. One has the grave of legendary singer Noor Jehan. One has french fries as street food. One has dahivadas as street food.

Lahore is literally literary. John Milton praised Lahore in Paradise Lost. Rudyard Kipling’s opened Kim outside its old Ajaib Ghar (the museum). Bapsi Sidhwa began Cracking India in its Jail Road. Lahore has history as rich as Delhi’s. it was the capital of Akbar – the greatest Mughal emperor. It was the capital of Ranjit Singh – the greatest Sikh ruler. Lahore is also Pakistan’s principal gourmet destination. Nihari is relished at Bhati Gate. Payas are ordered in Heera Mandi. Halwa Puri is devoured in Railway Road. Kheer is savored in Gawalamandi. Rooftop dinner is enjoyed at Cuckoo’s. Sir Syed Ahmed Khan had called Lahore’s people ‘Zinda Dillan-i-Punjab’. Muhammad Ali Jinnah had called it the ‘Heart of Pakistan.’ After all, it has Minar-e-Pakistan, Pakistan’s India Gate.

But Lahore is too provincial; more Punjabi than even Delhi. Karachi is closer to Bombay and you feel its cosmopolitanism in its salty sultry air. Its people speak in English, write in Urdu, think in Baluchi and dream in Sindhi. As first capital of the Islamic republic, Karachi is known as the city of lights. It is actually the city of load shedding. Never mind. The metropolis is Pakistan’s maximum city. It has fiction writers, fashion designers, globetrotting businessmen, TV actors and glamorous socialites.

It also has Taliban terrorists, underworld dons and gun-wielding thugs. But most people in Karachi are like me and you. They go to offices. They watch films in multiplexes. They text romance-shayiris to their lovers. They take camel rides on the beach. They go crabbing on the sea. They drink Vodka, snort cocaine and hook up sex dates on the Internet. In daily wear, they wear shalwars as well as shorts.

Karachi may not match Lahore’s history but it is a city with many *firsts*. British India’s first telegraphic message was sent from here. British India’s first tramway system was set up here. British India’s first scheduled airline service was started from here. It was the place where Alexander the Great set his camps. It was the place from where Muhammad Bin Qasim led his invading army into the heart of Hindustan. It was the magnet that attracted Indian Muslim refugees with dreams of a better future. It is the magnet that attracts people from all over Pakistan with dreams of a better future.

It is really a city with two cities. Beautiful Karachi – rich, sexy, fast, pulsating and dynamic. Ugly Karachi – poor, uncouth, violent, unplanned, and dangerous. It is the worst nightmare of Pakistan. It is the best hope of Pakistan.

For me, Karachi anytime. Sorry, Lahore.

karachi all the way :D, a city like no other, a city of dreams :D

btw people in karachi dont drink vodkas and snort cocaine, its misinformation, it doesnt have alquaida or taliban but it has ANP thugs who occupy places, who wish to deport the urdu speakers and rename karachi, pukhtunistan lol. i didnt know about pleasure house and i guess its not important or famous or a big place, but every body knows about hera mandi of lahore

Man you guys say jinnay lahore nai takea jammeya nai...I say jinnay jam ke Islamabad nai takeya oday jammay da faida he koi nai :D

Urdu speaking women?............................ LOL...........where i am at, there are many english speaking women as it is their national language!

lol... i think koi lahori nahi tha isi liye karachi wale khul k tareef kar rahe hain apni ... ANyways lets have some tafreeh (lol).

btw people in karachi dont drink vodkas and snort cocaine, its misinformation, it doesnt have alquaida or taliban but it has ANP thugs who occupy places,

It has mqm on top of them which kills people in their slaughter houses and those left are taken in gang wars, MQM supporters walk around with daggers & guns a common sight. Every next day shutter down on calls of Iltaf bhai, Im an eye witness to all this stuff.

yes a city of extremely beautiful Urdu speaking women.. each and every women of Karachi is so beautiful that.. it is like heaven on earth..

all i can say is lol...
Bro.. i can bet , u have not been to Lahore, Islamabad and Peshawar.

yes a city of extremely beautiful Urdu speaking women..
It was about the whole city of karachi i guess and please no favors to your own selves.

Lahore is a city of life, u can do anything anytime you want, apart from bombings and this taliban issue it used to be the safest city in Pakistan. The only place in Pakistan where if people bang their cars they mostly dont fight and decide how to get it done. The city with a wealthier citizens than others, i agree karachi houses some of the richest but they are few in a population of crores, its a common trend poor people from other cities move to Karachi and riches from Karachi move to Lahore. Lahore a cultural hub, its a city of celebrations. You can find concerts, gigs, fashion shows around the year here. The hub of Pakistan music & fashion industry.
With a much larger urban area and higher standards of living offered by housing societies.

Un-rivaled Hub of education in Pakistan, home to Asia's largest & Pakistan's top 5 Universities, Colleges and Schools. Punjab University, FC college and Cathedral school alone equal to the size of a city.

to name a few
LUMS
FAST
PUNJAB UNIVERSITY
PUNJAB GROUP OF COLLEGEs
GC COLLEGE
FC COLLEGE
King Edward Medical college
LSE
LACAS

Both the cities are great and have their own taste, If one is going for rich society, more luxury better infrastructure and with colors of culture, history and modern trends then Its Lahore.

Also Lahore is home to Raiwind, largest for Islamic teachings and gathering for tableegh and which holds annual gathering of Muslims 2nd or 3rd after the gathering in Kaaba at the time of hajj.

Karachi is the financial backbone with nearly double revenue generation, population & size than lahore. But the life style is simple and decent. But a little boring as well.

There two things to mention that i hate about karachi.

No1 Pollution
No2 Paan, gutka eating guys teasing,whistling & whinking:-)rofl:) on girls with same old fashion a decade old mentality and there is not even a single place decent for families where such guys r not present.

but every body knows about hera mandi of lahore
heera mandi is not just abt that *** its a huge wholesale market, and that call girl stuff is just for names sake mostly outsiders go there and end up being trapped in Kotha & Police partnership of blackmailing.

all i can say is lol...
Bro.. i can bet , u have not been to Lahore, Islamabad and Peshawar

Jao hum tum sai nahin boltey bhaiiiya :angry::disagree: There is no comparison between the girls of Karachi and that of Lahore/Islamabad/Peshawar..

Hamarey Karachi mein Hyderabad ki Nazneenain, Delhi ki Dosheezain aur U.P./Bihar ki banki adaoun wali haseenaien hain bhaiyya..

Lahore yah Islamabad ki aik ladki hum ko dekha do jo Karachi ki Haseenoun ka muqabla kar sakey? :azn:

Karachi had mustafa kamal, lahore has Taseer.

Karachi wins.

To be honest lahore is more beautful than karachi, it got greenry all over the place. While karachi only have desert. But if the developements go right karachi will have one of the best beaches in the world. One thing u wont find in lahore is delhi ki biryani!!!!!!!!!

One more thing, what is bhayya, I have lived there a couple of years and never heard someone say that. and to end this all, urdu is 1000 times more beautiful than punjabi!!!:pakistan:

Last edited:
One more thing, what is bhayya, I have lived there a couple of years and never heard someone say that. and to end this all, urdu is 1000 times more beautiful than punjabi!!!

That Iqbal_Brar is not Pakistani. He's an indian jatt sikh who thinks Pakistani Punjabis will side with indian punjabi jatts over non-punjabi Pakistanis while we Pakistani Punjabis dont want anything to do with them we just want them to make their khalistan out of their indian punjab state ;)

Dont be fooled by his name, "Iqbal", he is a 100% bharati troll.

I love all parts of Pakistan be it Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad, Peshawar, or Quetta.

PAKISTAN ZINDABAD !!!

:pakistan:

Last edited:
Well i have not been to Karachi yet but we can say Lahore has been divided into 2 different zones. One is Old Lahore and second is New Lahore. If you ever visit places near Ravi river you will find the culture of old Lahore and get to see places like Minar-e-Pakistan, Badshahi Masjid, Lahore Fort, Holy Shrines and few other buildings erected during Mughal's era. Go little further down and you get to see old markets/places of Lahore such as Anarkali, Rang Mahal, Sikh Gurdwara's and the sorrounding towns are highly populous and you have to wait in traffic for hours if travelling at peak times. Just have a visit to ferozpur road and you are stuck for hours.

New Lahore is well established and made for rich peoples only. Have a visit to Defence and you will find you have come to the posh area of Canada. I don't think Europe is that beautiful so i would take an example of Canada. Drive in the sorrounding areas and you will neve get stucked in the traffic. All the roads are carpet and even better than europe. The hospitals in those areas are of international standards and the doctors are highly qualified from American and british universities.

Overall Lahore waqayi jis ne nai dekha woh jammiya hi nai.............. you find anything you want.......... even chicks ;)

Man you guys say jinnay lahore nai takea jammeya nai...I say jinnay jam ke Islamabad nai takeya oday jammay da faida he koi nai :D

lol i can acutally agree to that, because i have been to Islamabad and its was quite amazing lol

Back
Top Bottom