What's new

Dhaka v/s Kolkata

Status
Not open for further replies.
And RCGC is not the only Golf Course we have in Kolkata!!

Tollygunge Club or Tolly Club (http://www.tollygungeclub.org)

The Tollygunge Club, Kolkata, is the only Country Club of its kind in India and ranked amongst the top 20 Clubs of the world. It is spread over a hundred acres with a Club House that is over 220 years old.

It offers facilities for golf, tennis, squash, indoor and outdoor swimming, riding and amateur equestrian sports. There is also a well-equipped and extensively used gym with professional instructors. The Club has a bridge room, a billiards room, a pro-shop, a well-stocked library, cyber cafe, unisex salon and herbal ayurvedic centre.

Sports apart, the Club offers members and guests a wide range of entertainment the year round from open-air theatre to music and dancing. Excellent cuisine is available at its restaurants, lawns, pavilions and well-stocked bars. There are also a pastry hut and an ice-cream parlour.

The club has 67 newly furbished, air-conditioned suites and residential rooms for Members and their guests, each with an attached bath, while separate conference and banqueting facilities offer a choice of venues accommodating between 25 and 600 people. There is abundant provision for parking. A country club that is truly an oasis of greenery and quietude in the midst of Kolkata's bustling southern residential district, the hallmark of Tolly is its warm, leisurely and friendly atmosphere.

tollygunge-club-kolkata.jpg

swimming.jpg

488495d1295937405-annual-tollygunge-club-vintage-classic-car-display-pet-show-2011-img_4368.jpg

Tollygunge-Club-kolkota.jpg

tollygunge-club.jpg

tollygunge-club.jpg

tollygunge-club.jpg

tollygunge-club.jpg

54999520.jpg

tollygunge-club.jpg

Kolkata has around 30 different clubs!!!

First building is millennium city sec5. I had my office there...... The oldest building in sec5......

As a resident of Kolkata, all I can say is, overpopulation is driving us nuts.....and the development of infrastructure, which is ridiculously slow as compared to the rate of increase in population is making things unbearable......:hitwall:
P.S: I'm talking about 'proper' kolkata, not the newly developing adjacent cities/towns....

Clubs are not the only lush green patches in Kolkata, we have Maidan & Victoria Memorial area, the largest green patch in Kolkata.

pix031-1.jpg

soaxx201106-09_300dpi.jpg

images

21metmaidan1.jpg

DSCN1432.JPG

the-grassy-maidan-with.jpg

4896507239_117f73e86c.jpg

memorial.jpg

country-boat-.jpg

My goodness!! The entire thread looks awesome, all 12 pages so far!! Even I didn't know Kolkata has such beautiful places!! And Dhaka is also beautiful!! :D

Science City, Kolkata

Science City, Kolkata is the largest science centre in the Indian subcontinent[4] under National Council of Science Museums (NCSM), Ministry of Culture, Government of India, is at the crossing of Eastern Metropolitan Bypass and J B S Haldane avenue, Kolkata.

Galleries

Dynamotion Hall
Hands-on and interactive exhibits on various topics of science encouraging visitors to experience with props and enjoy the underlying scientific principles.

Illusions
A permanent exhibition on the world of illusions with interactive exhibits, explores how motion and placement make a different in the visual perception.

Powers of Ten.
43 exhibits unfold the smallest or the biggest of the universe through zooming in or out in the order of ten.

Fresh Water Aquarium.
Variety of fresh water fishes in 26 tanks; provide the bio-diversity of the fish species.

Live Butterfly Enclave.
A colony of live butterflies hatched here and screening of a film Rang Bahari Prajapati on life cycle of butterfly.

Earth Exploration Hall
A inside panoramic view of the Earth Exploration Hall of Science city, Kolkata.

Inaugurated on 6 December 2008 by Ambika Soni, the then Union Minister for Culture, India. A permanent exhibition on earth is housed in a two storied hemispherical building that displays the details of the southern hemisphere in the ground floor and northern hemisphere in the first floor. Slicing a huge earth globe at the centre of the hall into 12 segments vertically in each hemisphere, important features of each segment such as physical geography, lands and people, flora and fauna and other dynamic natural phenomenon on earth have been highlighted around the central globe with the modern display technologies such as attractive visuals, interactive multimedia, video walls, panoramic videos, tilting tables, computer kiosks and 3-D effects theatre wearing a special Polaroid spectacle.

Evolution Park

A theme tour of 1300 square meter covering 7 large walk through dioramas with 71 robotic pre-historic animals, 26 dinosaurs and 140 early plant model set to their periods. It portrays the story of evolution of animal life, specially the extinct species.

Space Odyssey

Comprising Space Theatre equipped with Helios Star Ball planetarium supported by 150 special effect projectors and Astrovision 10/70 Large format Film Projection system housed in a 23 meter diameter tilted dome having unidirectional seating arrangement for 360 person, fascinating and immersive shows on sciences. Now the Astrovision film Adventures in Wild California [8] of 40 minutes duration has been screening from June, 2013.

3-D Vision Theater.
A show based on stereo back projection system where visitors experience 3D effect by Polaroid spectacles.

Mirror Magic.
There are 35 exhibits based on reflection of light.

Time Machine.
30-seater motion simulator provides virtual experience of space flight or journey into unknown world sitting in a casual maneuvered by hydraulic motion control system.

Maritime Centre

Depicts maritime history of India, artifacts, dioramas and interactive exhibits on shipping and navigation systems. There is an unmanned quiz corner also.

Science Park
Kids are experiencing ride through Möbius Band at the Science Park.

In a tropical country like India, the outdoor is sunny and more inviting than the indoors for most part of the year. In a Science Park, people come closer to plants, animals and other objects in their natural surroundings and also learn about the basic principles of science in an open air learning environment. The park interactive exhibits are engineered so as to tolerate all the weather. Science Park has become the integral part in all the centres of NCSM. It comprises Caterpillar Ride, Gravity Coaster, Musical Fountain, Road Train, Cable Cars, Monorail Cycle, butterfly nursery and several exhibits on physical and life sciences and a maze set up in a lush green ambience.

Other facilities

Convention Centre Complex

Grand Theater:
2232 seating capacity main auditorium with stage for 100 performers at a time is the largest auditorium in eastern India.

Mini Auditorium:
392 seating capacity, with stage for 30 performers at a time is ideal for smaller conferences and shows.

Seminar Building:
Comprising eleven halls, four with seating capacity of 100 persons, two with seating capacity of 40 persons each, two with seating capacity of 30 persons each, two with seating capacity of 15 persons and a meeting room for 12 persons, is ideal venue for conference, seminars, meeting and workshops.

Science Exploration Hall

Another huge building with 5,500 sq.m of floor space is coming up which will accommodate three galleries including 'Evolution of Life on Earth'.

406009-1.jpg

science-city-2.JPG

Science-City-kolkata.jpg

b_science_city.jpg

K-7.jpg

634940396338852747_Science_city_kolkat_rope_way.jpg

2002123100791701.jpg

28180086.jpg

800px-Science_City_-_Earth_Exploration_Hall_-_Panorama_-_Kolkata_2009-06-26.jpg

photo_science-city-auditorium_em-bypass_kolkata@g8f6wjxg_hhr_2_300.jpg

I am waiting for the new airport near Durgapur... This will take the region to new level..

Kolkata - Dhaka - Sister cities!

There is an adjacent city currently in progress called Purbachal. Its a govt. project. It will be called new Dhaka. That's a huge project. There will be apartment complexes, lush green areas,, Universities, even the prime minister office will also be moved to Purbachal Dhaka. It will be a planned satellite city. Even India's Sahara group want some land of Purbachal and other adjacent areas of Dhaka to build their apartment projects but local real estate businessmen are opposing it. Also Tata Group wants land for their appartment projects. These are in files now.

There are some small parks in Dhaka but large parks are only 6.

Ramna Park, Chondrima Uddan, Sohrawardy Uddan. Botanical Garden, Shishu Park and Dhaka zoo .

The only thing Dhaka needs is good public transport system. We are already late in building metro but if metro is not build soon the traffic situation will be horrible and it will be hell but for temporary relief flyovers are doing its work.

Shikara Boat Ride at Nalban Boating Complex, Saltlake, Kolkata.

dscf5297vc9.jpg

26650_1_deal.jpg

Nalban-Lake.gif

K_Nalban_M_1.jpg

406008-1.jpg

2675839620_42aea606bd.jpg

2231_boat.jpg

Black Headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) fishing at Nalban Fisheries , East Kolkata Wetlands.

6758068259_4cd2517fdc_z.jpg

Red Avadavat - Nalban, Kolkata

36146494d2a05981ec60.jpg

Kingfisher - Nalban, Kolkata

blue_eared_kingfishers_nalban_saltlake_kolkata_1.jpg

Biodiversity at its best!! A modern city with old world charm, yet so close to nature!! Our Kolkata!!

Mallus beat anyone in that field! :P

Dhaka was named after Dhakeshwari temple, or the temple was named after Dhaka as claimed by some Bangladeshis here. Dhaka in Bengali means hidden, Dhakeshawri -- hidden goddess.

So which one is better, you seem to have tried both? :lol:

There are many theories:
1.Dhaka was named after Dhakeswari.
2.Dhakeswari was named after Dhaka(Goddess of Dhaka)-highly unlikely.
3.The region where the sounds of Dhak during Durga Puja reached was called Dhaka.
4.The region was famous for Polash tree.Another name of Polash flower is Dhak.
5.The name was originally called Dhakka which means watch tower.-by far the most credible theory according to Historians.

First building is millennium city sec5. I had my office there...... The oldest building in sec5......

Is it? I think first building in Sector-V was either SDF or PWC old building. :undecided: I still remember entire sec-V was a farming land, Rajarhat was yet to happen back then.

As a resident of Kolkata, all I can say is, overpopulation is driving us nuts.....and the development of infrastructure, which is ridiculously slow as compared to the rate of increase in population is making things unbearable......:hitwall:
P.S: I'm talking about 'proper' kolkata, not the newly developing adjacent cities/towns....

Don't worry, our city is also growing in size. :)

I am waiting for the new airport near Durgapur... This will take the region to new level..

Yes! It is an important project. I have posted about it also.

Kolkata - Dhaka - Sister cities!

Have you been to Nalban? Tell me the truth!! :D

Did you check those Royal Calcutta Golf Club photos in previous page? I didn't know RCGC is that reputed in the world!! :woot:

There is an adjacent city currently in progress called Purbachal. Its a govt. project. It will be called new Dhaka. That's a huge project. There will be apartment complexes, lush green areas,, Universities, even the prime minister office will also be moved to Purbachal Dhaka. It will be a planned satellite city. Even India's Sahara group want some land of Purbachal and other adjacent areas of Dhaka to build their apartment projects but local real estate businessmen are opposing it. Also Tata Group wants land for their appartment projects. These are in files now.

There are some small parks in Dhaka but large parks are only 6.

Ramna Park, Chondrima Uddan, Sohrawardy Uddan. Botanical Garden, Shishu Park and Dhaka zoo .

The only thing Dhaka needs is good public transport system. We are already late in building metro but if metro is not build soon the traffic situation will be horrible and it will be hell but for temporary relief flyovers are doing its work.

Yes, metro can solve most of your public transport problem, it will also reduce oil consumption. Check my post on Metro project with map, Dhaka needs something like that to connect all corners of the city, this public transport system is fast, clean, & environment friendly. :)

Is it? I think first building in Sector-V was either SDF or PWC old building. :undecided: I still remember entire sec-V was a farming land, Rajarhat was yet to happen back then.

Don't worry, our city is also growing in size. :)

Yes! It is an important project. I have posted about it also.

Have you been to Nalban? Tell me the truth!! :D

Did you check those Royal Calcutta Golf Club photos in previous page? I didn't know RCGC is that reputed in the world!! :woot:

Yes, metro can solve most of your public transport problem, it will also reduce oil consumption. Check my post on Metro project with map, Dhaka needs something like that to connect all corners of the city, this public transport system is fast, clean, & environment friendly. :)

yeah I have been!! :p:D:tup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom