What's new

Dhaka wants to get connected with 4-nation TAPI gas pipeline

Pakistan should not provide gas to India, unless they open water lines under disputed territory act.

Captain_Planet is looking to the future... Great. :tup:

But it's nearly impossible to grow 8% for 50 years.

For the recent few years BD is achieving about 6%+ growth. It is typical for a developing country to achieve this because initially a kind of EFFICIENCY is brought to the economy. In case of BD, it is its agriculture that has brought about quite an efficiency, and soon it will not increase that much. However, it is also the garments sector that has pulled up the economy. Foreign remittance is also another factor that helped.

But, note that these are labour intensive and not capital intensive sectors. But, in the very near future the growth of these three sectors will be zero. So, In order to grow further BD economy needs new capital to build up new sectors. But, this is not happening because of little improvement in the power sector. So, it is possible that the growth will be very low if new funds are not invested in power and industry sector.

7.5% future growth is a far cry from the reality in BD. It is showing signs of strains. The planners must take drastic steps like privatising the production of power. If the unit cost of power rises govt can subsidise it. But, the present policy of holding this sector in the govt is discouraging the production of power itself.

You really are a stubborn person who sticks to his wrong ideas about national economic development. You have to understand the process of national development instead of randomly posting computer links. Because you just do not know about the process of development you are here asking us to believe about a future myth.

I have no answer for your question because I am not a semi God. Ask the GoB, IMF and WB the same question for this and next
year. They will give you three different answers. What are you here to prove? Why are you beating about the bush and wasting your time on some hypothetical $5 trillion GDP that has so far been achieved only by the USA, Japan and now China?

Ask GoB to manufacture at least the needles that BD imports from China to feed all the sewing machines used in the garments sector. When it is done come and talk about $5 or $50 trillion. Otherwise, stop all these hollow talks. It is embarassing for all of us. We are a small country with a small $120 billion GDP. It will be a long run before we are even a $500 billion GDP. So, why some
one should talk like a futuristic Prophet that BD economy will rise to a $5 trillion in certain and certain year?

Bro I have talked about GDP(PPP) not nominal. GDP(PPP) of Bangladesh is now 283 billion.

Yes no one can make exact project but everyone agrees GDP growth for Bangladesh for this year will remain in between 6-7%.

So coming to your own argument even if we take a very moderate GDP growth in between 4-6% for the next 4 decades GDP will be in between 1.3 trillion to 2.7 trillion.

We are talking about this GDP after 40 years not now. The world has changed a lot since 1970. Fall of soviet union, rise of china, unification of 2 Germany, shift of global power to Asia are few to mention. This trend will continue in the coming decades. Young population in the developing world will drive this growth. In the same manner aging population in western world will lead their decline. Countries like Germany, France, Japan, Italy, Spain etc will decline gradually.

Yes you are right if you measure the GDP nominally. Even with 7.5% growth rate bd will have 2 trillion usd economy and with average 4% growth around 1 trillion as you have said. But in terms of GDP(PPP) it will be higher.

Hope I have clarified my point. Lastly whether bd will grow at 7.5% or less or more time will only say. But you should have a realistic aim to achieve 4% or 7.5% or others gdp growth else no one will achieve anything just will remain as aimless boat.

Right now the government is giving no permission for any new factory or industry. It is totally stopped due to lack of energy.

Captain_Planet is looking to the future... Great. :tup:

But it's nearly impossible to grow 8% for 50 years.

Yes no doubt difficult but not impossible. But if the 2 political parties does not change it will be almost impossible. On the other hand china maintained more then 10% GDP growth for last 3 decades. India is expecting to grow at 8% for the next 40 years, Nigeria 8.5%. Here bd policy makers aim to follow the Chinese model. All the projection is based on that. But if electricity and infrastructure development has not been done quickly bd will loose this opportunity as many of the manufacturing job is diversifying from china and bd is aiming to get that. If bd can not it will go to countries like Vietnam,Indonesia or India.

I have some words for Captain Planet... Future ka kuch patha nahi hai :P

Read my last 2 comment I said the same thing but you need to set up a realistic target. Current target is to achieve 8% growth rate by 2015 and 10% by 2021. But nothing will come serving at plate. Policy makers will have to make proper plan to achieve that.

India and Nigeria are EXPECTED. China is a different story, they have trade relations with almost every country.

Yes no doubt difficult but not impossible. But if the 2 political parties does not change it will be almost impossible. On the other hand china maintained more then 10% GDP growth for last 3 decades. India is expecting to grow at 8% for the next 40 years, Nigeria 8.5%. Here bd policy makers aim to follow the Chinese model. All the projection is based on that. But if electricity and infrastructure development has not been done quickly bd will loose this opportunity as many of the manufacturing job is diversifying from china and bd is aiming to get that. If bd can not it will go to countries like Vietnam,Indonesia or India.

Read my last 2 comment I said the same thing but you need to set up a realistic target. Current target is to achieve 8% growth rate by 2015 and 10% by 2021. But nothing will come serving at plate. Policy makers will have to make proper plan to achieve that.

All the 3 countries you have mentioned above are all regional powerhouses or with lots of natural resources. Bangladesh is neither....on average BD can grow by 4-5% by 2050 at best.

All the 3 countries you have mentioned above are all regional powerhouses or with lots of natural resources. Bangladesh is neither....on average BD can grow by 4-5% by 2050 at best.

Ever if it is 4-5% policy makers needs to make proper plan how that can be achieved decades ago but 4-5% is a very conservative value. if high reserve at bob story is true it will play a much bigger role. Nigeria may be a power house but it is full of ethnic violence. In many hdi it is much lagged behind then many African countries. I did not mention Vietnam, Iraq, Sri Lanka etc also.

^^^ There are new reports coming out every year... Believe me, someone cannot predict what growth you will have in 2050. If you can, then prove it.

apo_Asura

No, both Nigeria and BD have great potential. Nigeria will probably be most developed in Africa... Nigeria right now has the largest internet population in Africa.

Same with BD. BD has a huge middle class. Also huge potential for textile factories... BD just overlapped Pakistan in textile mills.

^^^ He's saying Pakistan should not give gas from TAPI to India, unless India destroy's it's small dams in Kashmir.

Back
Top Bottom