My comment on The Economist.

Japan's relations with Russia - The end of the affair | The Economist

gHlPGuy.jpg

----------

My comment on The Fiscal Times

Russia’s Move in Crimea Sends China a Dangerous Message | The Fiscal Times

TYD76I7.jpg

Hollywood Documentary Brings Diaoyu Islands Truth to New Audience

Hollywood writer and director Chris D. Nebe screened a new documentary about the Diaoyu Islands at the REAL D Theater on Tuesday, saying he hopes to show Americans the truth about the territory.

“Diaoyu Islands, The Truth” is produced by Monarex Hollywood Corporation and is one of twelve documentaries in Nebe’s “Mysterious China” series introducing Chinese history, culture and rapid development to the world.

The debut attracted nearly 100 viewers, who learned from the 40-minute film that the Diaoyu Islands have been Chinese territory since ancient times, and that Imperial Japan annexed the Diaoyu Islands from China in 1895 after the First Sino-Japanese War.

The short feature holds the view that “the real Diaoyu Islands conflict goes from the so-called administrative rights of the United States. After the Second World War, instead of returning the islands to China, the United States claimed ‘administrative rights.’ In 1971, America gave the islands back to Japan, ignoring China’s long-standing claim.”

In the last part of the film, Nebe asserts that “America can quell the tension by encouraging his Japanese ally to return the Diaoyu Islands to China and apologize to Chinese people for the war crimes of Imperial Japan.”

“My view point is that… the truth about Diaoyu Islands issues are completely wrong told by Western media. I hope the movie will change it. We are pushing to help Americans know the truth of Diaoyu Islands,” Nebe said.

Japan should do the right thing and give the islands back to China, while Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe should go to Nanjing to apologize to China for the war crimes of Imperial Japan. These islands should not be a case for disrupting peace and harmony between China and Japan, he added.

Klaus Schmitt came to see the film with his wife. “Very little of my friends know Diaoyu Islands, only if you who are politically active or interested in history, but most people don’t know it,” he said.

He believed that the film gave him a neutral overall view on the issue.

Audience member Lynn Crandall, who works at the University of Southern California, said the documentary encouraged peace. “The film is a strong statement for us to try to find peace, we must find a way to share the world in brotherhood. I believe we should be neutral. I think we are too much on the side of Japan, I think we should work for peace, not for divide.”

Anthony D. Ross, a lawyer who said he did not previously know about the conflict between China and Japan over the Diaoyu Islands, told Xinhua, “It tells a lot that I did not know.”

“Diaoyu Islands, The Truth” will be broadcast on American public television and is also available on the Internet, according to Monarex.

-------------

One fine documentary.

"Western countries have always been biasing against China. Japan is an ally with America. Folks in western countries barely know the truth about China, not just the dispute of Diaoyu Island, but also China's history, society, politics, Taiwan and Tibet. You know what medias want you to know. The information is always filtered by media's attitude towards China. I am just glad to see someone is willing to show the truth. Japan refuses to admit and apology for their flagitious war crimes. Japan refuses to admit it brought trauma to several countries by invading them. Let's say what's done is done, China and Korea are willing to let go of the trauma. But Japan still refuses to apologize, and Japanese government recently revised their history text books by teaching their youngster incorrect history. Japanese right-wingists are rising, America should let people see the truth, instead of taking part with Japan."

www.imdb [dot] com/title/tt3231886/?licb=0.4819892426021397

Obama says US-Japan treaty applies to disputed Senkaku Islands ahead of visit
Published April 23, 2014
Associated Press
Facebook11 Twitter116 Gplus1

President Barack Obama confirmed Wednesday that America's mutual security treaty with Japan applies to the islands at the center of a territorial dispute between China and Japan.

"The policy of the United States is clear," he said in a written response to questions published in Japan's Yomiuri newspaper before his arrival in Tokyo at the start of a four-country Asia tour.

"The Senkaku islands are administered by Japan" and therefore fall under the U.S.-Japan treaty, he wrote. "And we oppose any unilateral attempts to undermine Japan's administration of these islands."

His statement seems aimed at reassuring Japan that the U.S. would come to its defense if China were to seize the islands, known as the Diayou in China. Russia's annexation of Crimea has sparked concern about America's political will to protect Asian allies, notably in Japan and the Philippines.

Obama said the United States is deepening its ties with China, but "our engagement with China does not and will not come at the expense of Japan or any other ally."

He told the Yomiuri that the U.S. will continue to take steps to reduce the impact of its military presence in Okinawa, but added "it's important to remember that the U.S. Marine Corps presence on Okinawa is absolutely critical to our mutual security. It plays a key role in the defense of Japan."

1398235339507.jpg-620x349.jpg

Tokyo:Islands at the centre of a row between Tokyo and Beijing are covered by the US-Japan defence alliance, Barack Obama told a newspaper ahead of his arrival in Tokyo.

Mr Obama, on a tour of Asia that will also take in South Korea, the Philippines and Malaysia, is the first sitting US president to explicitly affirm that hostile action against the island chain would spark an American reaction.

"The policy of the United States is clear - the Senkaku Islands are administered by Japan and therefore fall within the scope of Article 5 of the US-Japan Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security," Mr Obama said in a written interview with Japan'sYomiuri Shimbunnewspaper.

"We oppose any unilateral attempts to undermine Japan's administration of these islands," he said.

Several senior US figures, including former secretary of state Hillary Clinton and Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel, have made similar statements, which Tokyo covets as a way to warn China away from territories it claims as the Diaoyu islands.

Mr Obama's week-long tour of Asia is being dubbed a "rebalancing" eastward of US foreign policy by the White House.

Although China is not on his itinerary, its presence will be felt on every leg at a time of complex regional disputes and questions about US strategy.

On Wednesday, China's state-run Xinhua news agency published a comment piece criticising US policy in the region as "a carefully calculated scheme to cage the rapidly developing Asian giant".

"The United States should reappraise its anachronistic hegemonic alliance system and stop pampering its chums like Japan and the Philippines that have been igniting regional tensions with provocative moves," it said.

The row over ownership of the Senkakus is not new, but has burst to the fore in the past two years, with paramilitary vessels from both sides jostling in nearby waters to assert control.

In November, China declared an air defence identification zone over the East China Sea, including the skies above the islands.

"I've also told (Chinese) President Xi (Jinping) that all our nations have an interest in dealing constructively with maritime issues, including in the East China Sea," Mr Obama told Yomiuri Shimbun.

"Disputes need to be resolved through dialogue and diplomacy, not intimidation and coercion," he said.

Mr Obama will be striving to show Beijing that the US poses no threat and does not intend to contain it.

"We welcome the continuing rise of a China that is stable, prosperous and peaceful and plays a responsible role in global affairs. And our engagement with China does not and will not come at the expense of Japan or any other ally," Mr Obama said.

Read more:Disputed islands part of US-Japan alliance: Obama

I would expect Abe to give in when Obama meets him to discuss the TPP, after the same old "we support Japan" rhetoric. If not, Obama will face double wammy when he doesn't get what American manufacturers/producers want in penetrating the Japanese market, and pissing off China. :D

It cannot be clearer, Thanks Mr. Obama for your statement

Whatever, it is not important what Obama said, he could say something good in Japan, meanwhile he could also show goodwill to China. But no one can deny China's power in this area even if China response nothing.

I would expect Abe to give in when Obama meets him to discuss the TPP, after the same old "we support Japan" rhetoric. If not, Obama will face double wammy when he doesn't get what American manufacturers/producers want in penetrating the Japanese market, and pissing off China. :D

that is exacly why obama is giving off foul air which will intoxicate abe to sign tpp!

obama has done nothing during his term and the international image of usa has been on the decline

the 'allies' wont trust him
tpp and japan are his last ditch to save his arse

The next president will have his own agenda on Diaoyu Islands

Chinese naval commander says misfire may happen if Japan keeps provocations in East China Sea
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Malcolm Fraser warns Australia risks war with China unless US military ties cut back

Malcolm Fraser warns Australia risks war with China unless US military ties cut back
April 25, 2014
Mark Kenny

With US President Barack Obama visiting north Asia (although not China) and confirming the US would back Japan in any conflict over disputed islands in the East China Sea, Mr Fraser has called for a more basic interpretation of the ANZUS treaty, restricting its scope to consultation initially – rather than the assumption of automatic military involvement.

He has also called for a new debate about Australian-American military-to-military ties, warning that the secretive Pine Gap facility would become a military target as it would likely be pivotal to the US capability to identify and neutralise Chinese nuclear weapons sites.

Mr Fraser described the American "pivot" into the western Pacific, announced by Mr Obama in the Australian Parliament in 2011, and which relies heavily on Australia in an operational sense, as another strategic error that commits Australia to a wrong-headed US strategy of containment of China.

"Military encirclement was necessary in relation to the Soviet Union but China is quite a different story," Mr Fraser said.

Back
Top Bottom