What's new

Dimensions of the drone dilemma

Dimensions of the drone dilemma

By Air Cdr Khalid Iqbal (R)

While Pakistan is reviewing its new relationship with the United States; the latter has again started drone attacks on the former, which shows American double game with Pakistan.

Visit Original Article Here...
Ok, OBL who was caught in pakistan (if abbotabad is in pak ??) recently, then u don't think pakistan has already played double game with US ???
See from all the angles...sir

Ok, OBL who was caught in pakistan (if abbotabad is in pak ??) recently, then u don't think pakistan has already played double game with US ???

Sir its the other way around!!!!! pakistan didnt play double game...US did,not just with pakistan but with their own people too.that they caught...oh i mean killed...oh i mean threw obl in the sea:D

You replied back in 5 minutes!!!! have you read the article??

While Pakistan is reviewing its new relationship with the United States; the latter has again started drone attacks on the former, which shows American double game with Pakistan.

The only double game is Pakistans.

When Interior Minister Rehman Malik advised the US to hold off “alleged Predator attacks until after the Bajaur operation”, Gilani brushed off the remarks saying:

“I don’t care if they do it as long as they get the right people. We’ll protest in the National Assembly and then ignore it.”

WikiLeaks: Gilani open to drone strikes on ‘right people’ – The Express Tribune

I've said this a million times - Intelligence from ground sources is absolutely critical to these drone strikes. The Intel most often comes from Pakistani sources.

The drones don't fly around and randomly zoom in on people's faces to see if it is a terrorist. They are launched in anticipation of the presence of a terrorist or group. This all requires cooperation at the highest levels of Pakistan's military and government.

The GoP denies this, in general, so as to deflect anger.

I've said this a million times - Intelligence from ground sources is absolutely critical to these drone strikes. The Intel most often comes from Pakistani sources.

perhaps also from local US assets other than Pakistani sourced HUMINT?
And that is where some mistakes may be made due to not perceiving the threat properly.
I quote this paragraph from a blog written by a Pakistan Airforce Officer who is very respected in his community on his experiences whilst serving as Base commander of Jacobabad Airbase whilst US forces were stationed there.

reproduced from
Aeronaut: Jacobabad Tales

One day, Col Steven McCain, the handsome and athletic new Commander of 438th AEW, rang me up and said something important had to be discussed. “My place or yours?” I inquired, to which he replied that he was hurrying over to my office. We skipped the usual exchange of pleasantries and McCain sombrely started by asking me if I had any intelligence information of some infiltration on the Base. “Not that I know of,” I replied, taken aback and somewhat embarrassed that as the Base Commander, I wasn’t aware of such a serious breach. “I would request you to look into it,” McCain suggested. “What kind of infiltration is it?” I inquired, to which McCain replied that it was highly classified, but “I will let you into a bit of it; we have credible reports that there are Taliban on the Base.” Phew! “This surely needs to be checked in quick time,” I replied and requested more details but wasn’t able to extract any more information. I immediately informed the Director General Air Intelligence (DGAI) about this development, who seemed as surprised as I was. Given the intelligence gathering wherewithal the Americans had, we were sure that something serious had happened which had somehow escaped our notice. I immediately went into a closed-door session with my intelligence staff and apprised them of the development. The consensus that emerged was that unless more details are known, all we could do was to intensify security checks and be more alert, which were rather loose plugs for a serious breach. After a day of intense speculation, I again met McCain and told him that I needed a lead to make some headway, for which he may have to get special permission from his Headquarters. This time he promised to get more information and shortly after our meeting, he again dropped by my office.

“There are several Taliban who have been identified on your Base. While we are keeping them under observation, at this point in time I can confirm at least ‘one Taliban’ who could be an imminent threat to us. He has been observing our activities and has been making copious notes which need to be immediately retrieved. Any delay could endanger American lives,” continued McCain. Where, pray, does he operate from, I wondered, when McCain volunteered more information. “There, I will show you,” as we shuffled out of my office. “You see that water tank, there … right under it. He is there, right now, according to our latest reports.” I had to rush to see this ‘Taliban’ in the act so I sped off, waving a see-you-later to McCain.

As I approached the water tank, I saw a familiar figure sitting on a chair under the tank. The other day, I had stopped by to inquire about the overflowing water and he was there to explain a problem with the float valve. I asked him if he had anyone else to give him company to which he replied that he had to do an eight-hour shift, alone at a stretch, which was just as well as he got time to prepare for his private studies. I inquired if I could have a look at his notes, which he was more than keen to show me. A valve operator couldn’t have made better use of his time, if his poetry and prose notes were any indicator of his activities. I asked him about the American way of life that he was exposed to and he replied that it was amusing to see men and women working like ‘ants’. “We have a lot to learn from them,” he suggested, as I walked back to my jeep.

I called up my Field Liaison Unit officer in-charge to keep a tab on the water tank attendant and report his activities and his contacts over the next few days. Next morning I confronted McCain and asked him about the remaining Taliban. He said that his people were keeping them under watch, but the water tank guy was of greatest concern to his higher-ups. When I told him that he had been interrogated, his ears lit up. He heard with disbelief when I told him that the guy was an employee of the Military Engineering Services and was performing his duties as a water tank attendant for some years. The notes had not been retrieved as his exams were nearing, which got him wondering if I was talking about the right person. “Wasn’t he wearing a grey ‘Taliban’ dress and had a beard? Has he not been observing stuff being off-loaded from transport aircraft? Does he not maintain a log of all activities on the tarmac?” Intelligence information could not have been more fetid, I thought, as McCain rattled off those questions while I wryly smiled, much to his consternation. “Yes,” I replied, “he was wearing a ‘shalwar-kameez’ and had a beard but by that criterion, quite a large portion of Pakistani population could be classified as Taliban. The fellow had never seen such large aircraft disgorging tons and tons of cargo, off-loaded in minutes, so obviously he was keen to see what was going on. When he was not distracted by US personnel jogging on the tarmac in the mid-day sun, he got back to his studies, taking notes. I don’t see what is all the fuss about,” I curtly told McCain. He agreed to pass on the results of my investigation to the concerned authorities. In the event, there was a silence over the Taliban affair as the paranoia subsided.

Coming on the heels of the Taliban-on-the-Base affair, McCain announced in one of our morning meetings that an attempt had been made to shoot down one of the Chinook helicopters! Duty demanded that an investigation be launched immediately, no matter that I viewed the report with some scepticism. McCain explained that one of the Chinooks, while returning from a mission in late afternoon, had been ‘targeted’ near the Base within the approach funnel. No missile had been fired, but the ramp-gunner had seen a man carrying a missile on his shoulder, in the undershoot of the airfield. Apparently, he scurried off when he saw the machine-gunner aiming at him. I assured McCain that the matter would be investigated and, immediately set about alerting the Rangers, in whose security purview the airfield approach funnel was. I went to the purported scene of action, and was more than satisfied with the state of security. My estimate was that since the Rangers had deployed fairly heavily in the approach funnel, there was no possibility of an unnoticed intrusion; certainly not so with a missile on one’s shoulder. The Rangers’ squadron commander told me that possibly, what seemed like a missile from the air may have been some farming implement being carried by a farmer. The approach funnel land was under cultivation and the farmers had been allowed to move about with Rangers’ permission.

Next morning I assured McCain that the security was very tight and, it was virtually impossible for an intruder to undertake such a daring foray into Rangers-controlled territory. He expressed satisfaction, more out of politeness than conviction, as I sensed his demeanour to be somewhat tentative. A few days later, he again complained of yet another targeting attempt on a Chinook helicopter, which was quite discomfiting for me. I again went through the exercise of checking with the Rangers who had the same answer as last time. To be sure, I asked the DGAI to take up the issue with the GHQ, lest the PAF is blamed for not addressing security issues earnestly. I thought it prudent to let the Army make its own assessment and recommend reinforcements, if it was necessary.

In the meantime, I was told by McCain that the USAF’s Office of Special Investigations (OSI) wanted to make an on-site assessment and sought my permission to let its agents scour the area. I was under strict instructions not to let any US personnel out of the Base but, in the event, I passed on McCain’s request to the DGAI. After necessary consultation he gave the go-ahead, with instructions for complete secrecy and safety of the agents. When I conveyed the permission to McCain, he was very grateful and told me that two agents would visit me and take necessary instructions for the recce tour. Minutes later, two very excited young men bulging at the biceps, whom I had seen before but did not know of their identity, knocked at my office. By way of an introduction, they told me that they had undertaken many dangerous missions in various theatres of operations, some involving use of force as well. I told them that this may not be necessary since it was going to be more of a cultural tour from within the confines of my 4-wheeler. All they needed was a new Pakistani dress, which would be arranged for them. One of my staff officers was instructed to buy two pairs of shalwar-kameez and help them lash the drawstrings, etc.

In late afternoon, I drove to my office to collect the two agents, who actually turned out to be three. The third one was an American of Pakistani-origin who had been contracted by OSI to help with translations during investigations. They were waiting inside a Humvee, the ubiquitous US troop utility vehicle, and on seeing me, emerged with big grins on their faces. They were completely unrecognisable and two of them looked more Pathan than American. One had a colourful ‘duster’ over his shoulder while the other kicked off the charade with a pair of Peshawari chappals. All were ‘well-kitted’ as they told me, which I understood as meaning well-armed, going by the bulges in their dresses. They moved into my vehicle and we drove off through the dung-lined streets and appallingly ****** neighbourhoods of Jacobabad. Once clear of the embarrassing mess, I regained my composure and put on the hat of a tour-guide. The OSI agents seemed awe-struck by the sights and sounds; they found it strange that everyone was wearing the ‘Taliban dress,’ and most of them had beards and turbans. People were returning to their villages after shopping in Jacobabad and everyone seemed to be using their heads as luggage racks, deftly balancing the wares. I spotted one Baluch family carrying a ‘Quetta stove’ in bits and pieces, including a long chimney pipe balanced on the shoulder of a young man. I couldn’t resist taking a dig and allowed a prize to anyone who could spot a SAM in the next 30 seconds. The hint was well registered as the agents started asking about the ‘other uses’ of the pipe! Shortly thereafter, we spotted a man with the side-beams of a ‘charpoy’ slung over his shoulder. “What could that be,” I muttered? “Hmmm,” was all I heard in reply. During the drive, I was lucky to be able to point out at least a dozen men with items on their heads or shoulders that could be easily construed as missile launchers from a distance. After driving for about 45 minutes, I thought we were near the risky Baluchistan frontier and decided to turn around. On the way back, I pointed out the Rangers’ deployment in the approach funnel of the runway and the agents seemed quite satisfied with the security measures in place. Next morning McCain dropped in my office to thank me for the useful recce tour and said that he had been briefed about everything. “We now have a better perspective of life in this part of the world,” he noted, much to my relief.

Such misinterpretations of intelligence and the resulting loss of innocent lives instead of terrorist ones are the reasons that drones have become the target of the people anger in Pakistan.
Perhaps there is a need for greater co-operation..or as Pakistan requested.. control of the Drones.

Back
Top Bottom