What's new

Direct Energy Weapon a Strategic Game Changer for India?

funnydrdo.JPG

kali3.jpg

Rather than giving importance to other technologies, LASER development must be prioritized. I have worked in few optical transmission project which is based on laser, Laser device will be a hell sort of equipment in any area. With a speed of 3*10^8 m/s, and if we manage to develop high power laser it will be hell leathal against any target. If its made operational, we can be pretty confident that No body would even dare to attempt any nuclear, thermo nuclear fission thru missile. Can't even imagine how deadly it would be against ground units in case of a war.

DRDO has tested laser against airborne targets.

I think India should concentrate money and energy for DEW weapons, hypersonic missiles, neutron bombs, Network/cyber security, space, UCAV and submarines.

Standard issue RayBan's for the PAF too - to be worn with any HUD. Double whammy!

Netra. India should focus more on Netra. That thing has prospects!

Rather than giving importance to other technologies, LASER development must be prioritized. I have worked in few optical transmission project which is based on laser, Laser device will be a hell sort of equipment in any area. With a speed of 3*10^8 m/s, and if we manage to develop high power laser it will be hell leathal against any target. If its made operational, we can be pretty confident that No body would even dare to attempt any nuclear, thermo nuclear fission thru missile. Can't even imagine how deadly it would be against ground units in case of a war.

Although it's remarkable potential allows it to be touted as the holy grail of weapon systems, it's really not. It can be beat and that too with relatively much cheaper technology. The performance of laser weapons can be significantly decreased or negated altogether by phenomena like fog, rain, snow and smoke which can disperse or refract the weapon’s beam and render it ineffective. Energy absorbing materials such as ablative armour, of the type on the US space shuttles, could withstand the heat of a directed charge and prevent it from passing on to its intended target. It's wacky, has a lot of potential and it's great under optimum operating conditions but it's not completely fool-proof.

Rail-guns, friend...rail-guns! Now they are a completely different story. A 15 kg object travelling at 3 km/s designed to hit a 5m target, 200 kms away....holy hell. Pack up and leave, there's no stopping that thing!

How about having one of these in outer space and targeting any missile that is targeted at us? I saw something similar in some james bond movie.

Dispersion is possible due to bad weather, but the beam would be still powerful enough to destroy any missile/metal(if the beam is able to heat the body up to 400 degree Celsius) i believe dispersion wont reduce the power of the beam drastically that too fog/smoke and other small dust particles? Even high frequency microwave signals aren't, how come laser beam? no way.The speed of laser is 300000000m/s, approx 3lakh km/s which makes them capable to reach any part of the earth with in a fraction of second. Already NASA planned to destroy comets through lasers last year, multiple articles are there regarding this in google(I dont know how to paste the link thru my mobile ). When destroying a comet is feasible, why can't a missile? With in a second a target can be hit theoretically with the majestic speed of light/laser, practically how effective it would be is depend up on the output power of laser. In my personal view, I think satellites would be in best position to do the job, not sure how far it would be feasible in practical.

Last edited:
And Light Sabres, plasma cannons, phasers, disrupters, photon, gravimetric and quantum torpedoes, etc etc.

(Weapons straight out of Star Trek...:D )

And then DRDO is onto making DEW weapons? Then expect them to become operational not before the year of our Lord, 2032. But scientists have found a 1,300-foot asteroid heading for Earth that could wipe out mankind in 2032! :(

Damn!! That's good money gone down the drain! Jeez! :mad:

Keep yourself up to date. LASTEC has developed and tested DEW laser against airborne targets. It will not take two mins for me to kick you but read first before making laugh of yourself.

Saurav Jha's Blog : A new year for DRDO

Its a fantastic read, written by the former director General of DRDO....

When insects talk people do not ear them, they are either laughable or ignorable. :lol: You are so tiny and harmless.... lol

Read this post of mine from Oct, 2010....

https://defence.pk/threads/drdos-air-defence-laser-dazzler.75595/

Last edited:
Although it's remarkable potential allows it to be touted as the holy grail of weapon systems, it's really not. It can be beat and that too with relatively much cheaper technology. The performance of laser weapons can be significantly decreased or negated altogether by phenomena like fog, rain, snow and smoke which can disperse or refract the weapon’s beam and render it ineffective. Energy absorbing materials such as ablative armour, of the type on the US space shuttles, could withstand the heat of a directed charge and prevent it from passing on to its intended target. It's wacky, has a lot of potential and it's great under optimum operating conditions but it's not completely fool-proof.

Rail-guns, friend...rail-guns! Now they are a completely different story. A 15 kg object travelling at 3 km/s designed to hit a 5m target, 200 kms away....holy hell. Pack up and leave, there's no stopping that thing!
Laser is ultimate in transmission, nothing is invented till now beyond laser, if laser can be hampered by the factors u said, what would be the condition of radio frequency electomagnetic signals Which radar uses for transmission? Then how the radar will track the target and how the missile will hit the target?

What Star wars bc?? :mad: DRDO, meherbani karke LCA ka FOC isi saal haasil karado.:argh: Baad me sukh aur shanti se baithkar direct energy weapon, star war satellite, asteroid killer, blackhole generator waghera waghera develop karo.:drag:

Well the laser itself won't be anything ground breaking. Today's production environment and R&D uses better and higher power lasers every day.

The ground breaking if anything will the telescopic lens assembly and the power management unit.

Think of the telescopic lens assembly as an adaptive lens just like the ones used in deep space telescopes which compensate for the atmospheric disturbance, but on steroids. This has to be mounted on a very smooth action gimbal. Any simple vibration could and will move the beam off course. Moreover the materials these entire beam handling unit uses have to be battle hardened.

Now we come to power handling unit. It's the most important part of the system. A simple solution may be to hook up a power plant to the system for power requirements. But it's not all about power required, how fast and consecutively the power is delivered to the devise. A one shot weapon will be worthless but again an infinite shot weapon which takes 3 hrs to reload is of no use again.

Back
Top Bottom