What's new

Doctor's mindset

I have reduced my salt intake to almost zero for a couple of months after my blood pressure first shoot straight to 220/110mmHg but when I left my medication after two months in favor of low salt mostly vegetarian diet my systolic b.p. never came back to the normal level.
Diet only help it can't replace drugs .

Just as I said doctors are reacting by attacking patients, making false, baseless, malicious and even irrelevant allegations, dodging questions and responsibilities.

Not a single doctor has asked questions such as:
What's the problem?
What's the ailment description?
What did the doctors you consulted say and do?
Why do you think the diagnosis is wrong?

Patients have every right to seek redressal for dereliction of duty, and/or to seek a second opinion in case the consultation is found unsatisfactory. To address the questions at hand..

Enquiring about the patient's history forms the cornerstone of management something that is taught and imbibed into every professional, OP here is perhaps nursing a personal grudge against the fraternity for reasons he only knows why.

The second and third point,too, comes under the ambit of the first one, and the OP is just displaying his haughty and ignorant self by needlessly exaggerating.

Doctor-patient communication is meant to be a two way street, most doctors lend a sympathetic ear subject to circumstances but the Wikipedia-enlightened generation needs to understand that they cannot shove diagnosis down the throats of those who tend to the diseased for a living. They are simply not qualified enough for that, questions may be asked to learn more about the afflicting illness or the future course of action.

If one is not satisfied, he may seek help elsewhere or better yet, try to get through the med school himself as suggested earlier in a post. That might be an eye-opener to the OP and will perhaps make him realise his folly.

How much is your meat, dairy and egg consumption during all this time?
During the first couple of months after diagnosis, I was really cautious and followed a very strict diet along with medicine as advised by the doctor. Meat and dairy intake were minimal and the egg was out of my breakfast for good.

Diet only help it can't replace drugs .
My doctor also suggested to not leave the medication even if your b.p. gets low but that is what you do in alternate medicine try to suppress symptoms until the disease fix itself so I'm trying to find the root cause first before any treatment.

During the first couple of months after diagnosis, I was really cautious and followed a very strict diet along with medicine as advised by the doctor. Meat and dairy intake were minimal and the egg was out of my breakfast for good.

My doctor also suggested to not leave the medication even if your b.p. gets low but that is what you do in alternate medicine try to suppress symptoms until the disease fix itself so I'm trying to find the root cause first before any treatment.

If abstaining from eating meats, dairy or eggs is not solving your blood pressure problem within couple of months, then you should better follow the advice of your doctor. Quite often people have genetic dispositions for various diseases that suddenly pop up at some point in their life.

Last edited:
British Asian doctors are so full of themselves and arrogant. I don't usually like to generalise but I keep on coming across them. They behave like they are God's gift to women and the most intelligent men walking on earth and so proud of their salaries and materialistic toys. Actually sort of decided that I'm not going to bother even getting to know a doc anymore with the intention of marriage of course.

And yes this was a rant :D

Doctors usual problem , they make a prescription then the patient won't follow it or follow it as he/she like not as doctor said so , they stop taking the medicine and after they don't get the result they complain that the doctor was not good enough. never ever they think the problem is with themselves.
diet only can control mild to moderate high blood pressure like 220/110mmHg you need drugs (that's stage 2 Hypertension) and diet alone is useless , we tell the patient to follow certain diets because that made their body more responsive to drugs and reduce the needs of more drugs also it will have protective effect for their organs like kidneys brain or heart.

I have reduced my salt intake to almost zero for a couple of months after my blood pressure first shoot straight to 220/110mmHg but when I left my medication after two months in favor of low salt mostly vegetarian diet my systolic b.p. never came back to the normal level.
You can't just stop medications like that without consulting with your doctor. Some drugs can cause rebound hypertension on sudden withdrawl.
Tests I would advise - kidney function tests to look for renal disease.
Blood electrolytes(mainly Na+, K+)
Also urinary metanephrines or VMA to rule out phaeochromocytoma(rare).

Diet control reduces the BP, but at your level, you will need a multi pronged approach.
Low salt, low cholesterol diet. Moderate exercise like swimming, cycling, brisk walks or jogging for something like 40 min daily.
Continue medications, and get the dose adjusted by your treating physician according to the control level.

The diastolic should be maintained below 90 mm Hg.

Lose weight if you're at an unhealthy level(BMI is a good indicator) .

Lastly, sometimes the issue is genetic, and your main recourse is drugs.

Edit- get a cholesterol test and ECG, for a thorough workup.

You can't just stop medications like that without consulting with your doctor. Some drugs can cause rebound hypertension on sudden withdrawl.

Diet control reduces the BP, but at your level, you will need a multi pronged approach.
Low salt, low cholesterol diet. Moderate exercise like swimming, cycling, brisk walks or jogging for something like 40 min daily.
Continue medications, and get the dose adjusted by your treating physician according to the control level.

Nice to know that you belong to the club too. :-)

All my tests including ecg, RFTs, cardiac profile, abdomen ultrasound and renal dopler are normal with a BMI of 24.6. The 220/110 mmHg was a one off episode few days after losing a close family member. My diastolic reads around 80 mmHg but the systolic is always raised.
These days doctors seem to be in rush mode and don't properly examine the patient and rely solely on hte medicine. Even after reporting a raised b.p. they don't bother checking my b.p. to verify the claim, seldom have I seen antone using thier steths or monitoring pulse these days. They just keep counting the patients for each day so that they can meet thier daily targets.

Nice to know that you belong to the club too. :-)
5 years in the field.

All my tests including ecg, RFTs, cardiac profile, abdomen ultrasound and renal dopler are normal with a BMI of 24.6. The 220/110 mmHg was a one off episode few days after losing a close family member. My diastolic reads around 80 mmHg but the systolic is always raised.
These days doctors seem to be in rush mode and don't properly examine the patient and rely solely on hte medicine. Even after reporting a raised b.p. they don't bother checking my b.p. to verify the claim, seldom have I seen antone using thier steths or monitoring pulse these days. They just keep counting the patients for each day so that they can meet thier daily targets.
What's your age?
And what's your BP like, these days?

(you maybe right. Quite a few doctors are just after the money. You, as a patient can find out who are not and stick to those doctors. Senior doctors frequently tend to skip the basic examination. Overconfidence, likely.)

5 years in the field.

What's your age?
And what's your BP like, these days?

(you maybe right. Quite a few doctors are just after the money. You, as a patient can find out who are not and stick to those doctors. Senior doctors frequently tend to skip the basic examination. Overconfidence, likely.)
28y
+-140/80 mmHg

Doctors are a strange bunch. They prescribe their patients healthy lifestyle that they don't follow themselves. They drink like there's no tomorrow. Overwork themselves and ignore their own symptoms. Despite having money they live a unhappy life too.

@padamchen

Doctors are a strange bunch. They prescribe their patients healthy lifestyle that they don't follow themselves. They drink like there's no tomorrow. Overwork themselves and ignore their own symptoms. Despite having money they live a unhappy life too.

@padamchen
Mere mooh ki baat chheen lii. When you mentioned doctors drinking I thought of tagging padamchen but then you yourself had done it.

Back
Top Bottom