What's new

Dr Shashi Tharoor MP - Britain Does Owe Reparations

I don't think they own us reparations. Moral maybe monetary -certainly not. This logic is similar to giving reservation to people in India. What was done by their forefathers should not be re-payed by them. Similarly we don't need to have caste based reservations as a form of penance to the oppression done by our forefathers.

To be clear - here the term "reparations" symbolically refers to a "moral debt" that needs to be paid and not any sort of monetary reparations - Britain should use it as a tool to atone for the wrongs that have been done - the Britons need accept the fact that they had to pay reparation "on principle".

What is required, is accepting the principle that reparations are owed.

Shri Shahsi Throor is probably the last dignified man standing in the congress party - rest all have turned out to be "pets" of the family. Kinda reminds me of Mahabharata's Karna - a man of integrity - getting screwed just because he happened to be on the wrong side.

He has some excellent academic & professional credentials - should go as an independent politician.

I don't think they own us reparations. Moral maybe monetary -certainly not. This logic is similar to giving reservation to people in India. What was done by their forefathers should not be re-payed by them. Similarly we don't need to have caste based reservations as a form of penance to the oppression done by our forefathers.

Morally...It is. Money they can't pay...nor will we take!!

Morally...It is. Money they can't pay...nor will we take!!
it's the holier than thou attitude which possesses a problem. IDK why but they, especially the Brit media considers their right to voice concerns or judge us in our internal matters.
the most important thing they took from us was not few trillion bucks rather, our cultural pride. somewhere deep down, they instilled it in our minds to consider out culture as primitive. it took us many years to regain a sense of that. what they need to understand is by needlessly meddling in our matters, they are just opening our old wounds.

No, India India. It was Bangladesh as well. And our area suffered more than many other parts of India as it was the longest under British oppression.

To be clear - here the term "reparations" symbolically refers to a "moral debt" that needs to be paid and not any sort of monetary reparations - Britain should use it as a tool to atone for the wrongs that have been done - the Britons need accept the fact that they had to pay reparation "on principle".

What is required, is accepting the principle that reparations are owed.

Shri Shahsi Throor is probably the last dignified man standing in the congress party - rest all have turned out to be "pets" of the family. Kinda reminds me of Mahabharata's Karna - a man of integrity - getting screwed just because he happened to be on the wrong side.

He has some excellent academic & professional credentials - should go as an independent politician.

Should join the BJP or even go independent

If Germany can pay annual amount to Israel...
If Japan can pay reparations after World War II to former colonial possessions such as Korea...
If Britain can pay compensation to the Maoris of New Zealand for damage done in colonial times...
If USA can compensate Native American tribes for broken treaties...
If Iraq can pay compensation to Kuwait for damage done during its invasion and occupation of 1990-91...
Why shouldn't Britain be held responsible for its wrong doings in India???

All the third world countries and roots of all their troubles (be it India-Pak tensions, Rwanda ethnic cleansing etc etc) can be traced back to the mistakes committed by their colonial era masters.

Reparations would help close the colonial scars, and would also put the "colonial masters" on a moral high.

I support Mr.Shashi Tharoor.

it's the holier than thou attitude which possesses a problem. IDK why but they, especially the Brit media considers their right to voice concerns or judge us in our internal matters.
the most important thing they took from us was not few trillion bucks rather, our cultural pride. somewhere deep down, they instilled it in our minds to consider out culture as primitive. it took us many years to regain a sense of that. what they need to understand is by needlessly meddling in our matters, they are just opening our old wounds.

The thing is what Britishers said, why was it taken as gospel ? Only the weak and ignorant minds would do that. And the reason for that ignorant minds was because of the decay in Indian Society which crept in before the britishers came.

I won't say that imperial rule was good for India in any way but it only hastened the decay of society to a level critical enough that influential orators like nehru can make them come together for a common purpose of "freedom from foreign oppression".

Nevertheless, one irrevocable truth is Indian society and culture was a total mess before britishers came and they themselves were responsible for it. No point in blaming others.

The thing is what Britishers said, why was it taken as gospel ? Only the weak and ignorant minds would do that. And the reason for that ignorant minds was because of the decay in Indian Society which crept in before the britishers came.

I won't say that imperial rule was good for India in any way but it only hastened the decay of society to a level critical enough that influential orators like nehru can make them come together for a common purpose of "freedom from foreign oppression".

Nevertheless, one irrevocable truth is Indian society and culture was a total mess before britishers came and they themselves were responsible for it. No point in blaming others.
they took over due to political dynamics of the region, not by attacking cultures. You see India was in a power shift when they came, the mughals were weak and marathas were not strong enoguh to take over them. It was only after they took over, they began to impose their culture.
Having said that, i do concede that society was decaying. But, It happens with every other country who are in the middle of power tussle. was it different during the Christians dark ages and during the power plays between monarchy and the church. It had happened many a times in India's history. after the fall of mauryans, the sultanate and the rajputs.
every time a new empire succeeded, the country flourished economically and culturally.
however, this is where the British raj was different. the country went to hell during their "great" rule. they robbed us economically, broke us culturally and left us to shambles after their 200 years of rule. You can't just vindicate them of their crimes

Last edited:
Although i am not a big fan of Mr.Tharoor but i totally agree with @Chanakya's_Chant that he is probably the last dignified and educated man to join the Congress party.He is an excellent orator and the points that he has highlighted in this debate are indeed quite serious.Britain indeed owe a "moral"reparation to us if not a monetary one.I think what Mr.Tharoor tried to point out here was that the Indian population still have the scars left by the centuries old british colonization of the sub-continent and a "whole hearted" official apology from the Queen herself can go a long way as far the Indo-British bilateral relations are concerned:).

Although i am not a big fan of Mr.Tharoor but i totally agree with @Chanakya's_Chant that he is probably the last dignified and educated man to join the Congress party.He is an excellent orator and the points that he has highlighted in this debate are indeed quite serious.Britain indeed owe a "moral"reparation to us if not a monetary one.I think what Mr.Tharoor tried to point out here was that the Indian population still have the scars left by the centuries old british colonization of the sub-continent and a "whole hearted" official apology from the Queen herself can go a long way as far the Indo-British bilateral relations are concerned:).

He was a high rank official in UN.He was in frontline for UN Secretary General seat but US sabotaged that.
When ever there is a good initiatives or schemes from GoI ,PM Modi will invite him because he knows the credentials and service records of Dr Tharoor.

Back
Top Bottom