Dubai overtakes Heathrow as top international airport

al-Hasani

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
Dubai overtakes Heathrow as top international airport

71695a44-e33d-4a5b-ac54-d86a41ba377c_16x9_600x338.JPG

Traffic at the airport increased 6.1 percent last year (Reuters/Stock image)
By AFP | Dubai
Tuesday, 27 January 2015

Dubai International Airport has overtaken London’s Heathrow Airport to become the world’s top hub in international travel after handling 70.47 million passengers in 2014, its authority said on Tuesday.

Traffic at the airport increased 6.1 percent last year, Dubai Airports said, and it expects the number of travelers passing through the hub to surge in 2015 to 79 million.

Dubai International is home to Emirates, the Middle East’s largest carrier, which along with Abu Dhabi’s Etihad and Qatar Airways have seized a significant portion of travel between the West, Asia and Australasia.

Heathrow handled 68.1 million international passengers in 2014, according to airport figures.

The British hub still outclassed Dubai International in overall numbers, handling 73.4 million passengers if travelers on domestic flights are included.

“This historic milestone is the culmination of over five decades of double-digit average growth,” Dubai Airports Chairman Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed al-Maktoum said in a statement.

Dubai Airports CEO Paul Griffiths said Dubai International would boost its annual capacity to 90 million passengers this year with the opening of Concourse D - a new hall for arrivals and departures.

The Gulf emirate’s other airport, Al-Maktoum International, opened in 2013 for passengers and will be capable of handling 120 million travelers when completed by 2022.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/bus...es-Heathrow-as-top-international-airport.html

Another milestone for the aviation sector in the GCC!:coffee:

Last edited:
Dubai Airport is Awesome , but God damn its too big , i remember i got my Xbox in a hand carry , and i have to walk sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much , and i was too excited to see the coolness of the air port , so i forget they got Escalators :mad:

@al-Hasani yes that is the one, In the two seasons they show what goes into for Emirates and Dubai Airport to give the service known worldwide.

---------------------

Approximate UAE population currently is around 9 million including around 1.5 million Emirati citizens.

The airports have handled 70.47 million passengers compare that to the total population of UAE (Dubai is one of the seven emirates that form UAE)

They did not say we do not have a big population so no need to dream big.

Dubai attracts millions of tourists from all over the world in a year which numbers many times more that the whole population of UAE.

A desert of yesterdays is doing all these wonders, just imagine what capabilities Pakistan has and can do in regards to tourism and airports.

In UAE they have and had shortage of local manpower but still they have developed the country by bringing in foreigners. Pakistan has enough manpower to develop and flourish and earn revenues big time in any field; tourism, medical, science, education, arts, etc. but no use, we will remain what we are for as long as we can see in future and in Pakistan all fields are neglected by the politicians.

@al-Hasani yes that is the one, In the two seasons they show what goes into for Emirates and Dubai Airport to give the service known worldwide.

---------------------

Approximate UAE population currently is around 9 million including around 1.5 million Emirati citizens.

The airports have handled 70.47 million passengers compare that to the total population of UAE (Dubai is one of the seven emirates that form UAE)

They did not say we do not have a big population so no need to dream big.

Dubai attracts millions of tourists from all over the world in a year which numbers many times more that the whole population of UAE.

A desert of yesterdays is doing all these wonders, just imagine what capabilities Pakistan has and can do in regards to tourism and airports.

In UAE they have and had shortage of local manpower but still they have developed the country by bringing in foreigners. Pakistan has enough manpower to develop and flourish and earn revenues big time in any field; tourism, medical, science, education, arts, etc. but no use, we will remain what we are for as long as we can see in future and in Pakistan all fields are neglected by the politicians.

UAE is an example to follow within the GCC itself which is otherwise doing quite well to put it mildly compared to the average standard in the Muslim world nowadays. In fact most of the world.

What you are saying about Pakistan can be said about most Arab countries and so-called third world countries too. I would even say that KSA has been very bad overall at exploiting all the potential, opportunities etc. available until recently. For the past 10 years during King Abdullah reign it has been better. Still a lot of work is needed. A lot.

UAE has just been blessed with clever and visionary leaders. They have in a very short time span created a success story and put their country on the world map. An area of Eastern Arabia which until not long ago was without much importance and much poorer and less important than all other areas of Eastern Arabia.

Eastern Arabia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yet the potential was always there due to the strategic location, natural riches etc. Potential is almost found everywhere. The most difficult thing is to exploit that potential properly. That's the hardest part.

Try for instance to take a look at all the resource rich countries in the world from Africa, South America to Central Asia. None are even remotely close to the standards of UAE and the GCC as a whole on all fronts. Even countries with similar populations.

So I don't give much for the argument that says that "natural resources alone are enough for success". It's clearly not the case.

@al-Hasani :

True that natural resources by themselves do not guarantee success. But it does make the chance to become successful easier and quicker!

@al-Hasani :

True that natural resources by themselves do not guarantee success. But it does make the chance to become successful easier and quicker!

Generally yes but it can also be a hindrance. Google "Dutch disease".

Dutch disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thankfully the GCC is changing that at a relatively quick rate. It's a question of time before much greater diversification of the economies will occur.

The GCC alone has an GDP (nominal) of almost 2 trillion US dollars and the GCC is only second to China when it comes to account balance (surplus) and wealth funds. When the economies of the GCC will undergo even bigger diversification (UAE is showing the way here) the economies will only increase in size and strength. It's just a question of time.
We got an ideal location between Asia, Africa and Europe, access to major sea routes, one of the youngest populations, not too many people nor too few and enormous natural resources.

What is holding us back is the neighborhood we live in, some idiotic self-imposed rules to please the retards among us and a few other issues.
If Germans for instance were ruling KSA and had all those resources and potential at their disposal KSA would be a richer version of Germany in the ME.
For the past many decades the GCC has grown on almost all fronts. Slowly but steadily. Even at times like this when our immediate neighbors in the West (Egypt, Sudan), North (Iraq, Syria), South (Yemen) and East (Iran) are burning or in a poor state.

200.000 Saudi Arabians alone are studying abroad currently. Many at leading universities from USA to Europe to East Asia. That's a HUGE number.

So I am hopeful.

Generally yes but it can also be a hindrance. Google "Dutch disease".

Dutch disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thankfully the GCC is changing that at a relatively quick rate. It's a question of time before much greater diversification of the economies will occur.

The GCC alone has an GDP (nominal) of almost 2 trillion US dollars and the GCC is only second to China when it comes to account balance (surplus) and wealth funds. When the economies of the GCC will undergo even bigger diversification (UAE is showing the way here) the economies will only increase in size and strength. It's just a question of time.
We got an ideal location between Asia, Africa and Europe, access to major sea routes, one of the youngest populations, not too many people nor too few and enormous natural resources.

What is holding us back is the neighborhood we live in, some idiotic self-imposed rules to please the retards among us and a few other issues.
If Germans for instance were ruling KSA and had all those resources and potential at their disposal KSA would be a richer version of Germany in the ME.
For the past many decades the GCC has grown on almost all fronts. Slowly but steadily. Even at times like this when our immediate neighbors in the West (Egypt, Sudan), North (Iraq, Syria), South (Yemen) and East (Iran) are burning or in a poor state.

So I am hopeful.

I am glad to see the new visionary leaders that have emerged in the GCC region.

GCC is destined for success if it keeps with the current policies.

I am glad to see the new visionary leaders that have emerged in the GCC region.

GCC is destined for success if it keeps with the current policies.

Actually I was wrong. The account balance of the GCC overall is better than that of China if we believe this link below and the sources/references used.

List of sovereign states by current account balance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

China has overall bigger wealth funds but we are talking about a nation of 1.3 billion people after all. The GCC has the second biggest sovereign wealth funds though.

SOVEREIGN WEALTH FUNDS RISE AND SHINE IN THE GCC (WEALTH WORTH OVER USD 2 TRILLION)

Bangladesh is also improving steadily but slowly. That's good to see.

Anyway we are slightly off-topic.

UAE is an example to follow within the GCC itself which is otherwise doing quite well to put it mildly compared to the average standard in the Muslim world nowadays. In fact most of the world.

What you are saying about Pakistan can be said about most Arab countries and so-called third world countries too. I would even say that KSA has been very bad overall at exploiting all the potential, opportunities etc. available until recently. For the past 10 years during King Abdullah reign it has been better. Still a lot of work is needed. A lot.

UAE has just been blessed with clever and visionary leaders. They have in a very short time span created a success story and put their country on the world map. An area of Eastern Arabia which until not long ago was without much importance and much poorer and less important than all other areas of Eastern Arabia.

Eastern Arabia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yet the potential was always there due to the strategic location, natural riches etc. Potential is almost found everywhere. The most difficult thing is to exploit that potential properly. That's the hardest part.

Try for instance to take a look at all the resource rich countries in the world from Africa, South America to Central Asia. None are even remotely close to the standards of UAE and the GCC as a whole on all fronts. Even countries with similar populations.

So I don't give much for the argument that says that "natural resources alone are enough for success". It's clearly not the case.

That is what i also say many times here as follows:

A country without natural resources + a capable leader (government) = a developed country

A country without natural resources + corrupt leader (government) = underdeveloped country or at most semi developing country

A country with natural resources + corrupt leader (government) = underdeveloped country or at most semi developing country

A country with natural resources + capable leader (government) = a developed country

I like Abu Dhabi airport better....etihad is the real sh!!!!t.

Both are great my friend.

That is what i also say many times here as follows:

A country without natural resources + a capable leader (government) = a developed country

A country without natural resources + corrupt leader (government) = underdeveloped country or at most semi developing country

A country with natural resources + corrupt leader (government) = underdeveloped country or at most semi developing country

A country with natural resources + capable leader (government) = a developed country

Spot on. You said it all right there.

Back
Top Bottom