Anees

Reaction score
Dubai Win 2020 Expo....

Live Blog: Expo 2020 - Voting Day » Gulf Business

expo_pin_badge-620x31011.jpg

World Expo comes to Dubai

Last updated: Thursday, November 28, 2013 8:24 AM

2moyvz9.jpg

Emirati women celebrate after Dubai was selected to host the 2020 World Expo, at the OECD in Paris, on Wednesday. Dubai will host the 2020 World Expo, becoming the first Middle Eastern city to organize the event in its more than 150-year history. — AP

PARIS — Dubai will host the 2020 World Expo, becoming the first Middle Eastern city to organize the event in its more than 150-year history.

The Gulf emirate bested competing bids from Izmir, Turkey, Sao Paulo, Brazil and Yekaterinburg, Russia after three rounds of voting by delegates of the 168-nation Bureau International des Expositions in Paris.

Dubai authorities expect the Expo 2020 will generate $23 billion between 2015 and 2021, and estimate it will cost $8.4 billion to organize.

“We are all very delighted that our country and the citizens UAE are extremely happy, extremely honored with this responsibility by the international community,” UAE Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah Bin Zayed said just after the decision was announced.

But the win also carries risks. Some property developers warn it could trigger another speculative bubble similar to the one that burst in 2008-2010, when the global financial crisis caused Dubai property prices to crash by more than 50 percent, shaking financial markets around the world.

In Dubai, crowds of hundreds of people had been waiting for the result in front of big screens outside the Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest building.

“Winning the Expo will create lot of jobs for all nationalities living here,” said Jemma, a 30-year-old waiter from the Philippines who has lived in Dubai for seven years, just before the result was announced.

“I’m concerned about the rent of my house, and the high cost of living ... We will celebrate now and worry about impact later. That’s the Dubai spirit,” he said.

Hayat, an 18-year-old from Saudi Arabia spending a week in Dubai, said: “We as Saudis are proud that a Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) city will host such an event.” — Agencies

Saudi Gazette - World Expo comes to Dubai

Dubai wins EXPO 2020 - good:-)
Rent caps removed - Bad:angry:

Btw headlines today ....

image.jpg

Posting a pic i had clicked from Burj Khalifa ,Dubai(mobile)

image.jpg

Last edited:
They should rename Dubai and call this place wow !! Amazing well done

Amazing, amazing. Can be discussed. Depends what you like I guess. It is surely a great modern city, one of the most modern and futuristic ones in terms of architecture, as seen by my post number 6 in this thread or a simple google search. With little traces of the traditional architecture and places. A cosmopolitan city. Every big city must be somewhat cosmopolitan to become truly great IMO. Dubai has that at least.

UAE has done very well. I have to say this. Oil or no oil. Many oil and gas states are richer in resources but are looking like failed states thanks to bad rulers and past mistakes.

UAE has been blessed with great rulers despite the country being made up by many Emirates that undoubtedly are rivals and competing against each other which also makes the country think forward and dynamic. Located strategically too.

They are leading on many fronts in the Middle East.

Dubai is one of the giants in the Arab world today but historically it was a little fishing village where most occupants were fisherman, pearl traders etc. 80-50 years ago it was like any of the THOUSANDS of small fishing villages in the Arab world from Morocco in the West to Oman. Nothing special.

But wise rule made it very special not only on the regional scale but also a world scale and once again the rulers of UAE deserve an immense credit for that. No wonder that they are the most loved rulers in the Arab world among their own population. Now Dubai is one of the most prosperous cities, most visited, most and a name most people in the world have heard about or know about!
Impressive for a little fishing village just 50 years ago. One out of thousands Arab fishing villages.

Last edited:
Amazing, amazing. Can be discussed. Depends what you like I guess. It is surely a great modern city, one of the most modern and futuristic ones in terms of architecture, as seen by my post number 6 in this thread or a simple google search. With little traces of the traditional architecture and places. A cosmopolitan city. Every big city must be somewhat cosmopolitan to become truly great IMO. Dubai has that at least.

UAE has done very well. I have to say this. Oil or no oil. Many oil and gas states are richer in resources but are looking like failed states thanks to bad rulers and past mistakes.

UAE has been blessed with great rulers despite the country being made up by many Emirates that undoubtedly are rivals and competing against each other which also makes the country think forward and dynamic. Located strategically too.

They are leading on many fronts in the Middle East.

Dubai is one of the giants in the Arab world today but historically it was a little fishing village where most occupants were fisherman, pearl traders etc. 80-50 years ago it was like any of the THOUSANDS of small fishing villages in the Arab world from Morocco in the West to Oman. Nothing special.

But wise rule made it very special not only on the regional scale but also a world scale and once again the rulers of UAE deserve an immense credit for that. No wonder that they are the most loved rulers in the Arab world among their own population. Now Dubai is one of the most prosperous cities, most visited, most and a name most people in the world have heard about or know about!
Impressive for a little fishing village just 50 years ago. One out of thousands Arab fishing villages.

You summarized it well ... its all about the great leadership , countries should learn lessons from this place , how they managed to transform a desert into one of the most favored city in the world

You summarized it well ... its all about the great leadership , countries should learn lessons from this place , how they managed to transform a desert into one of the most favored city in the world

Yes, that is correct. Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan al-Nahyan was a great, great ruler. Very respected ruler in the Arab world and outside of it.

Wise and good rulers is very important for a countries success no matter what country we are talking about.

The expatriates that lived in his country were all mostly very much in favor of him since he was a just and good ruler.

Back
Top Bottom