What's new

Duty-Free Access For 7800 Items, Joining ASEAN: Dhaka unlikely to accept China, Japan offers

It's indeed strange and in fact quite presumptuous for Japan to make this offer. A bit like inviting someone to go to your neighbor's house without their permission. But anyway, if it is on the cards, then BD should seriously consider ASEAN membership. China would have no objection - in fact, we can only benefit from diluting the influence of the anti-China 'bloc' (in reality only PH and VN), just as Cambodia is helping us do right now. But conversely, if this is what they anticipate, they may also try to block your candidature. In which case, I hope the other members like Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, etc, can see the benefits of helping to integrate BD into the regional economy, and tell the irredentist duo to get lost.

Its just a matter of time that Bangladesh will become part of ASEAN, but that ASEAN will be led by China in future decades.

Indeed, except for Vietnam and Philippines, rest of ASEAN I am sure will follow China as the leader and eventually reject the West or their lap dog Japan as their alliance partner. You have to watch out for Myanmar though, if they misbehave, China, Bangladesh, Laos, Cambodia can surround them and give them a big squeeze, the regime is still quite vulnerable. And I believe China needs to start getting involved in affairs of other nations slowly, carefully and imperceptibly, specially in countries like Thailand. Indonesia and Malaysia are our Muslim brothers, so if there is an evolving Sino-Muslim alliance, they will not be able to say no. As you know there is no love lost between the West and Muslims. A Sino-Muslim alliance direction will be beneficial not just in ASEAN, but in Central and West Asia as well.

The vision of future I have is that of a predominant China, leading and sharing the management of
- ASEAN together with Japan and South Korea, once they switch sides from the West towards China and
- Central Asian states together with Russia, so they can integrate this Eurasian Union with the states in the South such as Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran
- Arab League together with GCC states, so they can integrate not just the Arab states but Muslim North African states as well

The only part of the globe where China will have to compete with the West is Middle and Southern African majority Christian states and a mostly Catholic Latin America who were abused for centuries by European colonial masters as well as the US in more recent decades who treats these countries as their back yard and try to micromanage their affairs.

I will not say anything about India here, because I have a whole thesis on China-India relations, which I will present in a later thread.

DUTY-FREE ACCESS FOR 7800 ITEMS, JOINING ASEAN: Dhaka unlikely to accept China, Japan offers

May 10, 2014 1:29 am
Nazmul Ahsan

Commerce secretary Mahbub Ahmed said the country could not afford a Chinese offer which might shrink Bangladesh’s current exports rather than expanding its trade in China. ‘I do not think we should come out of APTA,’ Mahbub told New Age on Thursday at his commerce ministry office. Explaining, he said the country’s woven garment items could not add more than 30 to 35 per cent value, thus it would make the Chinese offer largely ineffective. ‘We are pushing for a reduction in the value addition criteria under the APTA from the existing 35 per cent to 30 per cent,’ the commerce secretary said, adding that the offer would be excellent for Bangladesh if China [agrees] to accept 35 per cent value addition…’

DUTY-FREE ACCESS FOR 7800 ITEMS, JOINING ASEAN: Dhaka unlikely to accept China, Japan offers

Look at APTA members (India, SriLanka, Thailand, China etc.) and trade benefit Bangladesh gets, It is virtually ZERO. What these Awami League officials are churning in the media is sheer lie and most likely bought off by indian money.

40% percent value addition means Bangladesh will have to use more of its yarn, textile and value addition effort. That is good for the country and we should have been adding more than 50% value addition after 3 decades in the industry.

Fact of the matter is, China does not want india or third country to exploit Bangladesh duty free access by lowering value addition criteria and let them flood Bangladesh and Chinese market with indian textile.

Having said that, there are number of garments/textile house who has vertical chain from yarn to textile, to finish products.
Beximco, Hamim, Sinha group etc. These business sure can take advantage of 40% Chinese criteria.

Clearly, Awami League acting as proxy for indian textile industry in China by preventing Bangladeshi exporters to take advantage of Chinese market.

Last edited:
Look at APTA members (India, SriLanka, Thailand, China etc.) and trade benefit Bangladesh gets, It is virtually ZERO. What these Awami League officials are churning in the media is sheer lie and most likely bought off by indian money.

40% percent value addition means Bangladesh will have to use more of its yarn, textile and value addition effort. That is good for the country and we should have been adding more than 50% value addition after 3 decades in the industry.

Fact of the matter is, China does not want india or third country to exploit Bangladesh duty free access by lowering value addition criteria and let them flood Bangladesh and Chinese market with indian textile.

Having said that, there are number of garments/textile house who has vertical chain from yarn to textile, to finish products.
Beximco, Hamim, Sinha group etc. These business sure can take advantage of 40% Chinese criteria.

Clearly, Awami League acting as proxy for indian textile industry in China by preventing Bangladeshi exporters to take advantage of Chinese market

we should try to become a member ASEAN it is now the top like BRICS
and also i can assure that BD can achieve a lot

Back
Top Bottom