What's new

Economic Survey: Pakistanis Consuming More Calories, Fruits and Vegetables

Seems to be massively overinflated due to the metrics used.

Obviously people aren't consuming 3782 calories on average per day in the U.S., lol.
Are you sure?
q4mo5kqcivl61.jpg

Obviously people aren't consuming 3782 calories on average per day in the U.S., lol.

Americans are among the most obese in the world! 68% of the people in the US are obese or overweight!!

Pakistanis are eating more and healthier foods, according to the Economic Survey of Pakistan 2021-22. Per capita average daily calorie intake in Pakistan has jumped to 2,735 calories in FY 2021-22 from 2,457 calories in 2019-20. The biggest contributor to it is the per capita consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables which soared from 53.6 Kg to 68.3 Kg. Under former Prime Minister Imran Khan's leadership, Pakistan succeeded in achieving these nutritional improvements in spite of surging global food prices amid the Covid19 pandemic.

Pakistan Per Capita Daily Calorie Consumption. Source: Economic Surveys of Pakistan

The trend of higher per capita daily calorie consumption has continued since the 1950s. It has risen from about 2,078 in 1949-50 to 2,400 in 2001-02 and 2735 in 2021-22. The per capita per day protein intake in grams increased from 63 to 67 to about 75 during these years. Health experts recommend that women consume at least 1,200 calories a day, and men consume at least 1,500 calories a day, says Harvard Health Publishing. The global average has increased from 2360 kcal/person/day in the mid-1960s to 2900 kcal/person/day currently, according to the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO). The USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) estimates that most women need 1,600 to 2,400 calories, while the majority of men need 2,000 to 3,000 calories each day to maintain a healthy weight.

The latest edition of the Economic Survey of Pakistan estimates that per capita calories come from the annual per capita consumption of 164.7 Kg of cereals, 7.3 Kg of pulses (daal), 28.3 Kg of sugar, 168.8 liters of milk, 22.5 Kg of meat, 2.9 Kg of fish, 8.1 dozen eggs, 14.5 Kg of ghee (cooking oil) and 68.3 Kg of fruits and vegetables. Pakistan's economy grew 5.97% and agriculture outputs increased a record 4.4% in FY 2021-22, according to the Economic Survey.

The minimum recommended food basket in Pakistan is made up of basic food items (cereals, pulses, fruits, vegetables, meat, milk, edible oils and sugar) to provide 2150 kcal and 60gram protein/day per capita. The cost of food basket per capita per month, calculated on the

The state of Pakistan's social sector is not as dire as the headlines suggest. There are good reasons for optimism. Key indicators show that nutrition and health in Pakistan are improving but such improvements need to be accelerated.

Related Links:

Haq's Musings

South Asia Investor Review

Pakistan's Expected Demographic Dividend

Pakistan's Social Sector

World Bank: Pakistan Reduced Poverty, Grew Economy During Covid19 Pandemic

Surging Global Food Prices Amid Covid Pandemic

Pakistan's Balance of Payments Crisis

Panama Leaks in Pakistan

Olive Revolution in Pakistan"

Nay Pakistan Sehat Card: A Giant Step Toward Universal Healthcare

Prime Minister Imran Khan's Effectiveness as Crisis Leader

India in Crisis: Unemployment and Hunger Persists After Waves of Covid

Riaz Haq's Youtube Channel

PakAlumni Social Network

IK government destroyed the economy?. 😆

Oh you will be surprised.

Midwestern types eat at least 2000 calories of solid protein every dinner, and again at least 1000 to 1500 on breakfast and lunch. These are large people 200~250 pounds each. At Breakfast three eggs, two sausage links and a glass of OJ can easily make up 1500 calories. Ditto for Lunch. Dinner is heaviest meal, here are two menu selections from a Texas Steakhouse for a family of four (this is cheap):

Two pounds of steak with sautéed mushrooms, onions, brown gravy and sour cream. Served with a family sized salad, four individual sides, and fresh baked bread or cornbread.
$44.99

Family Sized Chicken Critters®
Twenty-four all white meat chicken tenders, golden-fried and lightly crispy. Served with a family sized salad, four individual sides, and fresh baked bread or cornbread.
$39.99

This is a typical serving of 24 oz. RIBEYE Steak for ONE PERSON. YES ONE PERSON. The Baked Potato with shredded cheese is just a side dish. This will cost $35 to $45 per person with a glass of wine at most steakhouses. I'd guess just the steak is around 1800~1900 calories in 24 ounces of Beef Rib Eye (Small End, Trimmed to 0" Fat, Choice Grade). The 6-ounce potatoes topped with about 3 tablespoons of sour cream will be 250 calories each.

iu

Apologies to Pujaris, just look away....

Last edited:
@RiazHaq

Brof sb,

Great to hear some good news about Pakistan amidst all the negativity.

Wonder with the backbreaking inflation being imposed by the Imported govt and the Neutrals whether such a happy trend will continue.

Regards

I'd like to see people on this forum eating 3782 calories per day on average for a year without dying.

The reason for the totally inflated readings is due to the dumb methodology.

It's measuring food produced and purchased, not food eaten.

Aka, it's due to the U.S. food system that is designed to throw away food to keep prices elevated.

I'd like to see people on this forum eating 3782 calories per day on average for a year without dying.

The reason for the totally inflated readings is due to the dumb methodology.

It's measuring food produced and purchased, not food eaten.

Aka, it's due to the U.S. food system that is designed to throw away food to keep prices elevated.

Not gonna lie, i've done that, it's easy. Not proud of it, but it's straight up easy.

1200 calories a meal? No problem.

Zinger stacker burger (just the burger) 780 calories.
Fries (regular) 250 calories
Coke (regular) 130 calories

Bro when i go KFC i'll order a large meal, and i'll order a couple of peices of chicken as a side with my zinger stacker. That's another 5-600 calories.

Minor thing bro, i call that lunch.

Not gonna lie, i've done that, it's easy. Not proud of it, but it's straight up easy.

Bro when i go KFC i'll order a large meal, and i'll order a couple of peices of chicken as a side with my zinger stacker. That's another 5-600 calories.

The thing is when you have a KFC, you know you've eaten unhealthy, it's the sneaky calories you don't notice.

Like when you have a pint of whole milk instead of water with your meal. That's 350 calories you've not noticed.

Or when you have an extra roti, because you really like the handi the missus has made. The roti itself is a minimum 100 calories, all the extra curry, i'm not even going to count.

Biscuits are the worse. 1 chocolate digestive is 84 calories. Who in their life has ever eaten one of those?!

Most of the calories that we intake in form of roti and rice is not so good. The calories from fruits vegetables and meat is what we need to intake along with regular gym for fitness and appearance of good looking bodies.

The thing is when you have a KFC, you know you've eaten unhealthy, it's the sneaky calories you don't notice.

Like when you have a pint of whole milk instead of water with your meal. That's 350 calories you've not noticed.

Or when you have an extra roti, because you really like the handi the missus has made. The roti itself is a minimum 100 calories, all the extra curry, i'm not even going to count.

Biscuits are the worse. 1 chocolate digestive is 84 calories. Who in their life has ever eaten one of those?!

Having traveled around the world, I can tell you from personal experience that the serving sizes in the US are the biggest.....far bigger than anything I saw in Europe or Asia.

Besides, the items in the American menu are loaded with lots of unhealthy calories.

Asia has 61 per cent of the world's population but only 13 per cent of the world's weight. In contrast, Americans make up only five per cent of the world's population but account for a third of the world's weight due to obesity

Last edited:
@RiazHaq

Brof sb,

Great to hear some good news about Pakistan amidst all the negativity.

Wonder with the backbreaking inflation being imposed by the Imported govt and the Neutrals whether such a happy trend will continue.

Regards

The key factor missing from aggregated per capita consumption figures is how the consumption of calories is distributed across income tiers.

Too much sarkari maal. Now, I know where all that IMF loans are going.

Well the number of absolutely fat people has increased, especially the younger ones

Having traveled around the world, I can tell you from personal experience that the serving sizes in the US are the biggest.....far bigger than anything I saw in Europe or Asia.

Besides, the items in the American menu are loaded with lots of unhealthy calories.

Asia has 61 per cent of the world's population but only 13 per cent of the world's weight. In contrast, Americans make up only five per cent of the world's population but account for a third of the world's weight due to obesity

Bhaisaab - as long as we're talking about junk food, an extra large Icecream based Milkshake at SONIC alone will be 1200~1800 calories, depending on size. And this is considered an in between meals snack!

Americans make up only five per cent of the world's population but account for a third of the world's weight due to obesity

Sorry, that's hard to believe. Someone messed up their calculations somewhere. From your own link

The researchers calculated the average global body weight at 137 pounds, but in North America the average was 178 pounds

On topic, I remember as a kid overhearing some aunties in Pakistan saying "they are so rich, they drink Coke instead of water when they are thirsty". That was before the days of sugar awareness. Maybe such awareness is still lacking in Pakistani general population.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom