What's new

Egypt launches first direct flight to Iran in more than three decades

agentny17

Reaction score
Country
Egypt
Egypt launches first direct flight to Iran in more than three decades
Flight from Cairo to Tehran signals further thaw between the two countries.

Egypt on Saturday launched the first direct commercial passenger flight to Iran in more than 30 years, signaling improved ties between the two countries.

The Tehran-bound flight operated by the private carrier Air Memphis took off from Cairo airport, sources at the airport said.

Last month, Egypt's Tourism Minister Hesham Zaazou signed an agreement on operating non-stop flights between the two countries during a visit to Iran.

In February, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad became the first Iranian president to travel to Egypt since Iran's 1979 revolution ruptured diplomatic ties between the two most populous countries in the Middle East.

Tehran broke off relations with Cairo in 1980, a year after both Iran's revolution and Egypt's peace agreement with Israel.

The ties between Egypt and Iran have improved since the fall of Egypt's former autocratic leader Hosni Mubarak in February 2011. But the countries remain at odds over many regional issues, including Iran's continued support for embattled Syrian President Bashar Assad.

Egypt launches first direct flight to Iran in more than three decades - Middle East - Israel News | Haaretz Daily Newspaper

AP Interview: Egypt says Iranian pose no risk

CAIRO — Egypt's tourism minister said Thursday that allowing Iranian tourists to visit Egypt after being banned for more than three decades would pose no threat and could help shore up the nation's struggling tourism industry.

Tourism Minister Hesham Zaazoua's remarks, in an interview on Thursday with The Associated Press, come amid controversy over allowing Iranians to visit Egypt after decades of frozen diplomatic relations and suspicion – especially among ultraconservatives – that Iran aspires to spread its Shiite faith to the Sunni world.

Egypt, which is predominately Sunni, has been working to normalize relations with Iran, after a long freeze that began after Egypt signed its 1979 peace treaty with Israel and Iran underwent its Islamic revolution. Relations began to improve after former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak was forced to step down in the 2011 popular uprising.

Egypt's new Islamist President Mohammed Morsi and Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad have exchanged visits, which have opened new avenues of cooperation between the former foes.

Zaazoua, who visited Tehran nearly a month ago and signed a memorandum of understanding to promote tourism, told the AP that Iranians were not going to visit Egypt to export an Islamic revolution. He said Iranian visitors, who would be restricted in their movements, would not be visiting religious sites.

"We have not received Iranians for 35 years," Zaazoua said in his office. "They are pure tourists. They are not coming to create a revolution as far as I am concerned."

"They are coming to visit tourist sites within Egypt," he said referring to the ancient cities of Luxor and Aswan. "They are coming for vacationing."

He said if problems surface, "we can stop it, as simple as that."

Egyptians have mixed feelings toward Iran. Some believe in Iranian plots aimed at destabilizing the country while others sympathize with Iran's Islamic revolution and admire Tehran's defiance of the United States.

Zaazoua's visit to Tehran sparked anger of ultraconservative Islamists like Al Nour party. The party issued a statement warning Morsi's government that opening the country up to Iranians risked plunging the country, which "enjoys a Sunni unity," into sectarian strife.

When Ahmadinejad visited Egypt on Feb. 5, he too got a cold shoulder from some. He was given a harsh reception by Egypt's top Sunni cleric of Al-Azhar and the Iranian leader was attacked by shoe-throwing Syrian protesters upset about Iran's alliance with the embattled Syrian regime.

A new understanding with Iran would be a shake-up for a region that has been split between Tehran's camp – which includes Syria and Islamic militias Hezbollah in Lebanon and Hamas in Gaza – and a U.S.-backed group led by Saudi Arabia and rich Gulf nations. Further complicating relations, the Islamic militant group Hamas, which rules the Palestinian enclave in the Gaza Strip, is a historical offshoot of the Muslim Brotherhood, the dominant force in Egyptian politics since Morsi's election.

Zaazoua said preparations were under way to allow Iranian tourists to visit, but he declined to disclose a date.

Last week, Egypt's Foreign and Civil Aviation Ministry established regulations for Iranian tourists, mainly restricting the size and movement of the tourist groups.

Ali al-Ashri, an official with Egypt's Foreign Ministry, said Iranian tourists would only be allowed to visit certain sites, such as the ancient cities of Luxor and resort areas like Sharm el-Sheikh. Cairo was not on the list of places they would be allowed to visit, mainly because it is the site of shrines of revered Shiite figures.

The size of Iranian tourist groups would be limited to 100 persons and there would only be three travel agencies given permits to coordinate the Iranian visits. Flights would carry Iranians directly from Iran to their tourist destination, the civil aviation minister said.

"We don't want to create problems to our country or any other country, including Iran itself," Zaazoua said.

The Egyptian government is looking to boost the tourism business back to pre-revolution levels when 14.7 million tourists visited Egypt in 2010. Continued unrest since the 2011 uprising have scared away tourists and investment. Last year, the number of tourists climbed to more than 10 million, but most tourists go to beach resorts along the Red Sea.

To assuage fears among some that Iranians would try to practice religious rituals in Egypt, Zaazoua emphasized that Iranian tourists would not be allowed to visit religious sites.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20130328/ml-egypt-tourism/?utm_hp_ref=homepage&ir=homepage

"I can't ignore countries like Iran," he said. "I am a technocrat. ... I am looking to just increase the share from international traffic of tourism in the world."

Good development :tup:
This plane will come back to Aswan city of Egypt with about 50 tourists from Iran, first time in 30 years, I read in Iranian media.
@agentny17: I've heard some certain groups in Egypt,especially Salafis strongly oppose to accept any Iranian tourists to Egypt, how is their position and how strong they are?Do they have enough weight to pass some law forbidding Iranians from entering Egypt?

They think Iranian tourists will magically turn every single person they encounter in Egypt to a Shia.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL Egyptians already took $4 Billions from Saudis!

They think Iranian tourists will magically turn every single person they encounter in Egypt to a Shia.:D

I think all Iranians I have encountered are very good atheists!

Good development :tup:
This plane will come back to Aswan city of Egypt with about 50 tourists from Iran, first time in 30 years, I read in Iranian media.
@agentny17: I've heard some certain groups in Egypt,especially Salafis strongly oppose to accept any Iranian tourists to Egypt, how is their position and how strong they are?Do they have enough weight to pass some law forbidding Iranians from entering Egypt?

Salafis are retards, don't worry about them. They are more retarded that MB if that is even possible. Most Egyptians have nothing against Iran. Salafis have problems with most Egyptians so you are not alone :D . Islamists in general are losing a lot of ground in Egypt. No such law can ever pass. Liberals, Leftis, MB have nothing against Iran what so ever except maybe when it comes to Syria. Salafis hate everybody including Iran. They hate most Egyptians, and i am serious.

What's the problem with that ?!

good news , i think egypt will take the place of venezuela in iran's politics after this election

Good news!

Banned is gone too? Yaaay! Next time drop the attitude ;)

Iran, Egypt To Resume Trade Ties

Iran and Egypt have agreed to resume their commercial ties for the first time after the two countries severed their relations over three decades ago.
Last week, an Egyptian business delegation visited Iran and held a meeting with Iranian officials and businessmen at the Ministry of Industries, Mines and Trade, said Reza Nourani, the chairman of Iran’s Union of Exporters and Importers of Agricultural Products, in a Saturday interview, Press TV reported.
The two sides discussed various business issues and agreed to start their commercial interactions with the trade of fruits and citrus, he added.
Tehran severed ties with the North African Arab state after Cairo signed the 1978 Camp David Accords with the Israeli regime and offered asylum to Iran’s deposed monarch Mohammad Reza Pahlavi.
However, the Egyptian revolution in February 2011 which led to the ouster of Egypt’s former dictator Hosni Mubarak, thawed the three-decade frosty ties between Tehran and Cairo.
Nourani pointed to Iran’s potentials as one of the world’s top 20 agricultural hubs and Egypt’s capabilities in agricultural industries and described the capacities as a channel for enhancement of bilateral cooperation.
On Wednesday, during the meeting with the Egyptian businessmen and traders, industries, mines and trade minister said there is a significant potential for expansion of commercial and economic relations between Iran and Egypt.
Mehdi Ghazanfari said the private sectors of the two countries play very important role in this regard.
He put the value of Iran’s trade with the foreign countries at $200 billion, adding Egypt also has $100 billion of trade transaction with other countries.
Ghazanfari said the value of Iran-Egypt’s trade stands at $100 million which is very low.
“Iran is ready to prepare the ground for expansion of bilateral trade ties. Singing a preferential tariff agreement is the first step which should be taken in this respect.”
He added that bilateral cooperation can be expanded between the private sectors of the two countries in various fields including industry, oil, gas, petrochemicals, and mining.
The Egyptian businessmen expressed willingness to expand economic and commercial cooperation with Iran.
They called for the Iranian officials to help realize the target.

The thaw in relations between Sunni-majority Egypt and Shiite Iran is facing scrutiny from Egypt's ultraconservative salafis, who view Iran's rapprochement with Cairo with suspicion. Ultraconservative Salafis consider Shiites heretics, and fear that Iran is trying to spread its faith in the Sunni world.

On Friday, Salafi protesters stormed a meeting at al-Azhar University, which is affiliated with the Sunni world's most prestigious learning institute. They were trying to stop an Iranian official from attending the meeting. The meeting eventually went ahead as scheduled.

L O L salafis fear education and learning what a surprise.:omghaha:

Egypt and Iran are 2 greatest and oldest ME civilizations,their relations should go beyond any religion or sects.It's really sad we didn't have any relations for 34 years.Even now that some certain groups think Iran wants to turn Egypt to a Shia state.

Iranians go to Turkey for example for tourism,but Sunni majority Turkey is not afraid of 'becoming a Shia state',all of it has something to do with being a secular state I suppose,or maybe they have believed Iranians are not the 'monsters' that Salafi groups trying to show.

PS: @agentny17: I was talking about these kind of people.
هدد ما يعرف باسم "ائتلاف المسلمين للدفاع عن الصحب والآل" بمحاصرة مطار القاهرة عند وصول الوفود السياحية الإيرانية، لمنع خروجهم منه وإجبارهم على عودتهم إلى طهران بالطائرة التي جاءت بهم.

وقال وليد إسماعيل منسق ائتلاف المسلمين للدفاع عن "الصحب والآل": استهجنت عدة تيارات إسلامية فتح المجال أمام السياح الإيرانيين معربين عن مخاوف من استهداف "الحرس الثوري الإيراني الذين قالوا: إنه سيدخل مصر متسترا في ثياب السياح الإيرانيين، مستهدفا المعارضين المصريين لطهران".

وأضاف لصحيفة "الشرق الأوسط" اللندنية في عددها الصادر اليوم الأحد: "لا نريد لمصر أن تكرر تجارب الإيرانيين مع العراق وسوريا ولبنان، وما في تلك الدول من مشكلات بسبب تقاربها مع طهران".
http://gate.ahram.org.eg/News/327580.aspx

Long story short,this Salafi group wants to besiege Cairo international airport to prevent Iranian tourists coming out of airport.I don't know either to laugh at this or to be sad for these people's existence on planet earth.

Fantastic news. I just hope it goes through fully and we expand our relations.
Hopefully Iran's expanding relations with Pakistan and Egypt, can serve as a bridge between Shia and Sunni, in the region.
God willing, in few years no one will think about who is Sunni or who is Shia. But that we are all ancient civilizations that need friendship, relations and stability with each other.

Long live Iran, Pakistan and Egypt!

:)

I think we can all agree that (generally) Atheists love to live, therefore they have no intention to blow themselves up :D

My personal opinion: As long as you don't want to blow me up, believe in whatever you want to believe (or don't believe in anything), but keep the explosive belt to yourself :D And if you insist on blowing up yourself just keep the distance and do it in your "own country" I think we all know what country I'm referring to.

Although I have sympathy with moderate Egyptians, I don't like this news. Why should we go to Egypt if they place restrictions on our movement in the country?

The tourists, who according to a security official arrived on some of the first commercial flights between the two countries in three decades, will be restricted in their movement following objections from some ultraconservative Sunni Muslims to receiving visitors from Shiite Iran. Members of the Salafi movement in Egypt consider Shiites heretics, and fear Iran is trying to spread its faith in the Sunni world.

(...)

Iranian tourists would only be allowed to visit certain sites, such as the ancient cities of Luxor and Red Sea resort areas like Sharm el-Sheikh.

Over 50 Iranian tourists visit southern Egypt - San Bernardino County Sun

To hell with them. Iranians should spend their money in their own country.

I think we can all agree that (generally) Atheists love to live, therefore they have no intention to blow themselves up :D

My personal opinion: As long as you don't want to blow me up, believe in whatever you want to believe (or don't believe in anything), but keep the explosive belt to yourself :D And if you insist on blowing up yourself just keep the distance and do it in your "own country" I think we all know what country I'm referring to.

:Cheers: to that...

BTW ever considered a career in Diplomacy...? You have quite a grip on diplomatic language :D

:Cheers: to that...

BTW ever considered a career in Diplomacy...? You have quite a grip on diplomatic language :D

Ha... Ha... True politicians should also have a good grip on their emotions, it's important not to lose control. I'm afraid that I don't have that type of quality :d

Back
Top Bottom