What's new

Egyptians vote in presidential election

Mahmoud_EGY

Reaction score
Country
Egypt
CAIRO—Egyptians cast ballots Monday for a new president in an election widely expected to secure a resounding victory for military strongman Abdel Fattah al-Sissi, one that will likely further entrench the army’s decades-long rule over the country.

Monday marked the first of two days of voting in which just two candidates, including former defense minister Sissi and leftist politician Hamdeen Sabbahi, are vying for the nation’s top office after Egypt’s first democratically-elected president was ousted by the military last year.
“We came here today for Egypt, because we love Egypt,” said 59-year-old Reda Nasr, a voter in the east Cairo neighborhood of Matareya. A dozen women voters outside this polling station flanked Nasr, ululating in support of the field marshal.

“Sissi is the leader of Egypt and of the Arab world,” Nasr said. “He will bring us security, stability and peace.”

Like Nasr, many Egyptians view the ex-army chief as a strong, charismatic candidate capable of ushering in stability after years of political and economic turmoil. But Sissi, who led the army coup against Islamist President Mohamed Morsi last summer, has also been criticized for presiding over a widespread crackdown against dissidents, including the Muslim Brotherhood group that backed Morsi’s presidency.

On Monday, Sabbahi’s campaign headquarters said that four of its delegates had been detained or arrested by security forces at polling stations nationwide. The campaign said the arrests were part of “systematic violations” they had documented by police and army officers during the voting process.

“I do not believe these elections are legitimate,” said university student Salsabeel al-Gharbawi, 21. A Cairo court recently sentenced Gharbawi, a supporter of the Muslim Brotherhood, still Egypt’s largest opposition group, to four years in prison for protesting on her university campus in December. From her home in the east Cairo neighborhood of Alf Maskan, Gharbawi said she was boycotting the elections.

The grassroots Tamarod (“Rebel”) group that led the revolt against Morsi last June said Monday that one of its members and a Sissi campaign coordinator had been shot dead in the Giza province near Cairo, highlighting the insecurity many voters here say prompted them to support Sissi.

But while the mood was celebratory among Sissi backers, there was little room for public dissent at the voting stations. In one instance, in Matareya, pro-Sissi residents insulted and chased a man who said he had voted for Sabbahi.

“I am proud of my decision,” Matareya resident and engineer, Abdel Karim Mahmoud, 55, said. “The people are unified for Sissi!” one man yelled at Mahmoud as a throng of angry fellow voters descended on him. Army and police guarding the polling station watched passively from afar.

“I didn’t have a problem with the way Morsi governed,” Cairo voter Mohammed Ali, said from the same polling station.

The army’s ouster of the Islamist leader was backed by a wide swathe of the population.

“But we have moved on,” Ali said. “It’s time for the military to control the country.”

Sharaf Al-Hourani contributed to this report.

What changes can we expect in post elections Egypt? Will the army still be conducting operations in the Sinai?

What changes can we expect in post elections Egypt? Will the army still be conducting operations in the Sinai?
i think the operations must continue because they target the army and police in sinai the change mostly will be in economic policy

10417581_702257406478432_7296103520623218216_n.jpg

10345541_702257743145065_4088835023813091117_n.jpg

10300505_702249163145923_5178690392531381071_n.jpg

10329157_702247316479441_8365591738060326684_n.jpg

10325399_702246973146142_3774836501033785381_n.jpg

Last edited:
Are there no police force in Egypt ? I mean, all i see is soldiers providing security in every thread.....

it would be a great honor but no i studied economy and waiting for a job

Hope you find that job soon.

Are there no police force in Egypt ? I mean, all i see is soldiers providing security in every thread.....

They run everything but it's normal. Every checkpoint you'll see them all over Egyptian streets. Once you leave Cairo and go east you'll see armored vehicles and tanks as well.

How come Egyptian soldiers don't use M16? I thought Egypt been a US ally for decades :coffee:

There's a lot of Police and Central Security Forces present, however, their role is different to that of the Armed Forces in securing these elections. The Armed Forces is tasked mainly with protecting polling stations and the polls themselves whereas the Police and Central Security Forces are being used as fast response forces if anything happens elsewhere e.g protests, robberies, etc. etc.

They are around though, it's just that people don't like them as much as they do the army

10343001_494143227353543_3831319795357308290_n.jpg

10308282_493481760753023_3244064119376008431_n.jpg

How come Egyptian soldiers don't use M16? I thought Egypt been a US ally for decades :coffee:

Standard issue rifle remains the AKM. Cheap, rugged, reliable and simple, it remains the perfect weapon for a force full of conscripts. The elite forces (mainly made up of volunteers rather than conscripts) however use M4s, M16s, Sig-552s etc. etc.

Last edited:
Just a note, those rifles are made to comply with US export rules and are modified by another company for sale (IIRC it is Steyr). They are not what Egyptian troops or Police use.

That's what is was going to say. Because the ones I've noticed in Egypt have folding stocks and appear more modern. They have them in Gaza too. I've seen all variants of the AK in Egypt. Some with bayonets, wood stocks, folding stocks , etc....

Back
Top Bottom