What's new

Electricity import from India a priority for Nawaz

Indian Lobby in action. Believe it or not, Indian Lobby is too strong in US and many other countries. Where even International courts can take Indian Side. Otherwise, how a person will agree that you are making a dam and yet you will not consume the water? Which is legally not yours.

PS: When I was in pakistan i thought may be Pakistan is making wrong point, but when i see around, Indian lobby is involved almost everywhere. Government level even at my cooperation here.

Everything that goes against you can not be the conspiracy my friend. There is a reality. If for the sake of argument, if i agree about India lobbying is strong, then what are you doing about it?

Love story continues...

Mian sahib Iran pipeline par bhi dehan dain.

Hmmm why Electricity import from India?

I am sure there is already a lot of electric shedding problem in India as well...

Strange.

Had Imran khan been PM of pakistan he could have solved electricity problem in just 90 days. :cry: :Sigh:
@Aeronaut

Last edited by a moderator:
We are not even talking to you we are commenting on decision of our leader and putting forward our concerns.

Its a public forum n everybody can put his pov here besides the subjects relates to my country too, if u wanna have private discussions u can have them at home...:wave:

This is a stop gap arrangement at best. NS is a businessman, he knows Industry cant wait for the capacity to build up. Also he will need to make some good noise to get money for those capital intensive projects.

Depends whether or not Nawaz Sharif is interested in:

1) Being a patriot and building up national capability in the long-term, which will hurt himself in the short-term

Or, what most politicians in the world do: 2) Caring only about his own political/financial interests

There are so few politicians in the world who would genuinely choose to do the patriotic thing and build up their nation for long-term benefits (at cost to themselves), they all seem to run on short-term gains much like a corporate CEO would.

Depends whether or not Nawaz Sharif is interested in:

1) Being a patriot and building up national capability in the long-term, which will hurt himself in the short-term

Or, what most politicians in the world do: 2) Caring only about his own political/financial interests

There are so few politicians in the world who would genuinely choose to do the patriotic thing and build up their nation for long-term benefits (at cost to themselves), they all seem to run on short-term gains much like a corporate CEO would.

Why do you think building up national capacity will hurt him in short term? Dams are unpopular but only for the people who get displaced, rest of them will easily buy into it. Infact he can use to to get votes next time, if he can build a dam.
Judging by the good will they got(and votes) just by building metro transport system in lahore, I am more than certain he will go for big bang investment.

We Indian's like to work for our nation and people wherever we go. This is how things work with us. We might be working at Intel, but at the back of every educated Indian is a will to help his nation in whatever way he can. Good thing right :tup:

Yes from Indian prospective it's good thing.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...35795901.61982.242664339129484&type=1&theater

read this!! i think he won't go to india he will go china & saudis!

Love story continues...

Mian sahib Iran pipeline par bhi dehan dain.

iran pipeline is finished end of story. it was just one of the things zardari wished to do so he can next election campaign say see i tried to fix problem but mian didn't work on it!

mian will go to china & saudis for help. Iran pipeline was just a publicity stunt to win votes my friend

Why do you think building up national capacity will hurt him in short term? Dams are unpopular but only for the people who get displaced, rest of them will easily buy into it. Infact he can use to to get votes next time, if he can build a dam.
Judging by the good will they got(and votes) just by building metro transport system in lahore, I am more than certain he will go for big bang investment.

In order to get real benefits in the long-term, you always have to give up something in the short-term.

To get something in the long-term, you have to put down money now. And to get the benefit, you'll have to wait years or even decades.

Does that sound like it would sell to the ordinary person who wants something now? Why do they have to wait a decade instead of getting more benefits on social programs right now?

By the time a Three Gorges Dam project pays off (a decade), the person who started it would be out of power and would not reap the benefits.

Or, you could use that money instead to bribe your constituency with funding for social programs, and actually gain a sizable political benefit from it, while you are still in power and able to benefit from it. This is classic politics 101 and has been going on since the beginning of time.

How will you import electricity from saudis.... from china it will be expensive and time consuming...

we need OIL rest we can control line theft & eliminate circular debt! this should improve electrcity situation by alot! this is the short term plan!

In order to get real benefits in the long-term, you always have to give up something in the short-term.

To get something in the long-term, you have to put down money now. And to get the benefit, you'll have to wait years or even decades.

Does that sound like it would sell to the ordinary person who wants something now? Why do they have to wait a decade instead of getting more benefits on social programs right now?

By the time a Three Gorges Dam project pays off (a decade), the person who started it would be out of power and would not reap the benefits.

Well actually no.

Politicians can use the same project to get votes multiple times... first time showing a dream (we will build xyz if we come to power), second time starting it (see we did what we promised, reelect and we will make rest of promises true) and again once people reap benefit, it gives bragging right to the party for years, parties rule not person (see that dam, our party did it in 1980 which is why punjab is rich.. )... :)

The decisions you are talking are deeply unpopular decisions, like widening tax net or allowing FDI in certain countries when people are against it.. or allowing immigration when people dont want it.

People are not always against big projects, like dams. Nuclear reactors may be.. :)

Well actually no.

Politicians can use the same project to get votes multiple times... first time showing a dream (we will build xyz if we come to power), second time starting it (see we did what we promised, reelect and we will make rest of promises true) and again once people reap benefit, it gives bragging right to the party for years, parties rule not person (see that dam, our party did it in 1980 which is why punjab is rich.. )... :)

So why is it that the Indian government spends so much on social welfare programs like NEGEA (can't remember the exact spelling) instead of building a national manufacturing base, which should have been started decades ago to get the benefits now?

Because spending money now gets you political mileage. I believe the Americans call it "pork barrel spending".

Whereas spending money for something that will only really pay off in 1-2 decades, and taking the money away from projects like NEGEA, that is a hard sell.

The decisions you are talking are deeply unpopular decisions, like widening tax net or allowing FDI in certain countries when people are against it.. or allowing immigration when people dont want it.

You're right. Widening the tax net would have been a better example.

Politically painful in the short term, beneficial to your country in the long term.

Back
Top Bottom