What's new

Exclusive: U.S. expected to grant Iran sanction exceptions to China

ChinaToday

Reaction score
Country
China
Reuters) - The Obama administration is expected to extend exceptions on Iran sanctions to China and Singapore, perhaps as early as Thursday, two U.S. government sources said.

"There should be an announcement today," on China, Iran's top buyer of crude, and Singapore which buys fuel oil from the OPEC member, said one of the sources.

Earlier this month the administration granted exceptions to India and six other economies. Japan and 10 European Union countries got exceptions in March.

The sanctions seek to choke funding to Iran's nuclear program, which Western countries believe is aimed at making weapons. Tehran says the program is only for power and medical purposes.

Under the law President Barack Obama signed late last year, the administration can grant exceptions to countries that have "significantly reduced" their purchase of oil from Iran. The administration has not specified exactly the levels each country must cut, but Japan had trimmed imports by about 15 to 22 percent.

If China, whose imports from Iran fell in the first half of the year on a pricing dispute with Tehran, is granted an exception by the United States, the Obama administration risks severe criticism from sanction supporters on Capitol Hill. Energy industry sources expect China's imports from Iran to rise in June and July.

"I think we basically witnessed a game of chicken between the U.S. and China and the Obama Administration flinched first," a Senate Republican aide said, speaking on background.

The administration, however, is probably "prepared to take that risk because it would want to avoid a major diplomatic spat with Beijing" over the sanctions, said Mark Dubowitz, the head of the non-profit group Foundation for Defense of Democracies, which advocates tough sanctions on Iran

Exclusive: U.S. expected to grant Iran sanction exceptions to China | Reuters

Good for them It would have been unfair if USA would have imposed sanctions on China even after China decreased their iranian oil imports

We dcreased our oil import due to global slow down not because of america pressure

Whatever helps ya sleep. Quite fortuitous that China decreased its imports right as the US was asking it to, no relation whatsoever.

Whatever helps ya sleep. Quite fortuitous that China decreased its imports right as the US was asking it to, no relation whatsoever.
A little boy said to the sun, "I forbid you to go down". At the end of the day the sun went down, and the little boy said "I allow you to leave."

That's you in a nutshell. Notice the slowdown in our manufacturing and economy in general lately? I'm sure that has NOTHING to do with us buying less oil.

A little boy said to the sun, "I forbid you to go down". At the end of the day the sun went down, and the little boy said "I allow you to leave."

That's you in a nutshell.

Its worse than that if Americans were to sanction China they would not be able to borrow any money and therefore they would go bankrupt :rofl:

Bad relations with China would be good for the US. More manufacturing jobs stay.

Bad relations with China would be good for the US. More manufacturing jobs stay.

Doubt it, it probably go to other Asian countries if not China. More Chinese are demanding better pay and working conditions which could lead to many companies to look to somewhere else.

dammit, i was hoping for a showdown with the US.
they put sanctions on us and we sell their bonds and deny market access to their companies.

america knows they have a helluva lot more to lose than us.
they will face humilition on the world stage if we can cause any damage to them, no one expects us to win, we have everything to gain and show the world the US is vulnerable.

they did blink first using the excuse of cut back due to price negotiations.

only people like indians think america is an invinsible power, white boy a$$ lickers.

So how does these sanctions effect Iran if the major players are exempt? Face palm to the max.

dammit, i was hoping for a showdown with the US.
they put sanctions on us and we sell their bonds and deny market access to their companies.

america knows they have a helluva lot more to lose than us.
they will face humilition on the world stage if we can cause any damage to them, no one expects us to win, we have everything to gain and show the world the US is vulnerable.

they did blink first using the excuse of cut back due to price negotiations.

only people like indians think america is an invinsible power, white boy a$$ lickers.
indians are Anglo's buttboy.

USA is brittle superpower held together by bullying Muslim countries and bluffing against China. One significant military defeat and they go the way of the British Empire.

lets just try and figure out what america did.

they said first we are placing ban on Iranian oil.
then weeks later they said okay 99% of you can carry on buying oil but not china...

so basically they are trying to contain China...

Back
Top Bottom