What's new

EXCLUSIVE U.S. warships carrying out Taiwan Strait passage, first since Pelosi visit -officials

I don't understand why people think anything needs to happen here. This is normal freedom of navigation. If anything, this is a pretty weak gesture (sending ships slated for retirement in a couple of years) and probably a signal from us military that they want to dial down the tension.

Seeing this last couple of months it’s a useless gesture by the US & Co., it saddens me personally I have to pay taxes for this shit show called “freedom of navigation”. On top I have to pay through taxes some mothers crippled sons medical costs at the VA hospital due to his pointless adventure in war by the govt. In the end there was no fu*kin net gain talk about pissing on your money. As a businessman no body can quantify and justify this in any way to me and still keep a job.

I don't understand why people think anything needs to happen here. This is normal freedom of navigation. If anything, this is a pretty weak gesture (sending ships slated for retirement in a couple of years) and probably a signal from us military that they want to dial down the tension.
Because in order to keep that freedom, you have to actually exercise it. Not only that, if there is even a hint of anyone wanting to control that freedom, you have to challenge it and with the seas and oceans, it mean sailing your warships thru the disputed waters. It is not enough to sail civilian vessels. The best challenge is with military vessels, even a commissioned rowboat would suffice.

Because in order to keep that freedom, you have to actually exercise it. Not only that, if there is even a hint of anyone wanting to control that freedom, you have to challenge it and with the seas and oceans, it mean sailing your warships thru the disputed waters. It is not enough to sail civilian vessels. The best challenge is with military vessels, even a commissioned rowboat would suffice.
I mean I don't understand why anyone thinks pla needs to do something here. This is a signal that us military wants to move on from this crisis. And you saw that pla didn't really react much here. Now, if us navy sent a carrier through, that would have been a problem.

I mean I don't understand why anyone thinks pla needs to do something here. This is a signal that us military wants to move on from this crisis. And you saw that pla didn't really react much here. Now, if us navy sent a carrier through, that would have been a problem.
If China is serious about asserting that the Taiwan Strait is territorial waters, then people expect the PLA to actually do something. But no one knows unless there is an actual challenge by someone and that someone had better be credible -- like US.

If China is serious about asserting that the Taiwan Strait is territorial waters, then people expect the PLA to actually do something. But no one knows unless there is an actual challenge by someone and that someone had better be credible -- like US.
Has China said TW Strait is territorial water ? Like how PLA went into TW territorial water recently while usa ran away.
Hundreds of civilian ships pass thru the strait everyday with no issue.
In fact, every time usn ship go to the strait & chased away by PLA, it's like they're trying to make TW Strait look like Chinese territorial water. lol

China has never said that the Taiwan Strait is a territorial sea. International Law stipulates that the territorial sea is 12 nautical miles, while the Taiwan Strait is 130 km wide. China recognizes the Taiwan Strait as an international waterway and undertakes to guarantee the freedom and safety of navigation in the Strait. The US government's sending these two old warships to the Taiwan Strait is purely news hype. It clearly knows that China will not block international waterways.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom