What's new

F-16 Block 15MLU/50/52 Fighter

Status
Not open for further replies.
No fatman sir, chances are remote, that india will be offered the f 35. Nutuk we are aware of that news after that there is nothing that has came out. And the news is for the 5th gen requirement not for the MRCA tender. But the PAK FA seems to be on track with russian version about to take flight by next year march.

US offers F-35 fighters to India

A K Dhar in New Delhi
July 22, 2007 20:49 IST

In a major move, the United States has sent feelers that it is now ready for transfer of hi-technology weaponry to India, including its 5th generation joint Strike Fighter F-35.

Though Pentagon has offered New Delhi participation in its missile shield, top of the shelf 4th generation F-16 and F-18/A fighters, weapon locating radars and its new brand of long range maritime reconnaissance aircraft, it has so far kept the F-35 under wraps.

But in a surprise move last week, a high-level team from US Defence Major Lockheed Martin met top officials of the Indian Air Force to convey that the F-35 Lightning-II was available for IAF's 5th generation fighter requirements.

Lockheed Martin's Vice President for Business Development, Rob Weiss told PTI after the meeting that they had indicated that the F-35 was ready to be in reckoning for

India's fighter needs beyond the induction of the 126 Multi Role Combat Aircraft.

The offer would come in handy for India as the country's security experts have been struggling to find partners to develop futuristic 5th generation fighters.

Though New Delhi has been in negotiation with Moscow [Images] for joint development and joint investment in next generation fighters, the Russian concepts of such fighters is currently only on the drawing board.

Americans embarked on development of the F-35 in early 2000 with an intial cost outlay of USD 50 billion along with close strategic partners. The first of these new generation fighters are likly to be inducted into the US Air Force [Images] by the end of 2009 or in early 2010.

"In the next few years a number of countries are joining the F-35 programme and Indian Air Force could also consider joining," Weiss said. "We briefed top IAF officials about the new fighters."

With embedded antennas, aligned edges, internal weapons and fuel and special coatings and material, the F-35 fighter uses stealth to pick and choose engagements while reaming undetected by enemy defence systems.

Weiss said the F-35 fighters boast of the most powerful sensor suite ever to be fitted on a fighter plane which will enable it to bring a seamless real world and real time 360 degree display of the battlespace to turn the pilots into "tacticians rather than technicians."

Lockheed Martin officials said if new countries joined the F-35 programme, the US could be open to delivery of new generation fighters within the next decade.

They said if the IAF chose the Lockheed Martin world's best selling fighter F-16 fighting falcons, it could "position India to be ready to receive advanced technologies incorporated in the F-35's."

Lockheed Martin officials said lot of new technologies being tested on F-35 would be leveraged in the new generation F-16 Block 50 fighters.

Nutuk please note that this is a classic case of south Asian defence reporting I.E. utter crap.
If you read the headline it blares "INDIA TO GET F-35!!!" but in reality tucked away in the bottom it says IF India purchases the F-16 for the MRCA then they would position India to get "technologies from the f-35 in the future"

No fatman sir, chances are remote, that india will be offered the f 35. Nutuk we are aware of that news after that there is nothing that has came out. And the news is for the 5th gen requirement not for the MRCA tender. But the PAK FA seems to be on track with russian version about to take flight by next year march.

i believe the PAK FA program is delayed according to JDW. i will find the article and post it.

i believe the PAK FA program is delayed according to JDW. i will find the article and post it.

Well sir, that will be interesting, but according to latest news the russian version is supposed to take skies next year march, please post the article.

Nutuk please note that this is a classic case of south Asian defence reporting I.E. utter crap.
If you read the headline it blares "INDIA TO GET F-35!!!" but in reality tucked away in the bottom it says IF India purchases the F-16 for the MRCA then they would position India to get "technologies from the f-35 in the future"

then y does it say iaf shuold the project

US wants India's fighter jet order, dangles F-35 carrot
The U.S. government would need to approve any sale of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter to India. US is an unreliable friend , though it is a friend . Indians , particularly Scientific community ,Millitary and partiotic groups do not trust US . Good example is Nuke deal , which is almost dead , because of senseless strings attached to achieve US's unspoken goal is to curtail India's nuclear power by a trap . It is better to keep away from US , an unreliable friend .

Vishal Thapar / CNN-IBN

Published on Thursday , July 19, 2007 at 08:55 in Nation section

Tags: US, India

New Delhi: Unmatched stealth and super cruise - the Indian Air Force got a glimpse of the future of air combat in an American presentation on its next-generation fighter, the F-35, on Tuesday.

There were indications that the US is willing to share this new weapon with India, but it's clearly a carrot for giving the older F-16 a leg up in the Indian tender for 126 fighter aircraft.

Says Lockheed Martin's Royce Caplinger, "Beyond the RFP that's on the horizon, the F-35 too could play a role, sometime in the future."

The Americans are raising the bar for the competition in the Indian arms bazaar. They are making offers which are difficult to resist. India is being told that it can have the new generation stealth fighter for the price of an F-16.

"Think one to one and I am serious when I say this," says Caplinger.

So, the F-16 is now being sold as the transition to a fifth generation fighter, which has no parallel among the competition. And affordability is the key to this sales pitch.

The price is about $50 million apiece at current prices. The Americans promise that the F-35 will take India into a different league.

"It's a game changer, in every sense of the word," says Caplinger.

The Joint Strike Aircraft will be operationalised only by 2014. The first of India's 126 fighters of an earlier generation will only start arriving by then.

So, the signal that the F-35 would be available is bound to raise an Indian dilemma: Is India investing over Rs 40,000 crore in fighters which will be rendered obsolete by a similarly-priced aircraft?
IntelliBriefs: US wants India's fighter jet order, dangles F-35 carrot
i couldnt find the proper link but this is wat the air chief had to say abt the offer

“We cannot buy JSF,” Air Chief Marshall Shashindra Pal Tyagi told reporters as he outlined India’s ambitious modernization plan. “We would rather have most of the stuff done here.”

But that long list of countries that already have divvied up work on the project is exactly why — after looking closely at the program — India isn’t interested, Tyagi said. Indian officials have made it clear that they want a key development role in the aircraft they buy, along with the ability to build 90 percent of the jet in India.

Although interest in JSF is scant, Tyagi said he was attracted to Indian participation in Russia’s drive to develop a fifth-generation fighter jet, an endeavor that would allow Indian engineers to play a key early role in the program. New Delhi, however, is waiting on Russia, which has the lead on the effort.

^^^i think all this should be discussed in the indian section of the forum. this is a F-16 thread.
thx

Taiwan acquires 60 Harpoon missiles

August 28, 2008 (by Lieven Dewitte) - Taiwan has acquired 60 Harpoon anti-ship missiles from the United States to be used by the air force's F-16 fighter jets.

This US$90 million (S$127 million) missile deal comes in a boost of its defense against rival China.

The sale was announced after Washington affirmed in July that its policy on supplying arms to Taiwan remained unchanged amid speculation of an arms freeze to the island.

Taiwan's air force carried out its first test firing of the AGM-84 Harpoon missiles in 2004 in a display of the island's ability to ward off a Chinese invasion.

China and Taiwan have been diplomatic rivals since the end of the Chinese civil war in 1949. Beijing describes Taiwan as a renegade province that must be reclaimed by force if necessary.

Taiwan bought 120 AIM-120s (some sources state 200) from the United States in 2000 but they were only delivered after China had test-fired the Russian-made air-to-air AA-12 missiles on June 2002.

Washington had delayed delivery to avoid criticism that it was fuelling an arms race in the Taiwan Strait and only delivered the missiles after Beijing acquired the equivalent AA-12.

Washington has been the island's leading arms supplier, despite switching diplomatic recognition from Taipei to Beijing in 1979.

http://www.f-16.net

this is an interesting development - has the PAF considered this option?

Last edited:
Taiwan acquires 60 Harpoon missiles

August 28, 2008 (by Lieven Dewitte) - Taiwan has acquired 60 Harpoon anti-ship missiles from the United States to be used by the air force's F-16 fighter jets.

This US$90 million (S$127 million) missile deal comes in a boost of its defense against rival China.

The sale was announced after Washington affirmed in July that its policy on supplying arms to Taiwan remained unchanged amid speculation of an arms freeze to the island.

Taiwan's air force carried out its first test firing of the AGM-84 Harpoon missiles in 2004 in a display of the island's ability to ward off a Chinese invasion.

China and Taiwan have been diplomatic rivals since the end of the Chinese civil war in 1949. Beijing describes Taiwan as a renegade province that must be reclaimed by force if necessary.

Taiwan bought 120 AIM-120s (some sources state 200) from the United States in 2000 but they were only delivered after China had test-fired the Russian-made air-to-air AA-12 missiles on June 2002.

Washington had delayed delivery to avoid criticism that it was fuelling an arms race in the Taiwan Strait and only delivered the missiles after Beijing acquired the equivalent AA-12.

Washington has been the island's leading arms supplier, despite switching diplomatic recognition from Taipei to Beijing in 1979.

http://www.f-16.net

this is an interesting development - has the PAF considered this option?

Certainly will raise some eye brows in Beijing. US was very actively involved in raising the Tibet issue trying to give a bad name to China when the greatest event of all Olympics was about to began in China and now this. US was up to no good then and certainly is not now. If China needs to reclaim the island, it wont happen diplomatically and force will have to be used sooner then latter.

Certainly will raise some eye brows in Beijing. US was very actively involved in raising the Tibet issue trying to give a bad name to China when the greatest event of all Olympics was about to began in China and now this. US was up to no good then and certainly is not now. If China needs to reclaim the island, it wont happen diplomatically and force will have to be used sooner then latter.

as important as your point is, it can be discussed elsewhere - my main thrust was that pakistan has the harpoon asm in its inventory. has the PAF thought about integrating the missile on its F-16s!

x_man / blain2 any idea!

as important as your point is, it can be discussed elsewhere - my main thrust was that pakistan has the harpoon asm in its inventory. has the PAF thought about integrating the missile on its F-16s!

x_man / blain2 any idea!

Point taken sir!

Also sir if you or Blain sir can shed some light, now i know this is an F-16 thread but the issue is related to the Harpoon so i have raised this question. PAFs mirages V are for the naval role and they will be soon replaced by the JFs so has PAF integrated or thought of integrating this missile into the JFs or will even the US allow them to be inducted into the JF-17 considering Chinese participation in the project.

Point taken sir!

Also sir if you or Blain sir can shed some light, now i know this is an F-16 thread but the issue is related to the Harpoon so i have raised this question. PAFs mirages V are for the naval role and they will be soon replaced by the JFs so has PAF integrated or thought of integrating this missile into the JFs or will even the US allow them to be inducted into the JF-17 considering Chinese participation in the project.

the possibility of JF-17 using Harpoons are very low.. 10+ PN P-3 will use 40 odd harpoons.. upgraded Exocet or a new version of Exocet would be a choice for jf... one must wonder if jf-17 will have any anti-ship role and what will they carry after Mirage and Exocet retires? i dont think any new anti-ship missile for 4th generation fighter will be available... i even dough if JF-17 will be capable for anti-ship roles.. one draw back.. anti-ship missile??? other then P-3 only f-16 block 52+ will be capable for harpoon role...

x_man / blain2 any idea!

Pakistan has purchased a combination of Harpoons which include the Air Launched ones as well as Ship/SSK launched ones. The Air Launched ones are primarily for use with the Orions but PAF would also be able to use them with Blk52s as they will be the only ones capable of launching the Harpoons. Blk15s with or without MLU do not have this ability as far as I am aware.

Ice,

I do not think that PAF would go down the path of integrating Harpoons with the JF-17. The Chinese have quite a few Air launched AShMs that can be used with the JF-17s.

Network is correct.

Pakistan has purchased a combination of Harpoons which include the Air Launched ones as well as Ship/SSK launched ones. The Air Launched ones are primarily for use with the Orions but PAF would also be able to use them with Blk52s as they will be the only ones capable of launching the Harpoons. Blk15s with or without MLU do not have this ability as far as I am aware.
Ice,

I do not think that PAF would go down the path of integrating Harpoons with the JF-17. The Chinese have quite a few Air launched AShMs that can be used with the JF-17s.

Network is correct.

then why do we keep saying the blk15mlu = blk50/52 after upgrade. it was mentioned somewhere that actually the blk15mlu = blk40! is that a correct assumption?

then why do we keep saying the blk15mlu = blk50/52 after upgrade. it was mentioned somewhere that actually the blk15mlu = blk40! is that a correct assumption?

F-16 MLU will be just as capable as block52+ as they will both share same radar, and fire control.. its just that MLUs will be stationed in northern air command majority in sargodha or maybe all of them.... like ACM said... block 52 will be stationed in Shabaz base... so they will be the closest once for PN support..

>>>jaison; then y does it say iaf shuold the project US wants India's fighter jet order, dangles F-35 carrot
The U.S. government would need to approve any sale of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter to India. US is an unreliable friend , though it is a friend . Indians , particularly Scientific community ,Millitary and partiotic groups do not trust US . Good example is Nuke deal , which is almost dead , because of senseless strings attached to achieve US's unspoken goal is to curtail India's nuclear power by a trap . It is better to keep away from US , an unreliable friend .

The US even does not provides its closest alies the stuff to maintain JSF, even if they funded and provided technology. What makes you sure you get a carrot? As far as I can judge, and I can tell you that I know more then a few, that this project is to absorb technology and control it. They are not allowing you to open avionics... Let us forget any software or links. Even if you get it, which I doubt, you will end up being more depending on you know...

>>>Vishal Thapar / CNN-IBN
Published on Thursday , July 19, 2007 at 08:55 in Nation section

Old report.... Times change...

>>>“We cannot buy JSF,” Air Chief Marshall Shashindra Pal Tyagi told reporters as he outlined India’s ambitious modernization plan. “We would rather have most of the stuff done here.”

I doubt that...

>>>But that long list of countries that already have divvied up work on the project is exactly why — after looking closely at the program — India isn’t interested, Tyagi said. Indian officials have made it clear that they want a key development role in the aircraft they buy, along with the ability to build 90 percent of the jet in India.

They fail in deveoping so why join in a complex project? If LCA ends being a testcase the next program would be something like JSF? Harldy realistic. If China, which did a fine job with JF17 and J10, needs some time to go towards JXX then India is not even in the gen before that... Which is true cause they are busy with LCA.

>>>Although interest in JSF is scant, Tyagi said he was attracted to Indian participation in Russia’s drive to develop a fifth-generation fighter jet, an endeavor that would allow Indian engineers to play a key early role in the program. New Delhi, however, is waiting on Russia, which has the lead on the effort.

It is a paint part from the Indian side. India is still a beginner in aviation world. Keyrole? Please. The article becomes unrealistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom