What's new

FA-50 and JF-17 are the finalists for Malaysian Air Force's Deal: Korea Times

It is likely the LCA due to the palm oil move India pulled
If it's the Tejas, then it cannot be just for palm oil imports which can be stopped anytime as we did previously. It must have to do with backing from the US. India cannot compare with China on the influence level though the ill advised Chinese intrusion into/near Malaysian airspace is an important incident.

However trusting HAL alone to setup infrastructure in Malaysia isn't inspiring. Private entities from India have to be involved in some major way.

Right now - the FA-50 gives Malysia the opportunity to get onto the KFX/IFX programme with Indonesia and Korea as they will build up infrastructure that will allow them to onboard Korean origin jets in the future.

Now that they have taken JF17 off the table by looking for a glorified LIFT now - they have with the FA-50 programme a long term pathway.

If it's the Tejas, then it cannot be just for palm oil imports which can be stopped anytime as we did previously. It must have to do with backing from the US. India cannot compare with China on the influence level though the ill advised Chinese intrusion into/near Malaysian airspace is an important incident.

However trusting HAL alone to setup infrastructure in Malaysia isn't inspiring. Private entities from India have to be involved in some major way.
There is more than just that. IAF has good links due to the MKM program with the RMaF which has its say in what goes. As with all state procurement there are proponents for each within the Malaysian institution including civilian offset chances.
I interpreted the JF-17 not submitting a bid as either a mismatch on requirements or CATIC strong handedness on wanting to push the L-15. Could be a mix of both.
I would be curious as to what the proposal would be for the Tejas as a LIFT/LCA especially with the support chain. It does have common engine with the RMAF hornets so there is a big logistics bonus there but so did the JF-17(Mig-29 rd-33). However, the weapons suite is likely what will make a difference. The true leader of the pack could be the F/A-50 since it is a fairly good mix and unlike other competitors is both supersonic and capable of emulating other assets (I don’t know what the L-15 is capable of in that department).
The M-346 loses out in the speed range.
The mig-35 is a laughable submission in that it isnt light at all so unless the Russians drop the price it’s a really odd one out.

There is a huge difference in where the JF 17 vs the Tejas is in terms of operability and war-readiness. Air Forces around the world take a number of things into account, like the ease of maintenance, a steady supply of parts (in the case of JF-17, almost all if not all from the same source), etc. --- and, most importantly, if growing pains have been worked through in air and ground attack roles. The JF 17 has been bombing targets for years in actual real-world ops and was used over Kashmir too.
There is nothing that comes close to the JF 17 when you consider this combination of factors, which is why it has become a serious contender in various procurement drives around the world. Future compatibility with longer-range Chinese BVR missiles seals the deal for most.

And then what? Chinese threatening Malaysia using the same weapons in SCS? Like sending 15+ ac into eez airspace as a show of force by China?
JF17 most likely is out of competition as of now. They don't want Chinese product in current geopolitical environment. They already use US equipment Anyway.

Right now - the FA-50 gives Malysia the opportunity to get onto the KFX/IFX programme with Indonesia and Korea as they will build up infrastructure that will allow them to onboard Korean origin jets in the future.

Now that they have taken JF17 off the table by looking for a glorified LIFT now - they have with the FA-50 programme a long term pathway.

Malaysian so far has good perception toward Indonesian made defense equipment. After buying around 8 CN 235 in 1998, they are now converting 3 of the planes into MPA role in Indonesia Aerospace facility.

They also bought avionics from another Indonesian defense company, PT InfoGlobal for their Hawk squadron and has been sent to Malaysia just few days ago

1634866694614.png

And then what? Chinese threatening Malaysia using the same weapons in SCS? Like sending 15+ ac into eez airspace as a show of force by China?
JF17 most likely is out of competition as of now. They don't want Chinese product in current geopolitical environment. They already use US equipment Anyway.

Definitely could be the case. All great powers like the China and the US use coercive tactics.

My point was more about the JF 17 platform's combat readiness.

LOL... Another clueless. Talk as if real... Never trust an Indian words.

Malaysia is anti-Israel. US being close allies of Israel and killing so many muslim are highly detestable by Malaysia.

Definitely could be the case. All great powers like the China and the US use coercive tactics.

Never trust an Indian words. You are Pakistanis. Cant believe you take his words as real. Look at my post to him.

I am not discussing combat readiness. More so likely what Malaysia is about to choose.

Malaysia is anti-Israel. US being close allies of Israel and killing so many muslim are highly detestable by Malaysia.

Never trust an Indian words. You are Pakistanis. Cant believe you take his words as real. Look at my post to him.

Coming from China, CCP which has a history of backstabbing neighbors since the last 60 years it's rich.

Coming from China, CCP which has a history of backstabbing neighbors since the last 60 years it's rich.

There is more than just that. IAF has good links due to the MKM program with the RMaF which has its say in what goes. As with all state procurement there are proponents for each within the Malaysian institution including civilian offset chances.
I interpreted the JF-17 not submitting a bid as either a mismatch on requirements or CATIC strong handedness on wanting to push the L-15. Could be a mix of both.
I would be curious as to what the proposal would be for the Tejas as a LIFT/LCA especially with the support chain. It does have common engine with the RMAF hornets so there is a big logistics bonus there but so did the JF-17(Mig-29 rd-33). However, the weapons suite is likely what will make a difference. The true leader of the pack could be the F/A-50 since it is a fairly good mix and unlike other competitors is both supersonic and capable of emulating other assets (I don’t know what the L-15 is capable of in that department).
The M-346 loses out in the speed range.
The mig-35 is a laughable submission in that it isnt light at all so unless the Russians drop the price it’s a really odd one out.

Malaysia has retired their Mig 29 squadron.

Hopefully this will put the issue to bed and all the fanbois can stop arguing about which shit plane is less shittier

Hopefully this will put the issue to bed and all the fanbois can stop arguing about which shit plane is less shittier

Thunder had already withdrawn once it became clear they were looking for advanced jet trainer/light attack category aircraft due to the change in requirements.

Thunder had already withdrawn once it became clear they were looking for advanced jet trainer/light attack category aircraft due to the change in requirements.
There wasnt change in requirement the air force, from the start, is looking for a LIFT aircraft that could double as light fighter (to replace both MB-339 and Hawks). Thunder didn't participate to make way for L-15 which is deemed to suit the requirement better.

India and Russia simply wanted to try their luck and try to influence the selection process by trying to curry favor the administration despite their planes being ill suited for LIFT purpose

Back
Top Bottom