What's new

Failed Nation Report: Pakistanis protesting Electricity Bills

Clutch

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Pakistanis Upset by High Electric Bills
August 26, 2023 11:18 AM
VOA News
People visit the Faisal Mosque in Islamabad, Pakistan, on Aug. 25, 2023. Pakistanis are protesting increased taxes on electricity bills.
People visit the Faisal Mosque in Islamabad, Pakistan, on Aug. 25, 2023. Pakistanis are protesting increased taxes on electricity bills.

Consumers are taking to Pakistan’s streets to protest recently increased taxes on electricity bills.

In response, Pakistan’s caretaker Prime Minister Anwaar-ul-Haq Kakar has called for an emergency ministers’ meeting Sunday to discuss the high electricity bills.

“In the meeting, a briefing will be taken from the ministry of power and distribution companies and consultations will be held regarding giving maximum relief to consumers regarding electricity bills,” the prime minister posted on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter.

One person told the newspaper Dawn that his electricity bill was so high he could not afford to pay his children’s school fees. Another person said his bill

had doubled.

‘Don’t pay electricity bills’: Announcements from mosques make situation fluid
Overcharging sparks protests, people beat electric companies' workers
SAMAA WEB DESK
about 2 hours ago
FaceBook
Twitter
Linkedin
WhatsApp
The recent hike in electricity bills and overcharging have lit a fire under many people to take to the streets in protest as the cost of living skyrockets. Videos of announcements from mosques urging citizens not to pay the bills have gone viral on the internet.

The cost of electricity has surged up to Rs65 per unit that is being considered the fallout of standby agreement of International Monetary Fund (IMF). Apart from this, the cost of a litre of petrol is over Rs290 and likely to see an increment from next month.

Pause

Unmute

Close PlayerUnibots.in
Organized and unorganized protests are kicking up a storm in different parts of the country against the rising cost of living, so much so that the government is feeling the heat.

The people have refused to pay the bills.

In addition, videos of low-wage workers have been flooding the internet as they vent their frustrations about their astronomical power bills. They lament that the amount due is multiples of their monthly earnings despite minimal usage.

These videos have sparked outrage and anger among the masses.

Pakistanis Upset by High Electric Bills
August 26, 2023 11:18 AM
VOA News

Consumers are taking to Pakistan’s streets to protest recently increased taxes on electricity bills.

In response, Pakistan’s caretaker Prime Minister Anwaar-ul-Haq Kakar has called for an emergency ministers’ meeting Sunday to discuss the high electricity bills.

“In the meeting, a briefing will be taken from the ministry of power and distribution companies and consultations will be held regarding giving maximum relief to consumers regarding electricity bills,” the prime minister posted on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter.

One person told the newspaper Dawn that his electricity bill was so high he could not afford to pay his children’s school fees. Another person said his bill

had doubled.

‘Don’t pay electricity bills’: Announcements from mosques make situation fluid
Overcharging sparks protests, people beat electric companies' workers
SAMAA WEB DESK
about 2 hours ago
FaceBook
Twitter
Linkedin
WhatsApp
The recent hike in electricity bills and overcharging have lit a fire under many people to take to the streets in protest as the cost of living skyrockets. Videos of announcements from mosques urging citizens not to pay the bills have gone viral on the internet.

The cost of electricity has surged up to Rs65 per unit that is being considered the fallout of standby agreement of International Monetary Fund (IMF). Apart from this, the cost of a litre of petrol is over Rs290 and likely to see an increment from next month.

Pause

Unmute

Close PlayerUnibots.in
Organized and unorganized protests are kicking up a storm in different parts of the country against the rising cost of living, so much so that the government is feeling the heat.

The people have refused to pay the bills.

In addition, videos of low-wage workers have been flooding the internet as they vent their frustrations about their astronomical power bills. They lament that the amount due is multiples of their monthly earnings despite minimal usage.

These videos have sparked outrage and anger among the masses.

Where expecting a different result?

Some body has to pay for corruption and misrule ..

For some reason most Pakistanis were in a fools paradise thinking it is some one else’s problem….

looking at this objectively , I cannot see a pain free solution. Pakistan over the years has bound itself to paying for new generation capacity at usurious rates to the Chinese. They also over the years built up a massive circular debt that CONTINUES to grow at a phenomenal rate. Someone has to pay it and Pakistan I believe just cannot pay it whichever you slice and dice it.
The current pain is NOT ENOUGH to start making a dent in the circular debt and anymore pain would risk massive civil unrest,
Pakistan is caught between a rock and a hard place with no way out.
So Pakistan will do what it has always done, try to muddle along but the debts will continue to grow.

Higher than where I live by a lot
That is for high end users. For ordinary users, it is between 22 - 49 rupees per kWh. I pay 10 cents, that is about 30 rupees.

Prices are not way off the global rates; it is the low income that is the cause of the pain.

Dollarkhors filled their pockets with the IPP deals. Now the nation is paying for it. Might as well blow up those useless, empty, and unproductive power plants and call it a “terrorist” attack. Maybe we could escape the curse of circular debt.

Dollarkhors filled their pockets with the IPP deals. Now the nation is paying for it. Might as well blow up those useless, empty, and unproductive power plants and call it a “terrorist” attack. Maybe we could escape the curse of circular debt.
You are 100% correct. This disaster is a drama that began with the IPPs. This storm was only a matter of time. The IPPs need to be nationalized, or we will sink further down.

You are 100% correct. This disaster is a drama that began with the IPPs. This storm was only a matter of time. The IPPs need to be nationalized, or we will sink further down.
But our genius politicians made such deals that over the smallest things companies bring us to international court and get us fined for billions. Nationalizing IPP’s and breaking any agreements with them which allow them to take us to court, will do more harm than benefit. Only option I see is call it a “terrorist attack” and finish the curse of IPP’s. The country’s a joke anyways so everyone will believe it.

Where expecting a different result?

Some body has to pay for corruption and misrule ..

For some reason most Pakistanis were in a fools paradise thinking it is some one else’s problem….
Khata hey tu lagata be hey

Weren't they seeing what happened in 1999 when we defaulted? Surely everyone knew. I was 10 yrs old kid and I knew it how come they don't?

Weren't people seeing how Pakistan refinanced everything after 9/11 under Paris agreement, surely state media was not stop spreading that and everyone in central punjab has TV. didn't they see it. I was 14 I saw it on news

Weren't people seeing how people were bombed to smithereens for dollars 💵💵. Surely the people of central punjab weren't this naive?? Were they?

Weren't people seeing how massive spending were done without questions asked on loans..I mean surely everyone knew these were built on loans..didn't anybody ask what the **** is coal plant doing in the middle of sahiwal and where the coal is coming from

We aren't talking about ignorant rural Sindhis who sir at vaderas feet or people from tribal areas who never saw electricity a TV or can speak urdu

I am talking about lahore faisalabd and other Highly Educated people who use to ride their motorbike with slogan
"Khata hey tu lagata be hey"

I mean surely they weren't this naive

But apparently they are

The next hope is

Nawaz sharif the great administrator

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom