What's new

Famous quotes regarding India

Ganga

Reaction score
We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made.
-Albert Einstein

If I were asked under what sky the human mind has most fully developed some of its choicest gifts, has most deeply pondered on the greatest problems of life, and has found solutions, I should point to India.
- Max Mueller (German scholar)

Mark Twain said: India is, the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and most instructive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only.

French scholar Romain Rolland said: If there is one place on the face of earth where all the dreams of living men have found a home from the very earliest days when man began the dream of existence, it is India.

The land of dreams and romance, of fabulous wealth and fabulous poverty, of splendour and rags, of palaces and hovels, of famine and pestilence, of genii and giants and Aladdin lamps, of tigers and elephants, the cobra and the jungle, the country of hundred nations and a hundred tongues, of a thousand religions and two million gods, cradle of the human race, birthplace of human speech, mother of history, grandmother of legend, great-grandmother of traditions, whose yesterday's bear date with the modering antiquities for the rest of nations-the one sole country under the sun that is endowed with an imperishable interest for alien prince and alien peasant, for lettered and ignorant, wise and fool, rich and poor, bond and free, the one land that all men desire to see, and having seen once, by even a glimpse, would not give that glimpse for the shows of all the rest of the world combined.
- Mark Twain

When I read the Bhagavad-Gita and reflect about how God created this universe everything else seems so superfluous.
- Albert Einstein

India - The land of Vedas, the remarkable works contain not only religious ideas for a perfect life, but also facts which science has proved true. Electricity, radium, electronics, airship, all were known to the seers who founded the Vedas.
- Wheeler Wilcox (American poet)

http://http://www.theholidayspot.com/indian_independence_day/quotes.htm

Will Durant, American historian: "India was the motherland of our race, and Sanskrit the mother of Europe's languages: she was the mother of our philosophy; mother, through the Arabs, of much of our mathematics; mother, through the Buddha, of the ideals embodied in Christianity; mother, through the village community, of self-government and democracy. Mother India is in many ways the mother of us all".

Hu Shih, former Ambassador of China to USA: "India conquered and dominated China culturally for 20 centuries without ever having to send a single soldier across her border."

Dr Arnold Toynbee, British Historian: "It is already becoming clear that a chapter which had a Western beginning will have to have an Indian ending if it is not to end in the self-destruction of the human race. At this supremely dangerous moment in history, the only way of salvation for mankind is the Indian way."

William James, American Author: "From the Vedas we learn a practical art of surgery, medicine, music, house building under which mechanized art is included. They are encyclopedia of every aspect of life, culture, religion, science, ethics, law, cosmology and meteorology."

P. Johnstone: "Gravitation was known to the Hindus (Indians) before the birth of Newton. The system of blood circulation was discovered by them centuries before Harvey was heard of."

Sir W. Hunter, British Surgeon: "The surgery of the ancient Indian physicians was bold and skilful. A special branch of surgery was dedicated to rhinoplasty or operations for improving deformed ears, noses and forming new ones, which European surgeons have now borrowed."

B.G. Rele: "Our present knowledge of the nervous system fits in so accurately with the internal description of the human body given in the Vedas (5000 years ago). Then the question arises whether the Vedas are really religious books or books on anatomy of the nervous system and medicine." ('The Vedic Gods')

:blah::blah::blah:

Sorry dude but why is it that we always appreciate goras flattering us?
Past glories are well...past.

Third person view perhaps? You should know that all these people have much more knowledge about India than you and me, i.e., the common people of India. It is not about them being "goras", it is about their intellectual capacity and comprehensive wisdom.

To Ganga
Good work and thanks for sharing.

I think we should make effort to bring to light how much and how profoundly India
has influenced the rest of the world, for not so cognizant members of the forum.

French scholar Romain Rolland said: If there is one place on the face of earth where all the dreams of living men have found a home from the very earliest days when man began the dream of existence, it is India.

This was very true until the birth of 'American Republic' .

The ancient India was much more prosperous than present day America. Technological innovations/developments is not the parameter of quality of life, if that is what you wanted to convey.

INDIAN ARMY QUOTES

"If I die in combat zone
Box me up and send me home
Pin my medals to my chest
Tell my mom I did my best"

"When you go home
Tell them of us
And say
For your Tomorrow
We gave our Today."

" if i march follow me
if i try to run back kill me
if i die then avenge me "

If the British had not come..we would still have been that.

INDIAN ARMY QUOTES

"If I die in combat zone
Box me up and send me home
Pin my medals to my chest
Tell my mom I did my best"

"When you go home
Tell them of us
And say
For your Tomorrow
We gave our Today."

" if i march follow me
if i try to run back kill me
if i die then avenge me "

You forgot on more important thing:

It's God's responsibilty to forgive the terrorists,
It is our duty to arrange the meeting between the two.

"The enemy are only 50 yards from us. We are heavily outnumbered. We are under devastating fire. I shall not withdraw an inch but will fight to our last man and our last round."

Last message of Maj. Sharma Somnath 1st PVC '48

"WHAT? Aliens? We need our best minds for this problem."

"Get India on the phone."

Monsters V Aliens.

p.s. All in good humour my friends.

regards,

Where is that quote of Winston Churchill that India wont survive after independence...makes me proud of what we have achieved today after 63 yrs...wish Churchill was alive to see India today.

:blah::blah::blah:

Sorry dude but why is it that we always appreciate goras flattering us?
Past glories are well...past.

Ignore them yaar,some people in our country have this Gora syndrome.When a Indian says India is doing well economically,people think its boasting,when a Gora says it, hez worshiped.:rolleyes:

Little do they know the same Goras call us slumdogs and 7/11s behind our backs.;)

Mods close this thread has nothing to do with defense :mod:

Ignore them yaar,some people in our country have this Gora syndrome.When a Indian says India is doing well economically,people think its boasting,when a Gora says it, hez worshiped.:rolleyes:

Little do they know the same Goras call us slumdogs and 7/11s behind our backs.;)

Mods close this thread has nothing to do with defense :mod:

For gods sake its not about Goras, its about the pride we get when some of the highly intelligent intellectuals of their time uphold our belief system as a truly great one. What's wrong in it? I am not revering Albert Einstein just for this. I am just happy that what I believe in, has able to garner acknowledgment from highly successful Individuals. Don't bring in color into this. I'll be equally happy if a highly successful Indian says so. Also, if we praise ourselves, it wouldn't satisfy our egos. We need a third party perspective to appreciate something we have. That's just human nature..

Back
Top Bottom