What's new

Field artillery of the 21st century

sparten

Reaction score
Some interesting comments.

I hope the Brig or OOE can give their input. And how has the Iraq war changed anything in this regard.

Of late and especially after the 1991 'Gulf War' - and the rout of the Iraqi Artillery - mainly single barrelled and towed - some doubts have started arising in my mind about the efficacy of such a workhorse which has served the armies of the world since time immemorial.
It would be erroneous to say that gun powder (black powder) and the development of guns is related in any way. Both these have developed independent of each other. The earlier guns were merely contraptions which 'hurled' - projectiles - mainly stones (round ones) and were used to batter fortresses. The 'projectiles' as we know them now were not 'fired' i.e., these were explosive driven. They were just thrown mechanically and not chemically. Perhaps the best earlier example of gun were the 'Pot De Fer' - a sort of a pot with a touch hole and which projected an arrow through the pressure built in the pot. And of course the study of the development of fire power indicates that at one time a bullet of rifle/musket achieved greater range than an artillery piece.
Guns apparently were a harmless artifact - although there is evidence that these were used in the Siege of Calais (around 1391) and they used iron shot.
Harmless these pieces were as the following ballad indicates:
'Gonners to schew their art
Into the town in many a parte
Schot many a fulle great stone
Thanked be God and Mary Mild
They hurt neither man, woman, nor child
To the houses, though they did harm.'
All the same the invention and use of gun powder democratised warfare and struck a death blow to the age of chivalry. The artillery as an arms started emerging as distinctly as it possibly could. Its main contribution to the battlefield was fire power - and the capability to neutralise the enemy - and thus keeping his head down.
The Russians (Stalin) called the artillery as 'God of War' - and Herman Goering told the German people '... Guns will make us powerful, butter will only make us fat...' And then the great scientist of war Capt Liddel Hart had opined '... Its the fire power, and fire power alone, that arrives at the correct time and place that counts in the modern war....'
This I should suppose was the peak of the conventional artillery which still remained single barrelled - although some variants of this, like mortars and sawed off barrels like the howitzers also existed to effectively deal with crest problems, and special problems.

Taking fire power as the main parameter - some thoughtful people started thinking of multiplying it - and saturating the battlefield with more of it - and that's how the idea of multiple rocket launchers was translated into the manufactures of MLRs. It is a fad now - perhaps a formidable fashion.
In fact in some circles it was thought - and is still being thought - perhaps rightly so that the single barrelled artillery has reached its optimum development - and there is no further scope for its development as such.
I remember while writing on this subject I wrote in The Nation Lahore of May 1991 '... The single barrelled gun has almost reached the end of its development. The medium gun (155 mm calibre) has got a barrel length of 50 calibres (50 x 155 mm) Any increase in barrel length will pose problems of articulation weight distribution - and even recoil absorption. The barrel construction would require advanced autofrettage technology and other refinements to withstand stresses of extra range ammunition (HEER i.e. High Explosive Extra Range.) ... It would also probably require liquid propellants rather than the existing and commonly used single or double based propellants. Towed artillery (single barrelled) - and especially comparatively heavier weapons, need time both for deployment and coming out of action. This problem has been partially solved by the Bofor auxiliary mover - a sort of gear which can displace the gun (once it fires). It is in fact a 'shoot and scoot' arrangement as the Indian authorities prefer to call it.
'... And then only a limited number of guns can be self-propelled which have to keep pace with armour operations...' Gen Sunderji (late) an Ex-COAS of the Indian Army was a great fan of 'shoot and scoot' idea.
The idea and use of MLRs appears to be gaining more ground - especially so after the Gulf War - 1991 - where these multi-rocket launchers played havoc with Iraqi targets. Some diehards like the Bofors and others had doubted the ballistic performance and accuracy of the rocket launchers - but apparently they did not appreciate the saturation of the FEBA (Forward Edge of Battle Area) which these multiple rockets could cause with the instant shower of steel (time wise). A conventional gun could do this but in a slower manner - and hence the effect would be partially lost.
Yes, strictly from ballistic point of view it is a moot point if the rocket launchers could be just a ballistically sophisticated as well tried workhorse i.e., the single barrelled gun. But sometimes the accuracy has to be traded for fire effect and surprise - and that's exactly what the rocket launchers do. Even the armour is not safe against the shower of steel which emanates from the rocket launchers - and it is almost instantaneous - It puts the fear of God in the opponents heart.
There is evidence from the accounts of 1991 Gulf War - that these weapons have even been used - and very effectively too as CB (Counter Battery) weapons - merely on the strength of their volume of fire power, and not intrinsic accuracy.
Gulf War - 1991 may perhaps be considered as a watershed in the use of artillery by the warring sides. The Allies used their guns in the most offensive manner - and the Iraqis were purely defensive and therefore could not make any impression on the Allies. It should be conceded that the Iraqis had enough artillery - but they did not use it effectively. Some innovative technology was also used by the Allies in the Gulf War to make their artillery more effective and cost efficient. Some of the more important force multipliers were:
*The effective use of RPVs/UAVs (Israeli supplied) for the purpose of target acquisition. These could operate and acquire targets in depth areas - and those located away from the line of sight - and were great help to the field commander as a real time information.
*The Allies made use of highly streamlined and sophisticated survey methods and used satellites for fixations - and other survey operations. This was very quick and accurate - and was the basis of very accurate 'Predicted Fire.' The American call it 'surprise' fire.
*The Allies made a very extensive use of SP (Self-Propelled) and Multiple Rocket Launchers in their artillery plan as opposed to the Iraqis who relied mostly on towed single barrelled guns (which were emplaced.)
I had an opportunity of getting a first hand information about the use of artillery in the Gulf War from the then Chief Instructor of Artillery School-Fort Sill (USA) - now Maj-Gen Robert H. Scales Jr and some of his more pertinents observations will be found in the paragraphs that follow. Incidentally he toured the battlearea immediately after the war - and has also written the official American history of Gulf War - 'Certain Victory - The US Army in the Gulf War'.
This happened sometimes in August/September 1992 - and here are some pertinent extracts from Gen Scales' letter to me.
'... Your letter arrived just as we are closing down our project. But I can give you some general answers to your questions.
Here goes:
Ratio of Towed Versus SP.
This is the key lesson of the war. The American ratio was eight to one SP to towed. Iraqi artillery was one to ten. Before the ground war began, Iraqis detached most truck primers and employed these to haul supplies. As a result the Iraqi artillery could not displace between missions. The Iraqis hoped to compensate for their lack of mobility by bunkering guns and ammunition ... In previous wars, this was an effective technique because towed artillery is a most difficult target to destroy with indirect fire.... However, the appearance of MLRs and bomblet ammunition (smart ammunition too - parenthesis mine) has changed the equation radically. With a single point of explosion, to cause damage fragments must strike an equilibrator, gun sight or propellant storage to kill a towed gun - a very unlikely prospect. A two-third maximum range with **** ammunition (as against smart-parenthesis mine) the probability is about one in two thousands. But with multiple impacts from bomblets ammunition delivered with less than 50 meters error thanks to CM Radars, position locating devices, digital fire control, etc., the probability of incapacitating a gun is about one in ten for each volley fired, about one in three for a single MLR pod ... Remember today the radius of error is now smaller than the radius of effect for indirect fire - that is the real technological revolution in modern ground warfare - not precision munitions as the popular Press attests....'
It appears that the above trends in the development of artillery are quite discernible in India and elsewhere. India as would be known is perennially engaged in a war of low intensity against Pakistan on the CFL (Ceasefire Line) - and in the recent traumatic Kargil Operations. India has a burgeoning artillery arm officered by at least 4,617 officers - and as a result of Kargil operation in which their intelligence and target acquisition was flawed are thinking in terms of acquiring more state of the art equipment - and force multipliers.
It is generally thought in India that their 'Pinaka' developed by DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organisation) is not really suitable as multi-barrel - rocket system. The Indians are toying with the idea of the Russian Smerch system which can saturate targets upto 70 Kilometers - and would have done much better in Kargil where the intruders were occupying heights in Batalik and Point 4875 in Dras Sector.
The Indian Army has also decided to go in for Israeli unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) - Searcher Mark II - which will provide long range electronic surveillance and target acquisition capability for counter bombardment (CB) Operations. The Indians are also tempted by the Israeli ELM-2140 Battle Field Surveillance radar - and of course they have a programme in sight for more SP guns.
It appears that the Indians are fast learning from the lessons of the Gulf War - and thus providing more teeth to their artillery arm. Pakistan - comparatively is moving rather slowly in this direction.

http://www.defencejournal.com/dec99/field-artillery.htm

I think, reading between the lines as it were, that he is justifying the role of artillery on the modern battlefied. As you well know, there are a lot of inter-service rivalries going on all the time, and in effect each branch and service is after a bigger share of the funds available to the services as a whole. In both world wars I think it is generally accepted that artillery was the Queen of the battlefield. But what of today? The need for artillery is still there, but will future wars employ artillery in the same manner as before. Ground attack aircraft may be a better choice in many cases. Artillery to defend ones own territory is one thing, but what happens 'out of theatre'? Logistics then becomes a huge problem. The guns themselves are heavy, and they can consume huge quantities of ammunition which also has to be transported and stored. SPGs are even heavier and pose fearsome logistical problems.
Add to the above the need to get your name known to the authorities and to your peers and I think we can all see why the (very interesting) article was written.
(Say it softly, for I did the same thing when I was in uniform!)

Sorry to disagree, Sir, but there is simply no cheaper and more effective way to deliver steel than the good old guns. Guns ain't hamper by rain nor weather and is available 24/7 once set up. airpower can deliver ordnance faster but no way cheaper. You're talking about round trips here that consume more fuel than a simple truck driving to the front.

Sorry to disagree, Sir, but there is simply no cheaper and more effective way to deliver steel than the good old guns. Guns ain't hamper by rain nor weather and is available 24/7 once set up. airpower can deliver ordnance faster but no way cheaper. You're talking about round trips here that consume more fuel than a simple truck driving to the front.

I have to agree with you. Airpower is great, only to an extent. Artillery and plain old infantry still are the only ways to secure and hold ground. Nothing beats boots on the ground. The US is finding this out the hard way in both Iraq and Afghnistan.

True, Gentlemen, air power is not the complete answer, and if I led you to think that I am very much in error. I was trying to point out that the paper appeared to have been written by a proponent of artillery, as he was putting it in the best possible light. I couldn't fault his reasoning and he clearly had inside information on the recent use of guns.
Times change and it isn't always necessary or wise to hurl tons of explosive on an enemy.
If the guns don't 'shoot & scoot' they are asking for a counter bombardment. There will be occasions where Multiple Launch Rocket Systems will be more than adequate for the job.
I am not saying that the day of the big gun is over, but it seems that artillery appears to make up a smaller fraction of a field force these days than it used to, not so long ago and is itself more vulnerable. The European trend is toward lighter, more mobile pieces than hitherto. I think we have seen the last of the really big pieces. Of course self propelled guns are necessary for keeping up with armoured formations but tanks are also beginning to be perceived as relics of a bygone age and I think their days are numbered. Heck, it's only my opinion and I'm more than happy to hear other opinions. After all, I've been out of the services for a quarter of a century!

Glyn,

I agree that as warfare technology matures, so will it's differnt components. Nowadays, if you don't have "shoot and scoot", gun locating radars can ensure you will be pounded to mincemeat. The artillery role is here to stay, but I think the delivery platforms will change, to more intelligent "delivery" or even defense. If we can ever make the THEL system more mobile, and start funding it again, we now have a counter to "incoming".

Artillery has gone from rocks hurled by catapault, to area denial weapons. It may evolve but as a component, I think it is here to stay as a means to keep the belly-crawler where he belongs - away from you!

I've re-read the article with Glyn's opinion in mind and it is an extremely shallow, almost directed towards civilians rather than a military audience. Towed tubes still have their place, even in shoot-and-scoot, even from our days in the Cold War. Moving 100 feet is enough to throw the bad guys off.

The Colonel liked to use the Kuwait War as the example. However, he did not go into detailed study on how rockets and tubes were employed. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both. The simple truth is that both had their place and neither is going to replace the other just as airpower has its place and it ain't going to replace guns anytime soon.

There are employment distances to consider. For an advance column, fire is delivered the furthest from the column by air, fixed 1st, followed by rotorwings, then comes the rockets, then comes tube, then comes the ATGMs, then comes tank, then comes mortar, the MG and lastly the bayonet. The situation is obvious, the more lethal and farther hitting fire goes to the furthest target - to avoid blue-on-blue incidents (doesn't always work but that's the idea). The more precise and more controlled the system, the closer you employ to your people.

When the Iraqis came out of their trenches and manouver, then it was the case of the ground forces having to close in for the kill, not airpower. The columns were simply moving too fast for effective targetting; at least not while providing an intolerable risk of blue-on-blue.

With apologies to Colonel but this was a rotten sales pitch.

The Colonel liked to use the Kuwait War as the example. However, he did not go into detailed study on how rockets and tubes were employed. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both. The simple truth is that both had their place and neither is going to replace the other just as airpower has its place and it ain't going to replace guns anytime soon.

Trying to use the Kuwait war to further the cause of field artillery seems illogical, after all compared to the Allied force the Iraqis' were least worst in that area. If the Iraqi's had performed brilliantly than that would have been good for the cause of Artillery but the fact that they got hammered whether rightly or wrongly sounded the begining of the end for large towed field artillery.

From a developing nations point of view to fight against superior foes such as Western powers, Artillery is nothing more than an expensive shooting target for the opponents airforce. What works is well trained volunteer troops equiped with small advanced weaponry such as shoulder launched anti air missiles, guided anti tank missiles, night vision, anti-ship missiles and so forth. The days of large conscript armies numbering in the hundreds of thousands with thousands of tanks, artillery and BMP's should have died with the heavy defeat of Saddam's army in Kuwait.

Trying to use the Kuwait war to further the cause of field artillery seems illogical, after all compared to the Allied force the Iraqis' were least worst in that area. If the Iraqi's had performed brilliantly than that would have been good for the cause of Artillery but the fact that they got hammered whether rightly or wrongly sounded the begining of the end for large towed field artillery.

I would suggest you look at the North Korean DMZ for a proper study of artillery usage.

What works is well trained volunteer troops equiped with small advanced weaponry such as shoulder launched anti air missiles, guided anti tank missiles, night vision, anti-ship missiles and so forth.

You've just died. You're relying on the man being able to see his target with the naked eye.

1. You've just died. You're relying on the man being able to see his target with the naked eye.

1. Most developing nations cant afford beyond visual capability because they cant afford the UAV's needed and so forth so their artillery suffers from the same thing. A 3 man team with mortar or ATGM is much less visible than a huge artillery piece towed by a truck. Artillery pieces also divert funds for poor nations away from airdefense as well.

1. Most developing nations cant afford beyond visual capability because they cant afford the UAV's needed and so forth so their artillery suffers from the same thing.

What the hell is wrong with a man and a radio?

A 3 man team with mortar or ATGM is much less visible than a huge artillery piece towed by a truck. Artillery pieces also divert funds for poor nations away from airdefense as well.

And a man with a radio is even less visible and on top of that, he doesn't have to run when he's out of ammo and he can stay in the fight alot longer since he's got way more ammo at his disposal than any 3 man team can carry.

I had missed this thread.

I think each type of weapon system has a role to play and so a mix of mortars, towed guns, self propelled guns, multiple barrel rocket launchers would be necessary depending upon the mission, the enemy fortifications, the distance of the enemy, so on and so forth.

With better gun and mortar locating devices, it has become totally imperative to have the "shoot and scoot" capabilities.

In the desert one would require tracked arty to keep pace, in the mountains not too large guns and preferably howitzers or else they will not be able to move on mountain roads or tuck themselves in (since there is very little deployment area) and so on.

Therefore, one can never apply one scenario as a template and consider it as the panacea of fire support problems.

Then there is the huge problem of logistics and ammunition.

The US gun which was under trials (was it the Challenger?) and then abandoned owing to lack of funds was an interesting one where the weapon acquired the target, computed the data, loaded the gun, fired a salvo, scooted and all from one platform. It was a real interesting development!

As far as the article goes, I too did not get what was the aim behind it. What did the author want to convey?

Back
Top Bottom