What's new

Floods to hit economic growth: Finance Ministry

It is a fact that such thoughts occure in our mind..human weakness..but one must over come such cheap thoughts..that is human power..cheers.

OK if such thoughts come in your mind then at least please don't express those thoughts to people who will take that in bad taste. It's not necessary to express every thing which comes in mind.

Hope paistan recovers ASAP as we all want a developed South East Asia and why do we fight like cats and dogs even though we have been living together for thousands of years

if we look hard enough we can see a silver lining. with all this destruction due to the floods, after the floods there will be a surge in demand for various goods. an excellent chance for the industries to expand. the GDP growth might infact pickup after a lul.

^^ Demand is useless until it has supporting factors in its favour.

This is not america after world war 2 where everything was favourable.

america after ww2?

wat are you talking about?

the growth rate actually dipped in US at the end of the war. there had been no destruction to provide the demand in US.

better look at germany and japan whose economies boosted after the war because there had been more destruction there and that provided the demand for their industries.

By 'america after world war 2' I mean america in the 2 decades after ww2. Not short term!

^^ Demand is useless until it has supporting factors in its favour.

This is not america after world war 2 where everything was favourable.

I would actually disagree with you here mate; i am optimistic that this flood will bring better governance, economic development and awareness among the people. Keep in mind these areas that have been affected are rampant with poverty and illiteracy.

I remember after the Earth Quake in 2005 it appeared that everything was hopeless, but the reconstruction efforts with the help of foreign agencies were in my opinion exceptional. Cities and Villages that were destroyed were rebuilt and in much better state than they were before. Economic activity picked up and more funds were earmarked for education projects. Today in my opinion AK serves as a role model for KP and Balochistan.

I am quite sure once the reconstruction effort starts, the state of these areas will be much better than it was before the flood. I must commend the USAID for doing a marvellous job, i have seen first hand the funds they have allocated for farming and education related projects in the poor areas. Once the reconstruction starts, i am sure USAID and other foreign/local agencies will help the poor farmers in modernizing their methods and techniques to yield more crops. Its only a matter of time before things start normalizing and Pakistan will again start growing at 7% economically. Unfortunately we are going through a very important self correcting process, once this painful process is over we will emerge much stronger. There is always hope my friend ;)

I would actually disagree with you here mate; i am optimistic that this flood will bring better governance, economic development and awareness among the people. Keep in mind these areas that have been affected are rampant with poverty and illiteracy.

I remember after the Earth Quake in 2005 it appeared that everything was hopeless, but the reconstruction efforts with the help of foreign agencies were in my opinion exceptional. Cities and Villages that were destroyed were rebuilt and in much better state than they were before. Economic activity picked up and more funds were earmarked for education projects. Today in my opinion AK serves as a role model for KP and Balochistan.

I am quite sure once the reconstruction effort starts, the state of these areas will be much better than it was before the flood. I must commend the USAID for doing a marvellous job, i have seen first hand the funds they have allocated for farming and education related projects in the poor areas. Once the reconstruction starts, i am sure USAID and other foreign/local agencies will help the poor farmers in modernizing their methods and techniques to yield more crops. Its only a matter of time before things start normalizing and Pakistan will again start growing at 7% economically. Unfortunately we are going through a very important self correcting process, once this painful process is over we will emerge much stronger. There is always hope my friend ;)

Agree with you , there is always a hope and one should not leave it.
Now come back to 2005 earth quake vs 2010 flood, you can't compare both of them.
Earth quake was in limited region, a region's output was not big part of GDP. And flood which is affecting major corps (which are big part of GDP) and affected area needs toooo much money for reconstruction. Too many people(in millions) is depended on government help for long time.

Major points
1. In 2005 Pakistan was not fighting with TTP in KP
2. There was more stability than current time
3. Economy was in its best health.
4. Pervez Musharraf(no comments on how was he and what he did from supporter as well as ppl who don't like him) was in power and right now ---..

Still you guys can use billion+ $$$ money to build new infrastructure, which will give boost to cement, steel and construction industry and lots of work for affected ppl from flood.

You guys have to prove your self now and you will.
If there is a will there is a way.:tup::tup::tup:

Flood loss estimates rise to $43bn: PM

ISLAMABAD: The federal cabinet was informed on Wednesday that economic losses inflicted by the floods were estimated at $43 billion, almost equal to the expenditures incurred on the war on terror over the past nine years.

The floods have affected 79 of the 124 districts — 24 in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, 19 in Sindh, 12 in Punjab, 10 in Balochistan and seven each in Azad Kashmir and Gilgit-Baltistan.

Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said the government had released massive funds to the provinces under the 7th National Finance Commission Award and relief funds would be disbursed after the Council of Common Interests evolved a mechanism.

He said the national economy had grown by 4.1 per cent last year and was expected to grow four per cent this year, but it might end up at 2.5 per cent, causing massive job losses and affecting incomes of thousands of families.

The prime minister said the devastation might also affect revenue collection and increase expenditures, widening the budget deficit.

It would hit the textile and sugar sectors and in turn affect the balance of payments and external resource stability, he said.

Mr Gilani said growth of the manufacturing sector might fall far below the target of 5.6 per cent.

He also said that inflation might increase to 15-20 per cent, much more than the 9.5 per cent target.

Inflation in the short term (one to three months) may rise significantly because of reduced supply due to crop destruction.

The prime minister said a meeting of the CCI had been convened on Friday to prepare a national strategy for rehabilitating the affected people in consultation with the provinces.

Briefing journalists after the cabinet meeting, Information Minister Qamar Zaman Kaira said 20 million people had been affected and 7.5 million of them had been displaced.

United Nations agencies and the National Disaster Management Authority estimate that crops over 1.38 million acres have been washed away and 1.2 million homes destroyed.

The damage to infrastructure, livestock and crops amounts to Rs350-500 billion

About $200 million will be needed for recovery and relief work and over $1 billion to repair key infrastructure.

Reconstruction of about 1,000 damaged bridges and over 400km roads will cost Rs8-9 billion.

About one-fifth of the irrigation infrastructure, livestock and crops in the country has been destroyed. According to initial estimates, the Pakistan Electric Power Company has suffered a loss of Rs4 billion to its installations. The cumulative losses of the Water and Power Development Authority and Pepco exceed Rs13 billion.

About Rs2 billion has been collected in the PM’s Relief Fund and $953.7 million has been pledged by donors, of which $142.47 million has been received.

BANKNOTES: The cabinet also approved replacement of Rs5 banknotes with coins and demonetisation of the Rs500 note of old design.

It decided to renegotiate and agreement with Australia on promotion and protection of investments.

The cabinet approved a bill for setting up the Shifa Tameer-i-Millat University in Islamabad.

APP adds: The prime minister said the job and income losses as a result of the floods might have serious social implications.

He said 30 per cent agricultural land and more than 10pc of the population had been affected.

He said the floods had caused the largest number of displaced people since the country’s independence and affected more people than all recent major disasters throughout the world.

He said the agriculture sector might face the adverse effect for another year.

Food security of the country was also under threat, he said.

Pakistan has the potential of being like Germany, we have gold, copper, coal, gas, uranium ETC.....
I wish we had a laeder who would exploit these resources.

USA should send 10 bln dollar extra for this flood and the economy will get back to track

Pakistan has the potential of being like Germany, we have gold, copper, coal, gas, uranium ETC.....

Ohh shiiitt...
You guys should shoot for Thailand and Malaysia first...
Germany!!!! :D

Tired of listening to this kind of stuffs from too many Pakistanis.

OOhh man stop it .

To become Germany you need many other things in place except minerals.

Leaders should get those things first in place.

To be its not resources, it mentality that need to be changed. Like China, even though may have not huge resources like Russia but they still be called most powerful economy in 2050.

Back
Top Bottom