HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Flour price hits record high of Rs2500 per 20kg in Karachi

Tahir Sherani Published December 24, 2022 Updated about 11 hours ago

LISTEN TO ARTICLE1x1.2x1.5x
Flour prices in Karachi have scaled a new peak of Rs2500 per 20-kilogramme bag against last week’s Rs2,400, data from the Pakistan Bureau of Statistics (PBS) showed on Saturday.
This is the first time in the history of Pakistan that flour prices have surged to Rs2500.

According to the Sensitive Price Index for the week ended Dec 22, 1kg of flour in Karachi now costs Rs125, which is almost 100 per cent more than the price of the commodity in Islamabad and Punjab.
The data shows that in the last week, Karachi, Hyderabad and Quetta have witnessed a surge of Rs100 in the price of a 20kg bag of flour, increasing the rates to Rs2,500, Rs2,420 and Rs2,320 respectively.

In Bannu, Peshawar, Larkana and Sukkur, the prices increased by Rs40, Rs70, Rs50 and Rs40 respectively.
Meanwhile, the price of a 20kg bag of flour in Islamabad and Punjab has been recorded at Rs1,295.

What is the monthly income, say, of a high school teacher? To get a perspective on the purchasing power.

20 thousand to 30 thousand on average ...
Thank you. So, a bag of flour (if used in a month) is 10% of income. That is pretty steep. Food alone may cost more than 30% of income. What are the rents like?

In this case, the price of 20 kg of top quality flour is Rs2750 in Turkiye. On the other hand, the salary of a senior high school teacher is the equivalent of Rs150000.

Food prices in Pakistan are extremely high compared to salaries.

Last edited:
Thank you. So, a bag of flour (if used in a month) is 10% of income. That is pretty steep. Food alone may cost more than 30% of income. What are the rents like?
Decent 20 thousand ...

Decent 20 thousand ...
That is a real squeeze. The salary can barely pay for food and rent. Since food and rent are not heavily controlled by cost of imported inputs (like, for example fuel or medicines), I wonder what describes such high costs. May be imported fertilizer and pesticides? I think it may also be the public sector steering more resources to military than civilians. They should knock off the generals and pay teachers more.

its ok, at least the public has its beloved leaders in power. If they are in pain, I am not seeing any bipartisan protests or news anchors/hosts roasting the government. These losers have no idea what is yet to come.

Meanwhile, the price of a 20kg bag of flour in Islamabad and Punjab has been recorded at Rs1,295.

So price in Karachi is double than Punjab... Amazing..

What could be the reason ? Logistics alone can not cost this much...

Last edited:

Price of 15 kg bag of flour is 1700 as i bought yesterday in gujranwala.
Even government supported price of green bag flour is 1495 i think.
Where you are getting the price of 1295 for 20kg?

Price of 15 kg bag of flour is 1700 as i bought yesterday in gujranwala.
Even government supported price of green bag flour is 1495 i think.
Where you are getting the price of 1295 for 20kg?
It's in the article itself. Last lines.

The treachery of Mir Jaffer's successors of the sepoy army. A fully empowered city of Karachi performing at its full potential is the only existential threat to punjabi dominated mil-establishment's hegemony.

Lumber 1 and army is the root of all evil in Pakistan, they have achieved what they enemy couldn't dream of doing.

@Mugen: Change your ID image. Replace image of Mir Bajwa with Mir Hafiz. Mir Bajwa is now merely a dead swine.

Back
Top Bottom