What's new

For India, even a trip to Mars won't break the bank

That politician was educated, I think.
Moreover, the politicians recently from UP, Karnataka, and one other state, went for a so called "study trip" to foreign countries to see how they implement such such things.
Wonder these babus are implementing or learning anything from experience learned.?
I bet they will teach foreign politicians on corruption.!
Scientist should be allowed to travel outside freely.
Please give some links :D

Frugal engineering is one area where India can excel and can become the world leader. We may not have good manufacturing base for producing low end goods in mass, but have excellent base for producing high end engineering. Moreover, we have some of the best mind in the world at fraction of the price available elsewhere.

Every foreign trip by scientists working in the likes of DRDO and ISRO requires prior clearance from their respective higher-ups, and the purpose of the trip, it's location and duration has to be explicitly given in writing.(I guess some details might even be subject to verification later)

I meant, with respect to conferences, technical meets. Not study tour or something like that.

Please give some links :D

20 day trip, just 5 EU countries :D

Azam Khan hits back at Opposition over foreign tour issue

I meant, with respect to conferences, technical meets. Not study tour or something like that.

20 day trip, just 5 EU countries :D

Azam Khan hits back at Opposition over foreign tour issue

It's applicable for EVERY foreign trip, official or otherwise(Even more so for official ones:)). I too just wanted to highlight that the ones who really work hard and slog for the Nation are never above suspicion, while those who're obliged to do nothing more than sign their names on heaps of Official Papers are accorded much more privileges.:tsk:

Given how our nuclear scientists are being killed, I would be wary of sending our scientists abroad.

There would be threats everywhere. The onus is on IB and RAW to prevent such conditions even in foreign nations.

There would be threats everywhere. The onus is on IB and RAW to prevent such conditions even in foreign nations.

Doubt IB and RAW are up to task against a determined enemy. They cannot protect the scientists when in India itself. Were caught sleeping when people were being given T visas and flown out of the country. Far too much of incompetency.

But what surprises me are the underpaid scientists

1000$ is I think good entry level pay. I.e roughly Rs.60,000/- + free housing+ free medical expenses for family and other offers that I do not know. Well, it is a Govt. organization and its pay is fixed WRT any PSUs. You are surprise because you live in UAE.
But here, to day I got shaved and had a haircut for Rs.40/-. So.....

May be sometimes in future if the Govt. approves Pvt. player into space business, may be we will see attrition and high pay offer!!

1000$ is I think good entry level pay. I.e roughly Rs.60,000/- + free housing+ free medical expenses for family and other offers that I do not know. Well, it is a Govt. organization and its pay is fixed WRT any PSUs. You are surprise because you live in UAE.
But here, to day I got shaved and had a haircut for Rs.40/-. So.....

May be sometimes in future if the Govt. approves Pvt. player into space business, may be we will see attrition and high pay offer!!

You are getting personal here...it has nothing to do with me living in UAE.
I made it very clear that the salary was less compared to their counter parts sitting in other countries.
May be Rs 60000/- sounds good,but a starting salary of close to Rs 2-3 lakhs a month wont sound as bad when offered in foreign country.

Entry-level Indian space engineers make about $1,000 a month, less than one-third of what their Western counterparts make.

So we should not be surprised if our scientists leave ISRO and join NASA if offered a job there.
From what I glean even APJ Abdul Kalam wrote about it in his book "wings of fire".He did express disappointment at how Indian scientists were lured with offers from foreign countries.

You are getting personal here...it has nothing to do with me living in UAE.
I made it very clear that the salary was less compared to their counter parts sitting in other countries.
May be Rs 60000/- sounds good,but a starting salary of close to Rs 2-3 lakhs a month wont sound as bad when offered in foreign country.

No No nothing personal here. See, this is also a PSU. They cannot fix their own salary, unlike pvt. companies. Govt. has some price indexes and pay scale commission through which they decide the salaries.

Basically one cannot compare Indian (ISRO) salary with US (NASA) salary while remaining in India and enjoying Indian priced services. What the scientist said was wrong!!

No No nothing personal here. See, this is also a PSU. They cannot fix their own salary, unlike pvt. companies. Govt. has some price indexes and pay scale commission through which they decide the salaries.

Basically one cannot compare Indian (ISRO) salary with US (NASA) salary while remaining in India and enjoying Indian priced services. What the scientist said was wrong!!

I am quoting something that I read on another site

Low price tag obtained at the cost of scientists?

So should we be proud about the low price tag? How much of this reduction in price has come from producing technology at lower cost using innovative methods and how much has come from underpaying human resources. Well the fact is that we have grossly underpaid our human resources to cut costs. The following table gives the salaries that ISRO scientists are paid (after the pay revision in the Sixth Pay Commission) and compares them to the salaries in the Information Technology sector in India.

Scientist B..... 0-4 years ....15,600-39,100+(5,400) .......... IT sector- Rs.30,000

Scientist C.....4-9 years.....15,600-39,100 +(6,600)............... IT sector Rs.58,000
Scientist D.......9-14 years..................15,600-39,100+(7,600).................IT sector Rs.100,000
Scientist E.....14-18 years....................39,200-67,000+(8,700)........IT sector Rs.142,000
Scientist F.....19-24 years.........39,200-67,000+(8,900).........ITsector Rs.183,000
Scientist G.......24 years...........39,200-67,000+(10,000)......IT sector Rs.225,000
Scientist H........24 years..........39,200-67,000+(12,000)..........IT sector Rs.225,000

(^These are the basic salary ranges for the given grade. The figures in the brackets are the grade pay. To get the gross salary add the grade pay and 30% HRA + 16% DA of the basic to current basic salary. DA is linked to the inflation and typically rises about 3% every four months and today stands at 16%. For example, a scientist B on joining would get 15,600 + 5,400 + (0.3+0.16) x 15,600 = 28, 176)
(*IT sector salary has been computed using the formula: annual salary after n years = Rs (3 + n x 1) lakhs, while not exact this formula gives a reasonably accurate lower bound. Most scientists have higher degrees like MTech and PhD, in which case the multiplicative factor can range between 1.1 to 1.5. Remember this is a lower bound for salaries in this sector. If you are aware of a better formula do let me know)

Now take a look at the following table to see how much Boeing and NASA are paying their scientists.

Organization and PostAverage Annual Salary
ISRO Scientist....$12,000
NASA Scientist........$88,000
Boeing Scientist..........$89,000

Should we feel great about the low price tag of Rs 386 crores for the Chandrayaan? Hardly.

I dream of being a space scientist but will actually become an accountant

While it is not necessary that our scientists should be paid salaries that equal those of NASA scientists, we must at least keep in view the Indian market conditions. We must at least provide our scientists a decent standard of living. They shouldn't have to think how they will pay for the education of their children.

In a recent visit to a school when Dr. Abdul Kalam asked the students how many of them wanted to be engineers a few hands went up. When he asked how many wanted to to be doctors a few more hands went up. Finally when he asked how many wanted to be involved in the Mars mission, all hands went up. But the fact remains that very few young graduates are taking up a career with ISRO. When you are a ten year old you can afford to follow your dream. By the time you are ready to leave school reality sets in. More eighteen year olds in India prefer to be accountants than to be space scientists. ISRO hardly gets applications for its scientist posts. For graduating students from top institutes like IISc or IITs, the top career choice is an MNC and not ISRO
World through Coloured Glasses: India's Moon Mission: Lets Not Feel Proud About the Low Price Tag

Last edited:
ISRO Scientist$12,000
NASA Scientist$88,000

Boeing Scientist$89,000

Indian Economy = 1/8 of American Economy.

So we are paying pretty much what our economy can afford to.

But yes, they deserve much much more.

Indian Economy = 1/8 of American Economy.

So we are paying pretty much what our economy can afford to.

But yes, they deserve much much more.

Did you read this

While it is not necessary that our scientists should be paid salaries that equal those of NASA scientists, we must at least keep in view the Indian market conditions. We must at least provide our scientists a decent standard of living.

yes they deserve much more.

Last edited:
Doubt IB and RAW are up to task against a determined enemy. They cannot protect the scientists when in India itself. Were caught sleeping when people were being given T visas and flown out of the country. Far too much of incompetency.

You do not tell this on a Pakistani forum :P According to them we are the best in what we do ;) Even destabilizing many countries around us ;)

I am quoting something that I read on another site

Low price tag obtained at the cost of scientists?

So should we be proud about the low price tag? How much of this reduction in price has come from producing technology at lower cost using innovative methods and how much has come from underpaying human resources. Well the fact is that we have grossly underpaid our human resources to cut costs. The following table gives the salaries that ISRO scientists are paid (after the pay revision in the Sixth Pay Commission) and compares them to the salaries in the Information Technology sector in India.

Scientist B..... 0-4 years ....15,600-39,100+(5,400) .......... IT sector- Rs.30,000

Scientist C.....4-9 years.....15,600-39,100 +(6,600)............... IT sector Rs.58,000
Scientist D.......9-14 years..................15,600-39,100+(7,600).................IT sector Rs.100,000
Scientist E.....14-18 years....................39,200-67,000+(8,700)........IT sector Rs.142,000
Scientist F.....19-24 years.........39,200-67,000+(8,900).........ITsector Rs.183,000
Scientist G.......24 years...........39,200-67,000+(10,000)......IT sector Rs.225,000
Scientist H........24 years..........39,200-67,000+(12,000)..........IT sector Rs.225,000

(^These are the basic salary ranges for the given grade. The figures in the brackets are the grade pay. To get the gross salary add the grade pay and 30% HRA + 16% DA of the basic to current basic salary. DA is linked to the inflation and typically rises about 3% every four months and today stands at 16%. For example, a scientist B on joining would get 15,600 + 5,400 + (0.3+0.16) x 15,600 = 28, 176)
(*IT sector salary has been computed using the formula: annual salary after n years = Rs (3 + n x 1) lakhs, while not exact this formula gives a reasonably accurate lower bound. Most scientists have higher degrees like MTech and PhD, in which case the multiplicative factor can range between 1.1 to 1.5. Remember this is a lower bound for salaries in this sector. If you are aware of a better formula do let me know)

Now take a look at the following table to see how much Boeing and NASA are paying their scientists.

ISRO Scientist....$12,000
NASA Scientist........$88,000
Boeing Scientist..........$89,000

Should we feel great about the low price tag of Rs 386 crores for the Chandrayaan? Hardly.

I dream of being a space scientist but will actually become an accountant

While it is not necessary that our scientists should be paid salaries that equal those of NASA scientists, we must at least keep in view the Indian market conditions. We must at least provide our scientists a decent standard of living. They shouldn't have to think how they will pay for the education of their children.

In a recent visit to a school when Dr. Abdul Kalam asked the students how many of them wanted to be engineers a few hands went up. When he asked how many wanted to to be doctors a few more hands went up. Finally when he asked how many wanted to be involved in the Mars mission, all hands went up. But the fact remains that very few young graduates are taking up a career with ISRO. When you are a ten year old you can afford to follow your dream. By the time you are ready to leave school reality sets in. More eighteen year olds in India prefer to be accountants than to be space scientists. ISRO hardly gets applications for its scientist posts. For graduating students from top institutes like IISc or IITs, the top career choice is an MNC and not ISRO
World through Coloured Glasses: India's Moon Mission: Lets Not Feel Proud About the Low Price Tag

The salary is low. No questions. But they are also entilted to a slew of benefits not seen anywhere.
I mean free Quarters with transport, subsidized electronic and automotive items, healthcare costs are covered. We need to give them more. But do not compare them to IT industry.

Back
Top Bottom