What's new

For those planning on Moving to Pakistan

Another major reason why people don’t go back is because of family. When you live abroad and your kids are born there, they don’t want to have anything to do with Pakistan any more. Most of the time wives also don’t want to go back. Only old men go back.

Watch this BBC documentary about old men returning to Pakistan alone and building large homes. When they die their kids come back, sell the house and go back.

It’s a fallacy to imagine that if there’s a good government all the overseas Pakistanis will return. Maybe from the Middle East where they don’t have nationality, but not from the West.

I think I seen this year ago, this situation arises when you already gave birth to second generation and they are grown up. I am talking about those who immigrated from Pakistan hoping to return back in year or so than life happens.

These people build houses from their 9-5 job abroad. Let suppose they had the opportunity of building house with passive income while living in with family, even as a vacation home few months every year, than these kids would have memories and friends in the area. Now their kids have no reason to return.

I think I seen this year ago, this situation arises when you already gave birth to second generation and they are grown up. I am talking about those who immigrated from Pakistan hoping to return back in year or so than life happens.

I get what you mean. My brothers and I were 100% sure that we’ll go back after our studies, but that was over 40 years ago. First it’s education, then it’s a job, then a business, then a wife and kids.

The right time for going back never comes, especially when Pakistan never comes out of turmoil.

I get what you mean. My brothers and I were 100% sure that we’ll go back after our studies, but that was over 40 years ago. First it’s education, then it’s a job, then a business, then a wife and kids.

The right time for going back never comes, especially when Pakistan never comes out of turmoil.
Also, another issue is financial freedom. Flying back with family of 4 or 5 every years and maintain a vacation house and a vehicle isn’t doable for many, aside from their job-school commitments.

Also, another issue is financial freedom. Flying back with family of 4 or 5 every years and maintain a vacation house and a vehicle isn’t doable for many, aside from their job-school commitments.

Just to go back with a family of that size you’re looking at spending between 10K-15K; including tickets, clothing, and gifts. I have known many who don’t go back for 8-10 years at a time.

I have trawled through this forum and have ironically not found any posts or articles properly advising for the situation in which someone from a foreign country wishes to move to Pakistan.

If people could post advice in relations to moving to Pakistan, it would be very helpful.
This can include:
Different taxes that homeowners need to pay (Electricity, water, fuel, internet etc)
Weekly food cost on average for different family sizes (couple with two children, singleton, couple with 5 children etc)
Social and societal norms
Home security
Land ownership
Banking and recommended Banking systems.

Warning: I wish for this to remain as a civil and serious discussion.
We are aware of the Political scene, please do not bring politics into this.
Please do not say things like "don't move to Pakistan". People who are considering moving have already taken into account the situation on the ground, but need the extra information to live their lives adequately.
Good thread, but first and foremost the question here is;

1. Are you coming back with significant means to support yourself - perhaps enter agriculture or commerce?

2. Are you seeking gainful employment?

If it is the latter, I would strongly recommend you do comprehensive research prior to committing. Perhaps do a dry run and come and stay for a month or so, rent is expensive so ideally you want to purchase your own property- if you purchase a large property and have a small family, you can rent out a portion of your home to a professional family for extra cash.

If you have significant means, there is no better place to live than Pakistan. Trust me on that.

If you have a passive and constant income source from abroad. Then be welcome here. Islamabad is your best bet if you dont have reletives in other cities. Obviously you are asking this question online so your local family and friends options are limited.
CDA is an angel compared to other municipalities.
Dont push your luck trying to start a small business in Pakistan and living from local income to be honest. Get a house in a ICT housing society and enjoy peacefull life good weather.

For anyone else to move back would be a mistake. A grave mistake, whose price will be paid by the children moving back, by robbing them of a future.
Children are screwed anyway, raising them in US mean kids will have low self-esteem, American Born Confused Desi (ABCD). Always trying to fit in, which will F’up his overall personality. Raising them in Pakistan means lack of opportunities but he will know da faq he is all about and won’t get easily bullied when back in US.

Best bet is solid connection with home country, yearly vacation or few years in home country with solid grasp of family and relationships and when it’s time for higher studies and job; back to US.

I have both types (cousin from different Aunt/Uncles ) in my family and I can observe the difference.

Last edited:
One would imagine this is a good time to invest in some real estate there. In a safe and modern development like some of the DHA ones which look quite good in pics. Just park some spare money there and don't rent it out if that is a risk like some people here are saying, or maybe only to trusted friends and family to get a stream of passive income going, and sell when there is a significant appreciation in prices from where you bought at. This way overseas well to do Pk people can also help the economy back in your home country.

Scenario: You are married and have 2 kids.

You would need probably around 500k rs per month to live a lifestyle you’ve lived abroad.

If you have an amount to invest, you’re better investing in condo units in Dubai and earn a rental income to live in AJK. Keep compounding until you have 3-4 units and you’re set.

Pakistan’s real estate is a bit of a gamble now. With the political situation and devaluation every 2-3 years you’re losing money in $ terms.

You would need probably around 500k rs per month to live a lifestyle you’ve lived abroad.

If you have an amount to invest, you’re better investing in condo units in Dubai and earn a rental income to live in AJK. Keep compounding until you have 3-4 units and you’re set.

Pakistan’s real estate is a bit of a gamble now. With the political situation and devaluation every 2-3 years you’re losing money in $ terms.
I was thinking maybe 200k to 300k per month would be good amount to live on

That was true a year or two ago.

1 usd = 280 rs

That was true a year ago.

1 usd = 280 rs

You are better off having a passive income abroad and living in Pakistan.

Ofcourse always have a Plan B ie citizenship of another country, a business abroad (active or passive).

If you moving alone its your right

If you moving with family and kids you are doing a crime against them .you have no right to drag them in hell

You're not far off with that figure. I was there in the summer and stuff was very expensive.

If you drive a motorbike, send your kids to state school, don't run AC, live off daal sabzi, yes it's a lot cheaper, but if you want two cars in the house, devices being charged all the time, AC/Heating, eating out, ordering in, going to visit places, private schools - it's all expensive.

Most here actually dont live in Pakistan. I live in Pakistan and am telling u that only a dumb idiot would move to Pakistan. The only ppl that can vome here maybe the ones that are rich and have incomes from properties and businesses abroad and have a foreign passport handy, so just in case can buy a ticket and go. If u r this rich and have foreign nationality, i would still recommend NOT to move to Pakistan with family. Why? Because here ud have to put ur kids in school, there is no safety, u or ur kids could be abducted for ransom. Heck you could be killed by a moron in a road rage or due to moronic driving by those transport drivers. You can be abducted by the state for expressing ur views too loudly. If you r rich, u certainly will be monitored and followed by our lumber 1 mafia, not for ur peotection but for their own purposes. Heck the lumber 1 might hand u over to abductors and claim their commission. Every deppt, every office, hospital etc ud havt to pay rishwat to get through, id have to deal with each n every type of corrupt. You cant even trust ur household workers and chowkidars, they might sell u off to an abductor and get a cut. In the end a mullah is always there to declare u kafir or gustakh and u may not be able to take the land that u pay for.
So only a delusional dumb idiot with no grasp on reality will move to Pakistan.

If you moving alone its your right

If you moving with family and kids you are doing a crime against them .you have no right to drag them in hell
What if family wants to move back and you don’t? 😆😛

Btw, I heard that waiting time for visa in some embassies is relatively longer than usual. Someone i know wanted to come to eu on visit and est time is 3-4 months. Previously he used to get that within a month max

Back
Top Bottom