What's new

France starts ban on full-face veil

It is only a matter of time the legality of this French ban will be taken to the European Court, if that is the case. @Talon

Multiple countries are looking at banning burqa or are in the process of banning it - so how effective will this case against France be in the EU?

BBC News - Belgian ban on full veils comes into force
Italy edges closer to 'burqa ban' law - Europe - Al Jazeera English
Netherlands to ban the burka - Telegraph
BBC News - Germany's first burka ban imposed by state of Hesse

Last edited by a moderator:
@Contrarian so the Muslims are not a people of France and hence their right should be ignored?

They are Talon. But what is Democracy?
Rule and wishes of the majority.
Look at this issue objectively and not from religious lenses. IF this is what the majority of the people of France want, this is what they should get.

@Argus Panoptes I doubt it...France is the least liked when it comes to laws....My previous boss was French....nice up tight lady...But I was surprised she told me that in France it is actually a law to be responsible for their own parents....something other Europeans do not apply......................

@Talon, What is stopping any French national Muslim from approaching the EC for declaring the ban an infringement of the enshrined freedom to practice their religion?

@Vinod2070 yes, that is what i mean... the words dont mean anything...the meanings are not consistent but dynamic....hence, for France.....it is just annoyed why more Muslims are covering up...

Don't you think "covering up" is just a symbol? The issue is something bigger?

what is the local culture? Define that....Anyway, it is in EU legislation that one has the freedom to practice religion and no one can stop them....that is secularism in a democratic country...When I entered EU, I was given a 5 hrs lecture on my rights and how if abused i can file a complaint...Wont be easy but it is possible...

And the countries have the right to protect their culture. In a way that they see fit?

You would be surprised at the numbers...otherwise 300 in a country like France should not get the agenda to National level....

That is the number I read in many reports.

Somehow there seems to be a logical defect in arguments of every participating party.

@illusion8 ahh...you see, Germany is also the same country to have established Islamic studies center....Italy and Netherlands are just talking crap...I can tell this 1st hand ....

Anyway, you can put as many articles as you want, but I am not one who plays my cards on assumption....IF they put forward any more crazy thoughts, their economy which is already shaking HEAVILY will pay a HIGHER price! ;)

Like I said I am not against ban of face veil...I am against HYPOCRISY and Double standards or 2 faced laws!!

Where people overseas cry when something happens in Asia but do the same thing in FREE EUROPE under a different name...

They are Talon. But what is Democracy?
Rule and wishes of the majority.
Look at this issue objectively and not from religious lenses. IF this is what the majority of the people of France want, this is what they should get.
@Contrarian then according to you Iran and Saudi are ALREADY worlds BIGGEST democrats

@Slav Defence A secular state is not supposed to interfere in religious matters of the people so why is france interfering..

no--they are lying,they hide their extremism--they are still crusader mentality people who hates Islam,and they sugarcoat their dictatorship laws in the name of secularism!

I live in Europe, I go to work covered no one has any problem with it......My sis lives in UK, she teaches in a govt collage and goes to work covered....no one has a prob with it....My cousin in law lives in USA she goes to work covered, no one has a prob with that...

I am not sure where these problematic people come in....

@illusion8 then you should swallow Pakistani and KSA rules too...their country their rules...But the way you debate about them....shows you do not swallow that...Yet when it comes to the West it is their country their rules?

sorry @Pboy i needed to mention you in 1 of the posts as I do not know much about the cases in Norway....

I agree.

Their country, their rules.

We may not agree with them, but in the end if you`re gonna support one country then dont be a hypocrite and bash the other one.

RSA, Pakistan, India,

Their country their rules.

France, US,

Their country, their rules.

Its the same.

Though we can debate and discuss the laws on whether they`re fair or not.

@illusion8 ahh...you see, Germany is also the same country to have established Islamic studies center....Italy and Netherlands are just talking crap...I can tell this 1st hand ....

Anyway, you can put as many articles as you want, but I am not one who plays my cards on assumption....IF they put forward any more crazy thoughts, their economy which is already shaking HEAVILY will pay a HIGHER price! ;)

Like I said I am not against ban of face veil...I am against HYPOCRISY and Double standards or 2 faced laws!!

Where people overseas cry when something happens in Asia but do the same thing in FREE EUROPE under a different name...

I don't see how anything you said corresponds to the laws that these countries are passing or have passed, my question to Argus was how effective would opposing this French law in EU court be? when many European countries are in the process of banning it or are thinking on those lines.

Seven in 10 back burka ban - Politics News - Austrian Independent Online News - English Newspaper

Don't you think "covering up" is just a symbol? The issue is something bigger?
And the countries have the right to protect their culture. In a way that they see fit?

That is the number I read in many reports.
@Vinod2070 Athaan is banned, we said fine, praying in the open is banned we said fine, now they want to go a step further...All I am saying is this should stop...Under the freedom hood they are banning EVERYTHING....

Either they openly accept they are intolerant people incapable of giving equal rights or they give equal rights....there is no half way...

what culture? :what:

@Contrarian then according to you Iran and Saudi are ALREADY worlds BIGGEST democrats

Saudi Arabia is a dictatorship/monarchy. It is certainly not a democracy.

Iran is a controlled democracy. So the actions of their government have some legitimacy. Whether we agree with those actions or not is onto us. They on their part are not wrong in any domestic legislation as long as it does not violate a previous commitment/treaty.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom