What's new

France to sell Egypt 30 fighter jets in $4.5 bln deal -report

Apparently, no Scalp and no Meteor with this order.

https://www.latribune.fr/entreprise...dassault-aviation-bisse-en-egypte-883895.html

Pay to read but the article is written by a reputed French journalist and states that the 200 million € for weapons are for Mica NG and AASM.Still no Meteor or even more Scalps.There will be no industrial offsets either.
Not true actually. As per the attached tweet from MBDA, the developer of Meteor missiles, they are involved in this transaction. They could be providing other missiles and not necessary Meteor missiles, but we really don’t know yet.
Also, there is this. Unfortunately I don’t have access to the report.

Attachments

• 67A730A9-3A8C-4648-85E0-E2AFA5556FE2.jpeg
    67A730A9-3A8C-4648-85E0-E2AFA5556FE2.jpeg
    804.6 KB · Views: 27
How are you able to see the rest of the article then? Have you paid you may want to share it with us over hear?
No, I haven’t. He mentioned above that you have to pay to view the article.
Assuming the article does say that, I believe they made a mistake. See my earlier post (post #92).

No, I haven’t. He mentioned above that you have to pay to view the article.
Assuming the article does say that, I believe they made a mistake. See my earlier post (post #92).

Oh there is see it right now? I am still not convinced thou. They may not deliver them at the time of delivery but at a later time thou. The article says for the time being!

Oh there is see it right now? I am still not convinced thou. They may not deliver them at the time of delivery but at a later time thou. The article says for the time being!
Honestly, it’s ridiculous that Egypt hasn’t received beyond-visual-range air-to-air missiles (BVRAAM) for its F-16’s when every single Middle Eastern country, with the exception of Iraq, has received them.
It would be even more ridiculous if Egypt doesn’t receive them for its Rafale fighters. Why even go this route then, if that’s the case?

Why is egypt buying these latest war planes etc? Who is their enemy? The old enemy to the east of them will always be 100 steps ahead of them in technology, and will turn Egypt into barren land with the unlimited support of US, in case a sadam type despot takes over and starts something with Israel. The present tyrant of Egypt is too smart for this trap.

Why is egypt buying these latest war planes etc? Who is their enemy? The old enemy to the east of them will always be 100 steps ahead of them in technology, and will turn Egypt into barren land with the unlimited support of US, in case a sadam type despot takes over and starts something with Israel. The present tyrant of Egypt is too smart for this trap.
We have a peace treaty with Israel that has lasted over 40 years. Not everything in Egypt revolves around them.
Saying that, Egypt strategic goal is to have a strong military. We are located in a tough region and you never know what will happen the next day. Also, Egypt’s economy is anticipated to be at least one of the top 20 economy in the world in 2030. You need a strong military to protect your country and interests.

Honestly, it’s ridiculous that Egypt hasn’t received beyond-visual-range air-to-air missiles (BVRAAM) for its F-16’s when every single Middle Eastern country, with the exception of Iraq, has received them.
It would be even more ridiculous if Egypt doesn’t receive them for its Rafale fighters. Why even go this route then, if that’s the case?

I do believe that there is a huge chance it could happen with the way Egypt is putting its pressure in the United States by its stategy of arms diversity thorugh buying Rafale with MICA and Meteor and Su-35 with R-77s. That would obvious have an effect on them over the long run.

I do believe that there is a huge chance it could happen with the way Egypt is putting its pressure in the United States by its stategy of arms diversity thorugh buying Rafale with MICA and Meteor and Su-35 with R-77s. That would obvious have an effect on them over the long run.
Very true! That’s why I was looking for confirmation that Egypt acquired or is acquiring Meteor with its Rafale’s. We shouldn’t repeat the same mistake and we shouldn’t just assume that France will be releasing them at certain point. The US hasn’t. I am really curious to know because I want to see if Egypt has learned anything from the past 40 years or not.

Very true! That’s why I was looking for confirmation that Egypt acquired or is acquiring Meteor with its Rafale’s. We shouldn’t repeat the same mistake and we shouldn’t just assume that France will be releasing them at certain point. The US hasn’t. I am really curious to know because I want to see if Egypt has learned anything from the past 40 years or not.

Agreed! The french as well not refused to sell us the scalp or the meteor, and we have in fact received scalp missile in the past. Frances polices differ a lot to that if the United States as well. They must have abviously figured a solution to ITAR problem to the sclap and meteor if the french are serious with maintaining a good relationship with there customers. What making me staggering as well is the low price of the sale! How did they manage to sell 30 planes for just 3.75 billion euros for a plane that costs 150 million euros each!!!!????. 200 million just also sounds so little for armaments, when considering meteor and scalp included too.

@The SC @HD Seeker-5000 @Gomig-21
So, as per this tactical report source, Egypt will indeed receive Meteor missiles. Does anybody know how credible this source is? If true, great, great, great news! I found the full article online.

“Egypt, France, and Rafale deal
Egypt and France have signed a contract for the procurement of 30 more Rafale fighter jets from Dassault Aviation in favor of the Egyptian Air Force (EAF) (*).
Reports from Cairo suggest that the Rafale deal went through multiple stages of negotiations, and that the Egyptian side insisted on the delivery of MBDA’s Meteor beyond-visual-range air-to-air missiles (BVRAAM) with the Rafale fighters (**).
The United States and Israel had objected to the delivery of Meteor missiles to the EAF, to preserve Israel’s qualitative military edge (QME).
The US side was actually more concerned with Egypt’s intended use for these missiles. In fact, the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) played an important role in delaying the Rafale deal, as it was convinced that Egypt will be up to “no good” after receiving such missiles.
Nevertheless, the deal went through, and the 30 Rafale fighters will be delivered with Meteor missiles.
Egypt received a discount on the 30 Rafales, which was crucial in persuading the Egyptian government to acquire more of these fighters.
France has also agreed to refurbish, maintain and upgrade the EAF’s Rafale fleet.
The 24 old Rafale fighters will receive software upgrades as well as further enhancements to ward off electronic warfare (EW).
Egypt also signed a memorandum of cooperation (MoC) with Dassault Aviation that includes the establishment of a maintenance and training unit in Egypt, which will be in charge of training EAF engineers on maintaining and repairing Rafale fighters.
The unit will also help integrate the Rafale fighter command software into the Egyptian air command. Egypt is planning on integrating various fighter systems in one unified command software, since the EAF possesses various types of fighter jets with different and incompatible internal softwares.
Egypt is rumored to be developing its own integration software for its various fighters. This software will be unveiled during the opening of the Octagon, the new headquarters of Egypt’s Ministry of Defense.
(*) See: Egypt, France and talks of possible Rafale deal
(**) See: Egypt Air Force, interest in Meteor missiles
Warning! This material is for personal use only. No publishing or reproduction is allowed.
Visit Tactical Report or send us an email to info@tacticalreport.com
©Tactical Report – All Rights Reserved”

Last edited:
How are you able to see the rest of the article then? Have you paid you may want to share it with us over hear?

Dassault Aviation et ses fournisseurs, pour la loi de programmation militaire (LPM), et, enfin, pour la France, qui revient en cour en Égypte après une période de froid depuis la visite d’Emmanuel Macron en Égypte en janvier 2019, porte sur la vente de 30 Rafale (18 monoplaces et 12 biplaces) armés par des missiles air-air MICA NG et des bombes AASM. Elle prend la forme d’un avenant au contrat de 2015. In fine, à l’image de 2015, les négociations ont été à nouveau très rapides (entre quatre et cinq mois).

En revanche, ces nouveaux Rafale ne seront pas équipés comme les 24 premiers appareils vendus en 2015 par les missiles de croisière Scalp et air-air Meteor, qui semblent donc toujours interdits de vente vers Le Caire par les Etats-Unis via la réglementation ITAR en raison de composants américains dans ces missiles. L’ombre d’Israël plane bien sûr sur cette interdiction. Enfin, il n’y a pas de compensation industrielle dans le cadre de cette commande. „Il n’y a pas d’offset en Égypte”, a confirmé le cabinet de la ministre.”

It's from the article.

Back
Top Bottom