What's new

Gaza rockets penetrate Israeli defense system due to Iron Dome malfunction

Has Israel?s Iron Dome Missile System Prevented War In The Middle East? - International Business Times

The recent flare-up in violence between Israel and Palestinian militants in Gaza is just one of a seemingly endless number of skirmishes between the two long-time enemies.

Since last Friday, over 200 rockets have been launched from the occupied territory into southern Israel, prompting retaliatory airstrikes that have killed around 26 suspected militants and at least two civilians, according to Egyptian mediators.

As the exchange escalated, reports began to circulate that Israel may mobilize its army and invade Gaza as it did in 2008, sparking a bloody land battle that cost over two thousand lives.

But while this pattern of rocket fire and counter airstrike followed a familiar routine, a new weapon has quietly altered the Israeli response and may possibly change the future of all military exchanges between the two combatants.

The multi-billion dollar Iron Dome missile defense system managed to intercept a significant portion of short-range rockets fired into Israel -- on Monday alone they destroyed 23 of the 65 rockets fired from Gaza.

The last Israeli airstrike occurred on Monday, after which a small salvo of around six rockets was fired by Gaza militants into Israel.

No long-range rockets were fired and Israel did not respond, breaking the routine of mindless strike and counter-strike.

The system essentially bought the country's otherwise harried leaders time to assess the threat and decide on an appropriate response, without the distressing images of wounded and dead Israelis forcing them to launch head-long down the road to war.

In the southern Israeli city of Beersheba, according to the Wall Street Journal, Israelis were back to work, going about their daily lives only minutes after taking cover from incoming missiles.

"Without Iron Dome, the procedure would be to declare a state of emergency on the home front,'' said Doron Nachum, a military-affairs correspondent for the Israeli news website Nana10.

"Everything you see around you would stop. If, until now, 200 rockets have been fired, it would be impossible to continue with the daily routine,'' the WSJ reported him as saying.

The Iron Dome system, built by Israel's Rafael Advanced Defense Systems, has been deployed since March last year.

Currently, three experimental Iron Dome batteries are installed in the south around Ashkelon, Ashdod and the Negev desert capital of Beersheba, with a fourth due in the next few weeks.

There are also plans to install further batteries along the Lebanese border to the north, with experts saying 13 will be needed if Israel is to provide a nationwide umbrella of protection.

Critics however say the cost of the project is too high, with Israel spending billions of dollars on high-tech equipment to counteract far cheaper enemy rockets.

There are also concerns that the cost of Iron Dome could detract from other military systems, such as strike aircraft capable of repelling a theoretical Iranian attack.

This system could also have unintended consequences.

It could undermine any effort on Israel's part to seek a long-term solution to the Palestinian crisis, shielding ordinary Israelis from not only rocket attacks, but the privations suffered by the people on the other side of their borders.

It could also prompt militants to turn back to a wave of far deadlier suicide bombings as they become desperate to strike at a seemingly impervious enemy.

But whatever the long-term result, for now Iron Dome appears to be working.

And while critics balk at the expense - the cost of another war paid in Gazan blood and Israeli reputation makes Iron Dome cheap at double the price.

Both races are gona kill each other... its a shame hope peace comes about one day soon both are human beings.

no one is creating doubt on israel capabilities , everyone knows them :) but israel and indians are underestimating muslims capabilities ... which they will learn sooner or later...

thats the thing i donot like about u guys...bringing religion every where
Even countries like Turkey KSA go for their national interest(collaboration with US, Israel ) before considering secondary matters like Religion

I hope- soon there are missiles rather than rockets hitting the land grabbers of camel jockeys--

In this video you can clearly hear rockets hitting the ground- not exploding in the air-

Last edited by a moderator:
there is one other thing
look at how much the grad missile cost for hamas and the cost to intercipt the missiles for isreal they can do a very good thing fire a single rocket every half hour they wont hit anything with their missiles but
isreal will lose millions every day

I hope- soon there are missiles rather than rockets hitting the land grabbers of camel jockeys--

In this video you can clearly hear rockets hitting the ground- not exploding in the air-
I dont know what makes u an expert in rocket hits. There could be explosions outside city too.

I live 20 mins driving from Ashdod, I have friends and co workers there, so I can ensure u that only one rocket fell inside city.

3 rockets fell in Beer Sheva and 0 rockets in Ashkelon. These are 3 cities currently protected by Iron Dome.

there is one other thing
look at how much the grad missile cost for hamas and the cost to intercipt the missiles for isreal they can do a very good thing fire a single rocket every half hour they wont hit anything with their missiles but
isreal will lose millions every day
1) When you talk about cost you should consider the damage that rocket can cause, not the cost of the rocket. All interceptors which Israel fired costed couple millions, but one rocket can cause even bigger damage.
2) When we kill Palestinian terrorists we also use very expensive rockets, in order to reduce collateral damage.
3) Grad missile is not low cost either. It costs some 5 K to produce and much more to bring it to Gaza.
4) When Palestinians fire rockets we dont rely on defence alone. We fire back. During the recent encounter we killed over 20 terrorists.

In short, best result is achieved when u combine offence with defence.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know what makes u an expert in rocket hits. There could be explosions outside city too.

I live 20 mins driving from Ashdod, I have friends and co workers there, so I can ensure u that only one rocket fell inside city.

3 rockets fell in Beer Sheva and 0 rockets in Ashkelon. These are 3 cities currently protected by Iron Dome.

1) When you talk about cost you should consider the damage that rocket can cause, not the cost of the rocket. All interceptors which Israel fired costed couple millions, but one rocket can cause even bigger damage.
2) When we kill Palestinian terrorists we also use very expensive rockets, in order to reduce collateral damage.
3) Grad missile is not low cost either. It costs some 5 K to produce and much more to bring it to Gaza.
4) When Palestinians fire rockets we dont rely on defence alone. We fire back. During the recent encounter we killed over 20 terrorists.

In short, best result is achieved when u combine offence with defence.

can iron dome intercept a hand grenade thrown at it from a distance of 10 feet?

Iron Dome is not superhero. Besides, I think Iron Dome is only opearted to protect from big rockets that will cause destruction, not small grenades.

No. Iron Dome can intercept rockets with range from 4 to 70 km.

One battery is enough to protect 150 km^2 area. Here current protection:

post-1331646639.jpg

Yes lol at last admission that a nation of 1.4 billion needed help from a nation of 4 million. You are a sad timid lot. Irrelevant who you support as has been shown in Sri Lanka.

So you mean to say that only a a country can get help from a country which has higher population? That means India should neither get help from US or Russia?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom