Country
Canada
Gen Deepak Kapoor is new Indian Army chief

Jatin Gandhi, Hindustan Times
Email Author
New Delhi, September 30, 2007
First Published: 20:33 IST(30/9/2007)
Last Updated: 22:30 IST(30/9/2007)

The Indian Army has a new chief. Gen Deepak Kapoor took over the reins of the world's second largest fighting force on Sunday noon from Gen JJ Singh and declared that accelerating the modernisation of the force would be among his top priorities.

Gen Kapoor was vice-chief of the Army before taking over as the 23rd chief from Gen Singh and has also been the Northern Army Commander in the past. The outgoing Army chief handed over the baton to Gen Kapoor at the Defence Headquarters.

Earlier, speaking to reporters at the sidelines of the ceremony, Gen Singh defended the demand for a larger share of the higher ranks being created as suggested by the AV Singh Committee. Gen Singh had written to the Defence Minister seeking a greater share of the new general-rank posts for the Army. The letter had sparked off a tug of war between the three chiefs. "My letter was a genuine plea for a fair deal," he told reporters. Gen Singh said the three service chiefs were justified in putting across their points of view. According to the recommendations of the committee, 156 general-rank posts are to be created. These include 95 for the Army for Lieutenant Generals and Major Generals. The Air Force is to get a share of 38 equivalent posts and the Navy, 23.

Gen Singh said that his approach of using an iron fist for militants and a velvet glove for insurgency affected locals had fetched goods results. "We are a people's army and people have accepted the army as a guarantor of security and peace. Violence and casualties on our side in J and K and the North East have been contained to about one-thirds of what they were," Gen Singh added, referring to counter-insurgency operations during his time.

According to PTI, shortly after taking over Gen Kapoor said: "My top priority would be to step up the pace of modernization." As the dynamics of fighting battles changes the world over, there has been stress on modernising armies and replacing the use of manpower in conflict with firepower.

HindustanTimes-Print
© Copyright 2007 Hindustan Times

The new one looks like an uncle, the old one looks like a badass.

The new one looks like a simpleton... he sort of reminds me of those teddybears you see holding a heart with an "I love you" on it...

The old one looks like some Mafia boss or thug! I might start having nightmares about him!... He reminds me of Al capone... maybe even that indian actor, the one who speaks in this hoarse voice and wears sunglasses... I believe this dude is amitabh bachan's lost brother ... :D Dono bichrey huwey bhai hain...

Affectionately known as General JJ within army circles, he was appointed Colonel of the Maratha Light Infantry on 10 October 2001. He is an ace shooter and plays basketball, squash and golf. He is also a keen mountaineer who has trained under the late Tenzing Norgay at Himalayan Mountaineering Institute, Darjeeling. He is married to Mrs Anupam Singh and they have a son and a daughter. He is fluent in both Arabic and French, the widely spoken languages in Algeria.

This is about the JJ Singh dude. This guy really does look like a soldier! Played basketball and squash, is an ace shooter, keen mountaineer, and a veteran of war! Yeah thats an army cheif! The dudes got some talents... Well he deserves to be respected... However they should have mentioned the daighters age too though...;)

Anyway he does have some skills but how is he outgoing? Thing is he wasn't involved in any wars when he was Army chief like his predecessors did... so on what basis is he "outgoing" when he hasn't seen much action after he was made army chief?

Anyway he does have some skills but how is he outgoing? Thing is he wasn't involved in any wars when he was Army chief like his predecessors did... so on what basis is he "outgoing" when he hasn't seen much action after he was made army chief?

What do you mean why is he outgoing? He is outgoing because his age for retirement has come, and he has to step down.

outgoing means he has soon to retire hand over his duties to his designated successor.how does fighting a war come here?
The old one looks like some Mafia boss or thug! I might start having nightmares about him!... He reminds me of Al capone... maybe even that indian actor, the one who speaks in this hoarse voice and wears sunglasses... I believe this dude is amitabh bachan's lost brother ... Dono bichrey huwey bhai hain...
haha,I heard Big B is part Sikh(through his mom's side).

Ray/Salim mentioned at WAB once that the vice-chief was his course mate, wonder if its this General kapoor.

outgoing means he has soon to retire hand over his duties to his designated successor.how does fighting a war come here?

haha,I heard Big B is part Sikh(through his mom's side).

I thought that the outgoing meant he was very good as army cheif... i was just inquiring what was it that made him so good at what he did when he was'nt involved in any war or anything...

I thought that the outgoing meant he was very good as army cheif... i was just inquiring what was it that made him so good at what he did when he was'nt involved in any war or anything...

Hehe....the word 'outgoing' has more to do with personality than ability!!

it doesn't really make a huge difference who the army chief is. It will make a difference in the administration of the army, but not a lot.

it doesn't really make a huge difference who the army chief is. It will make a difference in the administration of the army, but not a lot.

That is not entirely correct in my opinion. Army chief is responsible for providing a vision to his troops. He is not an administrator as such. So each Army chief can make a huge difference if he goes on a tangent different from his predecessor. Usually because Indian and Pakistani Armies are fairly large, change or approach as envisioned by the chief is not immediately seen as it takes time to implement such things, however these sort of changes slowly show up.

That is not entirely correct in my opinion. Army chief is responsible for providing a vision to his troops. He is not an administrator as such. So each Army chief can make a huge difference if he goes on a tangent different from his predecessor. Usually because Indian and Pakistani Armies are fairly large, change or approach as envisioned by the chief is not immediately seen as it takes time to implement such things, however these sort of changes slowly show up.

Of course, in terms of training, battle doctorines and stuff will depend on army chief. But Indian army is subordinate to the bureaucracy. So a lot of administrative decisions are not really in the power of the army chief, but some babu above him.
So the policies of the army depend to an extent on the politicians and bureaucrats incharge.

Back
Top Bottom