What's new

GHASSED,Iranian smart bomb

Impressive stuff are they going to export this in the future ?

because of sanction we are not able to export such equipment, but in future if whole sanction will rule back, There are countries that need cheaper price smart bombs than US one.

I'm sure in future iran and iraq will co operate more and iraq also can get some equipment from iran that US doesn't want to sell them.

GBU15.JPG

GBU-15(V)1/B Guided Bomb Unit

Type: TV guided bomb
Length: 12 ft 10 in
Weight: 2,510 lb
Warhead: 945 lb H-6 high-explosive
Range: 5 miles
Drag factor: 46

The GBU-15 uses a TV or imaging infrared seeker to lock onto its target, then glides to the point of impact using control fins. The GBU should be used for important and hard to destroy targets like command bunkers, hardened aircraft shelters and nuclear weapons plants. In addition, it can be used against targets in civilian areas, The warhead of the GBU-15 is the same as the Mk84.

The first fully operational version was the GBU-15(V)1/B in 1983, followed by the (V)2/B in 1985.

GBU-15 - Smart Weapons
Rockwell GBU-15(V)/B
Free-fall munition

A powered version of the GBU-15 family with a strap-on solid-propellant rocket motor for longer range is known as the AGM-130 guided missile.
Boeing AGM-130

AGM-65 Maverick was used on Iranian F4 Phantoms. The GBU-15(V)1/B uses a daylight-only DSU-27A/B TV image-contrast seeker, and theGBU-15(V)2/B uses a WGU-10/B IIR guidance unit (the same as in the AGM-65D Maverick) for limited night/all-weather capability. .... there's your development path.

what are you trying to say my friend? Frankly Tell it , because i already mentioned and explained about GBU and ghassed due to a comment of a troll. so what are you going to say?

Last edited:
what are you trying to say my friend? Frankly Tell it , because i already mentioned and explained about GBU and ghassed due to a comment of a troll. so what are you going to say?
Key portion: AGM-65 Maverick was used on Iranian F4 Phantoms. The GBU-15 uses a guidance unit same as in the AGM-65 Maverick .... there's your development path. What else did you think I was trying to say? Why presume I am trying to make some sort of statement?

Meanwhile, curious as I am, can anybody provide a reasonable explanation why these weapons are so similar in design to existing US weapons? A variety of nations make kits to convert dumb bombs to smart bombs, but they all look distinctly different.

Development began in 1974 and a GBU-15 was demonstrated with a system designed to locate and destroy enemy air defence emitters. In 1978, a GBU-15 incorporating a Mk 84 bomb was successfully guided to a target from a B-52 launch aircraft, using a TV seeker mounted in the nose of the weapon. The TV version, designated GBU-15(V)-1/B, entered full production in 1980. GBU-15 entered service in 1982, since when orders for over 3,200 weapon kits have been received for the Australian, Israeli and US air forces. A total of 70 GBU-15, most of them IR versions (for night attacks), were dropped by F-111Fs during the 1991 Gulf War.

p0062827.jpg

GBU-15 major assemblies with the Mk 84 warhead (top), aerodynamic control surfaces, interconnecting strake and seeker unit (centre), and a complete glide bomb (bottom) (Boeing)
VNFAWING.com :: View topic - GBU-15 Modular Guided Weapons System (Boeing/Raytheon)

Russia's KAB series
img0009.1.jpg

Precision Guided Munitions in the Region

France's AASM family

ORD_AASM_Family_Sagem_lg.jpg

Rafael (Israel) Spice http://www.rafael.co.il/marketing/SIP_STORAGE/FILES/4/924.pdf

Last edited:
Key portion: AGM-65 Maverick was used on Iranian F4 Phantoms. The GBU-15 uses a guidance unit same as in the AGM-65 Maverick .... there's your development path. What else did you think I was trying to say? Why presume I am trying to make some sort of statement?

Meanwhile, curious as I am, can anybody provide a reasonable explanation why these weapons are so similar in design to existing US weapons? A variety of nations make kits to convert dumb bombs to smart bombs, but they all look distinctly different.

Development began in 1974 and a GBU-15 was demonstrated with a system designed to locate and destroy enemy air defence emitters. In 1978, a GBU-15 incorporating a Mk 84 bomb was successfully guided to a target from a B-52 launch aircraft, using a TV seeker mounted in the nose of the weapon. The TV version, designated GBU-15(V)-1/B, entered full production in 1980. GBU-15 entered service in 1982, since when orders for over 3,200 weapon kits have been received for the Australian, Israeli and US air forces. A total of 70 GBU-15, most of them IR versions (for night attacks), were dropped by F-111Fs during the 1991 Gulf War.

p0062827.jpg

GBU-15 major assemblies with the Mk 84 warhead (top), aerodynamic control surfaces, interconnecting strake and seeker unit (centre), and a complete glide bomb (bottom) (Boeing)
VNFAWING.com :: View topic - GBU-15 Modular Guided Weapons System (Boeing/Raytheon)

Russia's KAB series
img0009.1.jpg

Precision Guided Munitions in the Region

France's AASM family

ORD_AASM_Family_Sagem_lg.jpg

Rafael (Israel) Spice http://www.rafael.co.il/marketing/SIP_STORAGE/FILES/4/924.pdf

so what the relation is between ghassed and "GBU-15 is using same seeker as maverick"?. dont tell me you think iran seperated seekers of her mavericks and assembled them on her GBUs?

because:
1-in early years of war in 80's. Iran was lack of ammunition, not just maverick, even GBUs, MK series.as Iran couldnt buy them from the USA, so iran ( sanaye e khodkafai e sepah صنایع خودکفایی سپاه) tried to produce MK series bombs and in mid of the war they could.
and in the last year of war and early 90's iran tried to produce smart bombs, ghassed series are only one type of iranian smart ammunition.

2- iranian fighters all were US made and they were using only US ammunition.hence we reverse engineered US ammunition for our fighter jets like MK series. again we needed to convert our bombs to smart one, what kind of smart bombs were better to take a look to convert our MK bombs to smart bombs? russian or american?

3- when our fighters are F-4, when their ammunition were US made, when we reverse engineered US ammunition and when we know US choose best designs for it's product and there are many experiment behind them, why we should waste lots of money to design new one when we are under pressure and need that money somewhere else or take a look at for example russian ammunition?. our first goal always is providing ammunition and equipment for our military machine to protect ourselves and then finding global customer.

so with reverse engineering and take a look at US products, we have less R&D while we use best designs.

Last edited:
After rereading your initial posts and retorts to some other bloke, I think I'll let it rest there, the above speaks for itself after you first chide someone about GBU 15 not being in Iran's inverntory. You can't reengineer what you don't have, you can only reengineer (and recombine) what you have.. Which is what happened, and what I pointed out, and what you somehow find offense if mentioned.

CU

Impressive stuff are they going to export this in the future ?
Export to the Syrian Arab Army ?First Iran must build more factories and employ more workers so production of these smart munitions can be ramped up massively to meet both local and export needs sufficiently.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom