Ground Zero mosque wins approval !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirza Jatt

Reaction score
Country
India
Ground Zero mosque wins approval

After months of wrenching debate that tested the boundaries of religious tolerance in the United States, lower Manhattan’s Community Board 1 this week removed the final obstacle blocking the construction of a mosque near the site of the 9/11 attacks.

The Board gained the approval of New York City’s Landmark Preservation Commission, which unanimously voted not to extend landmark status to the Park Place building, where the mosque and community centre were planned.

In the absence of the landmark designation, as New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said, “There is nothing in the law that would prevent the owners from opening a mosque within the existing building.”

Issuing a strong statement of support favouring the mosque’s promoters, the Cordoba Initiative, the Mayor added that the building was private property, and the owners had a right to use the building as a house of worship.

Fiercely debated issue

In May this year, the Community Board had fiercely debated but ultimately endorsed the plan to build a mosque on the site, by a vote of 29-to-1. The decision was attacked shortly thereafter by Tea Party leaders such as Mark Williams, who made disparaging remarks about Islam, terrorism and the purpose of having a mosque.

However even some with less extreme views had criticised the plans to build a mosque on Ground Zero. For example, media reports had quoted Rosemary Cain, whose son, a fireman, died in the attacks, as saying, “I think it’s despicable. That’s sacred ground. It’s a slap in the face. How could anybody give them permission to build a mosque there?” Similarly Bill Doyle, father of a 9/11 victim, reportedly said, “What I’m frightened about is that it’s almost going to be another protest zone — a meeting place for radicals.”

However, Mayor Bloomberg defended the plans for the mosque, noting that the World Trade Center site would forever hold a special place in the hearts of New Yorkers. “But we would be untrue to the best part of ourselves — and who we are as New Yorkers and Americans — if we said ‘no’ to a mosque in Lower Manhattan,” he said.

Mr. Bloomberg also pointed out that there were many Muslims among those killed on 9/11 and “our Muslim neighbours grieved with us as New Yorkers and as Americans”. He said that if they treated Muslims differently than anyone else, New Yorkers would be betraying their values and playing into their enemies’ hands. “For that reason, I believe that this is an important test of the separation of church and state as we may see in our lifetime... and it is critically important that we get it right,” he said.

The Hindu : News / International : Ground Zero mosque wins approval

One feedback on facebook regarding the mosque:-

I think there should be a force field around Ground Zero that repels all traces of Islamic Culture for at least 3 blocks.

This Cordoba Complex will cost $100 million dollars or so. Where can he get that kind of money?

IMO if the mosque is built, it will create more hatred for Muslims among the americans in future.

No one in Japan is pushing for any kind of shrine or 'community center' near the Arizona Memorial. This is about sensitivity, basic decency and respect. May be the US should build a 'memorial' in Baghdad in remembrance of American deaths. We can include Iraqi soldiers as well if the local protests are loud enough.

No one in Japan is pushing for any kind of shrine or 'community center' near the Arizona Memorial. This is about sensitivity, basic decency and respect. May be the US should build a 'memorial' in Baghdad in remembrance of American deaths. We can include Iraqi soldiers as well if the local protests are loud enough.

The United States, Britain and France have for the first time decided to send representatives to Hiroshima for an annual ceremony on Aug. 6 to commemorate the 1945 atomic bombing of the city -- marking a policy shift for the three nuclear powers.

U.S. attendance at Hiroshima A-bomb ceremony seen as chance to monitor reactions - The Mainichi Daily News

No one goes to the place after bombing hundred of thousands of people. Not only this, the U.S. and her daughters are going there for political motives which further shows the level of respect you have for others. On the contrary, maybe the U.S. has remorse over the atomic bombings. Considering that logic, Muslims can also have remorse over 9/11; thus, building a solid ground to interact with the society in NY.

If its hitting emotions of people at large then why build?? But same thing doesn't apply when they draw abusive cartoon or Talk of burning Quran in chruch......

Nonsensical analogies in keeping with the bigotry characterizing the opposition to the mosque.

Japan as a nation brought war to US shores.

The US as a nation brought war to Iraqi shores.

Neither of the above two have any business demanding anything from the nations and people they harmed through deliberate acts of violence.

However, Islam or Muslims as an entity did not bring the 911 attackers to US shores - those attacks were committed by Al Qaeda and OBL - neither of those two entities is behind the organizations building the proposed Islamic Center, nor are they representative of most Muslims.

Were this Islamic Center being demanded by Al Qaeda or its representatives/affiliates (present or future), you might have had a point.

Good move by the community board to remove another hurdle in the way.

Nonsensical analogies in keeping with the bigotry characterizing the opposition to the mosque.

Japan as a nation brought war to US shores.

The US as a nation brought war to Iraqi shores.

Neither of the above two have any business demanding anything from the nations and people they harmed through deliberate acts of violence.

However, Islam or Muslims as an entity did not bring the 911 attackers to US shores - those attacks were committed by Al Qaeda and OBL - neither of those two entities is behind the organizations building the proposed Islamic Center, nor are representative of most Muslims.

Were this Islamic Center being demanded by Al Qaeda or its representatives, you might have had a point.

Some people are like stone--They can only understand what has been written on them by their masters. I have seen few individuals here who are 'utterly' blind. They can't even listen to the people on the other side, let alone they can understand.

G thinks that all of us are blind..

Considering that logic, Muslims can also have remorse over 9/11; thus, building a solid ground to interact with the society in NY.
'Muslims' have nothing to be remorseful about.

I am a Muslim - the 911 attacks were not carried out in my name nor did I authorize AQ or OBL in anyway to take actions on my behalf. I am not obligated to show any more, or less, sentiment towards the attacks than any other American.

in my view, nothing should be built on ground zero due to the tragedy that took place there on 9/11!

But this is my opinion!

'Muslims' have nothing to be remorseful about.

I am a Muslim - the 911 attacks were not carried out in my name nor did I authorize AQ or OBL in anyway to take actions on my behalf. I am not obligated to show any more, or less, sentiment towards the attacks than any other American.

You are one of few people who are bold and honest. Muslims in general are/were demoralized by the Western media and I can see the examples in young Muslims here in Canada. OBL was a Muslim, good or bad is a separate thing. However, people in Canada are coming to the table and they are starting to understand our point that OBL and co does not represent true Islam. An average Canadian did not know the real meaning of Jihad at first but they are now understanding it very well.
This gun will back fire someday--

Far are the days where we were treated like slugs! Now people can understand the atrocities committed by--

Where are the memorials built by US troops to mourn the death of innocent civilians in every nation they cremate?

in my view, nothing should be built on ground zero due to the tragedy that took place there on 9/11!

But this is my opinion!

It is not being built on Ground Zero, but a few blocks away from it. A Jewish Synagogue and Christian Church already exist around the same distance from Ground Zero.

I don't understand ..what is the problem with mosque being built near ground zero...Does any body in US relate 9/11 with Islam??

Would anybody would have found it strange, if instead of mosque a church was being built near ground zero ..I think not, because Christianity as a religion had nothing to do with 9/11 attacks.

Similarly Islam as a religion had nothing do with 9/11 attacks!!

When one can build a mosque any where in US then why not Manhattan ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom