What's new

GSLV Mk III-D1/GSAT-19 Mission Live

I think it's a great achievement for India. India is finally a space supa powa. Even though it's a 2 decade old technology. :cheesy:

I also heard it's the first time India didn't fail in the first launch. The batteries for the first time are also using 'indigenous' lithium batteries, so does it mean all previous satellites were using imported lithium batteries? But wait, what about the satellite panels? They didn't say it was indigenous, hmmmm

Thank the gods
I thought someone abducted you

Your rhetoric apart, I own a black "S" class luxury Mercedes 320 already with 10 airbags.
The ignition key of which is worth one month of an average salary of a any Nepalese citizen.

Thanks for messing with me.

Relax pal! Anyways it just costs around 1.5 Cr in India on road. Too many folks own this car even in India. You can even afford this on a VP/AVP salary in likes of Infosys etc. So its not exactly impressive. Even yours truely's family owns a 7 series Beemer, comparable to S-class.

Besides you can count on finger tips how many countries are capable of launching 4000 KG satellite in GTO. Now that is something to write home about!

Oh and do write here in PDF when you own a Ferrari 250 GTO. Love that one. Now that will be comparable to being able to launch a 4 tonne satellite in GTO.

I think it's a great achievement for India. India is finally a space supa powa. Even though it's a 2 decade old technology. :cheesy:

I also heard it's the first time India didn't fail in the first launch. The batteries for the first time are also using 'indigenous' lithium batteries, so does it mean all previous satellites were using imported lithium batteries? But wait, what about the satellite panels? They didn't say it was indigenous, hmmmm

Well sir, it is older than 2 decades. Russia and USA are in this game for quite long. Even right now China is no where near to where USSR and USA were in 1960s. Tell me when you are able to send a man on moon. US did this way way before China. China is still playing catch-up with US space tech of 1960s.

As far as India goes, well, we have just started getting into the real challenging parts of space technology. Our program is still need based and is not going test any frontiers any time soon. Goal of Indian space vehicles was and is to save money on foreign launch services. Something which this vehicle will help a lot into. We still need to extend its capacity to around 6-8 tonne after that it will be useless to develop any further.

Oh, BTW, before I forget, I read till very recently China was not able to manufacture ball points for pens. So much for the world's factory!

Last edited:
Relax pal! Anyways it just costs around 1.5 Cr in India on road. Too many folks own this car even in India. You can even afford this on a VP/AVP salary in likes of Infosys etc. So its not exactly impressive. Even yours truely's family owns a 7 series Beemer, comparable to S-class.

Besides you can count on finger tips how many countries are capable of launching 4000 KG satellite in GTO. Now that is something to write home about!

Oh and do write here in PDF when you own a Ferrari 250 GTO. Love that one. Now that will be comparable to being able to launch a 4 tonne satellite in GTO.

Well sir, it is older than 2 decades. Russia and USA are in this game for quite long. Even right now China is no where near to where USSR and USA were in 1960s. Tell me when you are able to send a man on moon. US did this way way before China. China is still playing catch-up with US space tech of 1960s.

As far as India goes, well, we have just started getting into the real challenging parts of space technology. Our program is still need based and is not going test any frontiers any time soon. Goal of Indian space vehicles was and is to save money on foreign launch services. Something which this vehicle will help a lot into. We still need to extend its capacity to around 6-8 tonne after that it will be useless to develop any further.

Oh, BTW, before I forget, I read till very recently China was not able to manufacture ball points for pens. So much for the world's factory!
I think you got the info wrong, manufacturing ball point is easy, manufacturing the machines and the special steel for the ball points is hard. The special steel is only made in Japan and Switzerland. When China recently announced she can manufacture the whole ball point, it meant we can make both the machines and the steel. Where is India in this regard?

If MKIII is ready, how come the next few GSATs are still going to be launched by Ariane? If China is catching up to 1960s US, India is trying to catch up with 1990s China, btw have you seen our CZ-5, 25 tonnes LEO/14 tonnes GEO, now that's a Ferrari!

Most modern satellites are around 4.5 - 5 tonnes, having a 4 tonnes launch capability is practically useless, unless of course you can keep your current approach of designing satellites below 4 tonnes.

Last edited:
If MKIII is ready, how come the next few GSATs are still going to be launched by Ariane? If China is catching up to 1960s US, India is trying to catch up with 1990s China, btw have you seen our CZ-5, 25 tonnes LEO/14 tonnes GEO, now that's a Ferrari!

Is anyone disputing that? It is true.

Most modern satellites are around 4.5 - 5 tonnes, having a 4 tonnes launch capability is practically useless, unless of course you can keep your current approach of designing satellites below 4 tonnes.
Hi @Han Patriot
I guess you did not get it,the "4-tonne" class means GSLV MK3 can do 4+ tonnes. In fact with minor modifications and weight savings it can even now do 4.5+ tonnes. However to push it beyond 5 ISRO would invariably need semi cryogenic engine.
The reason why they tested it only for 3.2t satellite is simply because they wanted to go conservative route in first trials, I am sure all future trials will be of 4+ tonne capacity.
China seems to be 8-10 years ahead of India in semi cryogenic engine development cycle. However Indian semi cryogenic engine will be of 2000kN capacity as against 1200kN chinese SCE.

I think you got the info wrong, manufacturing ball point is easy, manufacturing the machines and the special steel for the ball points is hard. The special steel is only made in Japan and Switzerland. When China recently announced she can manufacture the whole ball point, it meant we can make both the machines and the steel. Where is India in this regard?
India does not give a damn about manufacturing all the things herself. That is something which only prude Chinese care about. India acquires those technologies which are important in terms of cost saved or they are strategic. Still Chinese are not able to manufacture many critical things and they brag about indigenous capabilities.

I do not know where you got this information that most satellite are around 4-4.5 tonnes. For India, these GS satellite are all less than 4000 KG leaving just one. GSAT-11. Which is around 5.5 tonne and will still need to be launched using Ariane. BTW, there are GSAT-20 and GSAT-17 which will be launched by GSLV MK3 now. Those were originally planned to be launched using Ariane.

Lastly, increasing payload to GTO from 4 tonne to 8-10 tonne is very much in development plan for GSLV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSAT

The real measure of payload capacity and space capabilities is USA and USSR. China is no where near even 60s USA -- neither is India. Checkout how much is the payload to LEO Saturn-V rockets -- it is 100 tonne +. Now that is a Farrai 250 GTO of space launch vehicles I was talking about -- in all sense. Come back and comment when you are anywhere near this.

Last edited:
Indian gslv mk 3 only have 8,000Kg LEO Capacity, compare with China Long March 3B have 11,000Kg LEO Capacity.
What part of geosynchronous you do not understand in GSLV? That rocket specializes in launching medium to heavy weight in Geosynchronous orbit. Why will its LEO orbit payload matter? We needed lighter and more powerful upper space stages to take 4 tonnes to GTO and beyond. For LEO your first stage needs to be more powerful. Design choices.

Last edited:
India does not give a damn about manufacturing all the things herself. That is something which only prude Chinese care about.
I am wondering what is all about the "Make in India", and we manufacturing things because of the pride.:agree:
It seems you got it all figured out,congratulation.

I am wondering what is all about the "Make in India", and we manufacturing things because of the pride.:agree:
It seems you got it all figured out,congratulation.
The keyword is 'all'. Indian private sector and government only cares about those things which are of major cost or strategic benefit to our country. Meanwhile, Chinese here in PDF always keep on bragging about manufacturing everything. Something which neither Indian government nor Indian businesses care.

Seriously I have no idea where these Indians get the idea of 10 years behind China...China 20 years ago is already having better social development compared to India today. I am not going to argue about satellites and India's rocket capability. Indians can just jump and shout SPACE SUPA POWA!

Last edited:
The keyword is 'all'. Indian private sector and government only cares about those things which are of major cost or strategic benefit to our country. Meanwhile, Chinese here in PDF always keep on bragging about manufacturing everything. Something which neither Indian government nor Indian businesses care.
On the other hand, you are telling me the Chinese manufacturing things because of the pride instead of national interest?Is that what you are trying to say?:agree:

Seriously I have no idea where these Indians get the idea of 10 years behind China...China 20 years ago is already having better social development compared to India today.
The entire thread is about Space Launch Vehicles. Context pal.

While the Indians are full of ego, no such trait in China. They do their research silently, their products come unannounced. Chinese are more disciplined & sophisticated compared to Indians. Chinese don't brag.

I am saying this because I have "been there done that"
Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Shanghai, Malaysia (28% Chinese)
One who has traveled, knows.

While the Indians are full of ego, no such trait in China. They do their research silently, their products come unannounced. Chinese are more disciplined & sophisticated compared to Indians. Chinese don't brag.

Says the guy who was bragging about his Black Mercedes S-Class 320 CDI.

And yes Chinese brag a hell lot too. Go to the Chinese section and read all the threads and their braggadocio.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/chin...-powerful-than-tnt.474844/page-2#post-9408725

Read here, how Chinese brag about their impossible achievements. Funny part is that those are totally disconnected from reality. I had to personally put a pin in their inflated ego to bring them to ground.

For more Chinese hot air read Global Times and Chinese military bloggers.

Back
Top Bottom