What's new

Gujarat riots: Maya Kodnani, Babu Bajrangi among 32 to be sentenced.

rockstarIN

Reaction score
Country
India
AHMEDABAD: A special SIT court will on Friday pronounce quantum of punishment to 32 convicted, including BJP leader Maya Kodnani and Bajrang Dal leader Babu Bajrangi, in the Naroda Patia massacre case.

The court is expected to pronounce its verdict at around 2.45pm.

On Wednesday, the court had convicted 32 people and acquitted 29 in the biggest post-Godhra killings.

On February 28, 2002, 97 persons were killed in Naroda. As many as 94 bodies were found, of which 84 were identified. Three people are still missing.

Former Gujarat minister Kodnani and Bajrangi have been convicted under sections 120 (B) (criminal conspiracy) and 302 (murder) of the Indian Penal Code, amongst others.

Special public prosecutor has sought capital punishment for the convicts, during the hearing for quantum of punishment.
He argued that as this court has upheld the aspect of murder and criminal conspiracy, this is a fit case to be termed as "rarest of rare" and court should award capital punishment to the convicts.

If the court wants to be lenient then at least it should award minimum of 20 years of imprisonment to each of the convicts, he argued.

Opposing his contention, defense advocate Niranjan Tikani appealed to the court to show leniency towards the convicts, keeping in mind their family background and financial condition.

Kanoon Ke hath Labhe Hote hei. In our country, Justice may be delayed but not overruled. Convictions in such cases will not allow any more riots in the country.

Kanoon Ke hath Labhe Hote hei. In our country, Justice may be delayed but not overruled. Convictions in such cases will not allow any more riots in the country.
Justice delayed is justice denied.

In India, justice of every case is delayed. I think this is the fastest justice in any riot case of India.

I am waiting for the sikh riots sorry genocide justice for the past 28 years. Let me see when it will happen.

Back
Top Bottom