Hawk jets to be manufactured in India

SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
BAE hopes to land deal with Indian Government to build Hawk jets

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

BAE Systems will find out within weeks whether it has secured a contract to build 20 Hawk jets, which could provide more work for its Brough site.

The company is working to secure a deal with the Indian Air Force's Surya Kiran display team to build the jets.

295246.jpg

Discussions are ongoing and, if the contract is secured, it could be good news for Brough.

In May BAE Systems announced 248 jobs at the Brough site would be saved after a £1.6 billion deal was struck with Saudi Arabia to supply Hawk trainer jets.

The defence giant confirmed it has secured the contract to build 22 of the aircraft – made famous by the Red Arrows – as well as spares and technical support to Saudi Arabia.

But the latest contract could be complicated by BAE's relationship with Indian company Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL).

In previous deals in India, HAL has built the aircraft, with BAE providing the expertise.

BAE spokesman Dean Tasker says it is still early days, with the bidding process involving a "request for proposal" still to begin.

He said: "Funding has been released by the Indian Government to purchase more Hawk aircraft for the display team. But we haven't received an order yet.

"It is quite a complicated process with India. We have a production plan with HAL, which is our partner there.

"A request for proposal will go to HAL, who will them place that proposal with ourselves."

If the deal is secured, Mr Tasker says the nature of the contract would need to be thrashed out.

He said: "If we were successful, it would mean manufacturing would more likely take place in India.

"But it could also have the team at Brough supporting it.

"It wouldn't create any new jobs but it could well sustain jobs already at Brough.

"It probably wouldn't have the same impact as the Saudi Arabia contract but Brough could certainly get some work from it."

Ian Gent, staff convenor at BAE Brough, is refusing to get too excited until he knows more about the deal.

He said: "My gut feeling is this will not have a huge impact on Brough.

"India has its own sites to build these aircraft. But if the Indian Government wants the Hawks quickly then BAE might suggest they could be built here more swiftly if there is a tight window.

"If we are to benefit, it will be the logistics and engineering side that will profit. But I think it's a case of just waiting and see what develops.

"If the deal is secured we will be asking BAE management if we will benefit and, if not, why not."

Meanwhile, Unite is now concentrating its efforts on ensuring work can be found for the Brough staff losing their jobs rather than trying to keep the site open.

Mr Gent said: "I think securing the jobs in May for the Saudi contract was a great result and that's as far as we can push it.

"We are trying to ensure our workers will have new jobs in place in the area they live but it isn't easy.

"We are trying to persuade investors to take on the site and utilise the skilled workers already here."

BAE hopes to land deal with Indian Government to build Hawk jets | This is Hull and East Riding

although its a good opportunity but i think we our self r in great need for these trainers
We have already suffered great loss due to lack of trainers

However, if possibly we can go for some 50:50 partnership like half of the 20 jets at india n the other half at BAE's site

this deal is a shame, a massive shame on india. we have put sitara plane and we r buying these????

we have lch and we r buying apache??
our indegeneous artillery is ready but we r buying from america??

i dont get it whyyyy???

this deal is a shame, a massive shame on india. we have put sitara plane and we r buying these????

i dont get it whyyyy???

Because each of those things fall in different categories. HAL Sitara is an intermediatet jet trainer, to conduct the second stage training of pilots. Hawk is an advanced jet trainer to conduct the third stage training. LCH falls in the light category of attack helis, apache falls in the heavy category.

We have made the LCA, but will be inducting the MKIs and Rafales well into the future - same reason, that they fall in different categories, and will fulfill different roles in the IAF.

we need DRDO to build such type good planes, DRDO proposals were eye estimated by Bureaucrats.

i dont get it whyyyy???

cause apaches are war proven best machines. might be to got some tech from the apache and also to get some helis earlier. or some unknown reasons like money etc.

That's a major kick in the As$ for HAL Sitara.

DSC_0281-737257.JPG

i dont get it whyyyy???

Comparing apples and oranges:

LCH is a LIGHT attack helo- the AH-64D Blk.III is the most advanced Heavy attack helo on the planet.
The IJT-36 is an INTERMEDIATE jet trainer that is used for stage TWO training the Hawk is an AJT used for stage THREE training- the IJT and AJT will operate together not instead of one another they are compliments not supplements.
M777 arty from US is classed as ULH the most advanced type in the world- OFB does NOT make anything comparable. The M777 can be transported by Mil-17 to high altitude posts in the Himalayas or 3-2 such units transported in C-130Js and C-17s.

If you know what you are talking about you can see the clear logic in all these purchases- there is nothing "shaming" about them and in fact they are very mature and intelligent buys.

although its a good opportunity but i think we our self r in great need for these trainers
We have already suffered great loss due to lack of trainers

However, if possibly we can go for some 50:50 partnership like half of the 20 jets at india n the other half at BAE's site

There is no real pressing need for these wrt training pilots as these Hawks are exclusively for use by the Surya Kiran display team and as such will not be used to train rookie pilots at all. Hence speedy induction is not a priority and it is preferable for India to go production in India to have Indians employed instead of some Brits far away.

Why are the Britishers & us leaders & big business houses supported by government make so much cry for jobs. It's like they open factories without thinking to continue. Whatever comes in way,accept it or close the factory & job loss is the headline. Wtf?

This Hawk can be used in war like situation...right?
other than use for training .Can any one say what weapon it can carry.Will it support BVR weapon.

This Hawk can be used in war like situation...right?
other than use for training .Can any one say what weapon it can carry.Will it support BVR weapon.

It doesn't even have a radar, and can't fire missiles. At best, they can drop dumb bombs. Some countries make use of that capability to conduct counter insurgency. If it comes to a stage where the IAF has to use hawks to drop bombs, that means the real air force and all its assets have been obliterated, the country has been nuked several times and so on.

It doesn't even have a radar, and can't fire missiles. At best, they can drop dumb bombs. Some countries make use of that capability to conduct counter insurgency. If it comes to a stage where the IAF has to use hawks to drop bombs, that means the real air force and all its assets have been obliterated, the country has been nuked several times and so on.

i don't know from where u knew that..

thats Hawk-128(india got upgraded version of this)'s specification..

Armament

Note: all armament is optional.

• 1× 30 mm ADEN cannon, in centreline pod
• Up to 6,800 lb (3,085 kg) of weapons on five hardpoints, including:
• 4× AIM-9 Sidewinder or ASRAAM on wing pylons and wingtip rails
• 1,500 lb (680 kg), limited to one centreline and two wing pylons (Hawk T1)

and i know Hawk has radar,Hawk 200 got APG-66 same like F-16.previous versions didn't get that much capable radar,but they have it.i'm searching about previous versions.initially they were radarless,as they fly with tornado.but i don't think they are right now as they can fire sidewinders.

You answered the question yourself.......
IJT's full form is Intermediate Jet Trainer, wheres the Hawks will be used as Advanced trainers:agree:

Isnt that a duplication of ablities?
The jets are almost the same class..
It seems more like a statement of "we can so we will" rather than a statement of "we need, so we did".

Isnt that a duplication of ablities?
The jets are almost the same class..
It seems more like a statement of "we can so we will" rather than a statement of "we need, so we did".

It's more like, we can do it, but will need time to mature it, that's why we split the requirement and add a more advanced or proven foreign version too:

Trainers - IJT / Hawks, HAL HTT40 / Pilatus
Fighters - LCA / MRCA, AMCA / FGFA
Helicopters - HAL LUH / Fennec or Ka 226 / HAL IMRH / Mi 171
Transporters - MTA / C130J - 30
Tanks - Arjun / T90

Back
Top Bottom