What's new

Help needed!Buying courses on Udemy/Coursera via Debit Card

Hiraa

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Hello there

i was trying to buy few courses on Udemy through my MCB debit card but the transaction was declined. I called helpline and they had no idea about it as well. Then i searched on google and found this.

HBL: Visa/Master Debit/Credit Cards; UnionPay not yet confirmed.
Bank Al-Habib: Visa/Master Debit/Credit Cards.
Standard Chartered: All Cards applicable for any online transaction.
UBL: UBL Wiz Card applicable for Udemy transactions
Askari Bank Limited: Visa/Master Debit/Credit Cards all applicable for Udemy transaction

so i did a little more digging on twitter. Turns out HBL debit card doesnt work either ( the tweet was from 2020, same time as the article posted) so what is really the gurantee of the other debit cards, right?

can anyone in pakistan confirm which bank’s credit/debit cards are accepted by udemy/coursera/edx/udacity. Like they have actually purchased from these websites.

i’ll really appreciate the help.
Thanks alot.

Hello there

i was trying to buy few courses on Udemy through my MCB debit card but the transaction was declined. I called helpline and they had no idea about it as well. Then i searched on google and found this.

Askari Bank Limited: Visa/Master Debit/Credit Cards all applicable for Udemy transaction

so i did a little more digging on twitter. Turns out HBL debit card doesnt work either ( the tweet was from 2020, same time as the article posted) so what is really the gurantee of the other debit cards, right?

can anyone in pakistan confirm which bank’s credit/debit cards are accepted by udemy/coursera/edx/udacity. Like they have actually purchased from these websites.

Thanks alot.
You need to get your debit card activated for ecommerce first. Secondly get a credit card made. It is more easily accepted while doing forex transactions than a debit card.
I've bought udemy courses for refreshing my financial modelling skills & for learning Python coding using HBL credit cards.

A credit card, or a Visa-Debit might be your best bet. If not those, contact the website and ask if they accept prepaid cards, if so, ask what brand they accept.

Last edited:
Hello there

Thanks alot.
I think you can buy through pioneer? Just make an account there, and try that.
BTW which course you want to buy?

I use Bank Alfalah Credit card all the time. It works perfectly fine. Just call them to enable online transactions and open cross-border flag.

You need to get your debit card activated for ecommerce first. Secondly get a credit card made. It is more easily accepted while doing forex transactions than a debit card.
I've bought udemy courses for refreshing my financial modelling skills & for learning Python coding using HBL credit cards.
I did activate my MCB debit card for international transactions, dint work. Used my father’s credit card(same from MCB) dint work either.

now i am trying to gather information which bank cards work for such websites. Will have to get information from nearby HBL branch since you have purchased through your HBL credit card.
Thanks alot
I think you can buy through pioneer? Just make an account there, and try that.
BTW which course you want to buy?
Never Heard of pioneer, what is it exactly?
I use Bank Alfalah Credit card all the time. It works perfectly fine. Just call them to enable online transactions and open cross-border flag.
Okay so HBL and Bank Al Falah credit cards work. thanks. Will look into bank al falah as well.

Hello there

Thanks alot.
Activate your debit card for international transactions.

I did activate my MCB debit card for international transactions, dint work. Used my father’s credit card(same from MCB) dint work either.

now i am trying to gather information which bank cards work for such websites. Will have to get information from nearby HBL branch since you have purchased through your HBL credit card.
Thanks alot
Contact some international resident, you trust.. like friends's friend. Now, if they send money to Pak, ask them that yo will pay to their family and in return they can buy you Udemy courses.

No.. I never did any sort of this Hundi thing ... :D

Activate your debit card for international transactions.
I did. But it did not work. Neither a credit card from MCB.
Contact some international resident, you trust.. like friends's friend. Now, if they send money to Pak, ask them that yo will pay to their family and in return they can buy you Udemy courses.

No.. I never did any sort of this Hundi thing ... :D

Lol. No such friend in my circle. Isi liye asked here for help.

Hello there

Thanks alot.

I do not believe there should be any problems if you use VISA or Mastercard irregardless of the bank that issued it.

By the way if you were looking to purchases courses there are some other sites if you're interested that sell them at deep discounted prices plus other sites you can just download them off for free.

Let me know if you're interested in those.

I do not believe there should be any problems if you use VISA or Mastercard irregardless of the bank that issued it.

By the way if you were looking to purchases courses there are some other sites if you're interested that sell them at deep discounted prices plus other sites you can just download them off for free.

@Hiraa

Try using fb page 'scholarship network'. Or some other pages and people can give you a cheaper resource to buy Udemy courses.

my father called MCB and asked them to turn his visa credit card internet session on for international transaction. They said its already on for credit cards,but they do see an error on their system because my udemy transaction was denied. Just cant figure out why his card was declined.

yes ofcourse. Please do let me know of those websites.

Idk about Udemy but I used Meezan Visa card for my CFA exams transcations, but they charged too much (nearly 8.5% of original transcation) for every banking transcation.

I'd suggest you to not waste hard earned cash on courses from Coursera, Udemy, Edx and alike. They are worthless. Better opt for options from Pakistan Institute of Management, ICMAP, university courses or other registered institutions in Pakistan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom