What's new

Here’s How BYD Rocked Toyota’s Manufacturing World

Menthol

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

“For the first time, I came face to face with the competitiveness of Chinese components,” Kato said. “In China, they were not simply learning and applying technologies, but also rapidly transforming manufacturing.”

“Laying eyes on equipment that I had never seen in Japan and their state-of-the-art manufacturing, I was struck by a sense of crisis – ’We’re in trouble!’ At the same time, I began to think that I would like to spend the rest of my career in China,” he added.

Last edited:
Anyone ever read Robert Kiyosaki's work (Rich Dad Poor Dad)? He said that Japan once made crap everyone tried to avoid. But once their industry developed and evolved, their products became synonymous with world quality. China probably in the same shoe, trying to shrug off the stigma of making crappy products from days long past...

Anyone ever read Robert Kiyosaki's work (Rich Dad Poor Dad)? He said that Japan once made crap everyone tried to avoid. But once their industry developed and evolved, their products became synonymous with world quality. China probably in the same shoe, trying to shrug off the stigma of making crappy products from days long past...

Toyota used to be the world most advanced car manufacturer.

Created Toyota Manufacturing System called Lean Manufacturing.

If Toyota's president of EV compliments China manufacturing system, it's very meaningful.

Elon Musk, himself, praised China manufacturing, even asked Tesla Shanghai Giga Factory's head to move to USA to improve USA Giga Factory.

An example with numbers I will put here just to show much sh!t they are in -

This brings total investment to approximately $13.9 billion
Production will be increased in a phased approach, with line launches planned through 2030 to reach a total production of more than 30GWh annually.

Let's compare another news which was revealed recently, about CATL.
The first phase of the site, with a total land area of about 885 mu and a total investment of about RMB 7 billion ($960 million), is designed to have an annual production capacity of 30 GWh of power and energy storage batteries.
The first phase of the project uses an advanced production line with an automation rate of 95 percent, featuring a high production pace and high flexibility, CATL said.

Notice how both factories produce the same capacity (in fact Toyota factory will not reach full capacity before 2030), but costs about 14x more.

How will they compete against these Chinese companies?

Back
Top Bottom