Hindu prayer opens Idaho state senate session amid protest

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Hindu prayer opens Idaho state senate session amid protest - The Hindu

IN04_IDAHO_2330003f.jpg

For the first time the opening prayer for the Idaho state senate was said on Tuesday by a Hindu cleric amid protests by some senators who claimed the United States was a Christian nation and denounced Hinduism, local media reported.

Universal Society of Hinduism president Rajan Zed, who said the prayer in Sanskrit and English, made a call for the legislators to “act selflessly without any thought of personal profit” because “selfish action imprisons the world.”

He was invited by Senate President Pro-Tem Brent Hill to be a guest chaplain and deliver the invocation which is usually made by a Christian chaplain at the start of the day’s legislative session in Boise. According to The Idaho Statesman, when protests were made before the session, Mr. Hill said: “I reviewed the prayer. It did not seem offensive in any way.” He added: “It refers to ‘deity supreme’.”

Senator Steve Vick, who walked out of the Senate chamber before Mr. Zed’s invocation said that Hindu prayers should not be allowed because the U.S. was “built on the Judeo-Christian, not only religion, but work ethic, and I don’t want to see that undermined”, the Statesman reported. Hindus “have a caste system,” he added. “They worship cows.”

He was one of the three Republican senators to boycott the prayer. Senator Sheryl Nuxoll said she boycotted Mr. Zed’s prayer because she believed the United States is a Christian nation and “Hindu is a false faith with false gods,” according to the newspaper.

But Mr. Hill, who is also a Republican, told the Statesman, “In my mind, you either believe in religious freedom or you don’t... We have had Jewish prayers, many denominations of Christian prayers.”

The Statesman quoted Mr. Zed as saying of the protests: “We don’t mind. Hinduism is more embracing.”

KTVB-TV said that Mr. Zed noted “that most of the legislators welcomed him warmly” and said, “We all have different viewpoints, and that is wonderful, that is what makes our country great.” He added: “We are all looking for the truth. If we can join our resources together, we can reach there faster.”

Senators from both the Republican Party, which controls the Senate, and the Democratic Party shook the saffron-clad Mr. Zed’s hand and thanked him for coming, the Statesman said.

The U.S. does not have an official religion and the secular constitution prescribes strict separation of religion and state. However, federal and state legislatures open their sessions with prayers, even though prayers are prohibited in government schools because of the constitutional injunction.

In 2000, Venkatachalapathi Samuldrala of Shiva Hindu Temple in Parma, Ohio, made the opening invocation in the House of Representatives in Washington. Mr. Zed said the opening prayers at the federal Senate in 2007 when it was disrupted by protesters from the public gallery.

Idaho borders Washington State, where two Hindu temples were vandalised last month. The second attack occurred the same week that an influential Christian fundamentalist preacher, Pat Robertson, said on his TV show that Hindu prayer “sounds like gibberish.”

A former candidate for the Republican Party’s presidential nomination, he had earlier called Hinduism “demonic.”

Senator Steve Vick, who walked out of the Senate chamber before Mr. Zed’s invocation said that "They worship cows.”
So? Mr senator, worshiping cows is far far better than indulging in genocide, killing innocent men women and children across the world - from Iraq to Syria to the Color Revolutions in the CIS Republics and massacres in the Middle East and Afghanistan using drones and Daisy cutters.

Mr Senator, you need to shut the fuk up! Period!

So? Mr senator, worshiping cows is far far better than indulging in genocide, killing innocent men women and children across the world - from Iraq to Syria to the Color Revolutions in the CIS Republics and massacres in the Middle East and Afghanistan using drones and Daisy cutters.

Mr Senator, you need to shut the fuk up! Period!

I am sorry but worshiping a animal is dumb!

btw I am also a Hindu.

I think the stigma associated with Hinduism and its concepts is incorrect. At some point a better preaching of how much monotheism actually does exist in Hinduism needs to be "marketed".

There is a difference between worshiping a cow and revering it.

Hindus DO NOT worship cows. Cows are respected and revered as they have forever been in Indian history. They are part of Lord Krishna's life, from him stealing butter to him dancing with Radha and gopi's. Then there is the reference to Nandi.

All of these references means that Hindus revere the cow and are not comfortable with the animal being mistreated or culled.

In Hinduism, worship pertains to only one God, be it Lord Shiva for Shivaites or Lord Vishnu for Vaishnavites. All other deities are only revered and remembered in prayer. According to the dwaitha concept, every being is part of a hierarchy in terms of sadhana, and all beings above you in that hierarchy are worthy of reverence. Be it your immediate guru or a cow. Its not a concept easy to grasp.

I am sorry but worshiping a animal is dumb!

btw I am also a Hindu.

cow is a revered animal in hinduism and is given a status next to only mother as a child will be fed by cows milk for the rest of his lyf, once his mother stops breast feeding him. people who respect a mother, respect a cow too and at tyms worship it the same way they do with there parents ?? which part of your conscience says it is a dumb practise ??

The idea that GOD is a supreme being and we have to fear and worship him, ignoring to give dignity to his creations is an absurd.

Hindus give dignity to GODs creations as well.

I think the stigma associated with Hinduism and its concepts is incorrect. At some point a better preaching of how much monotheism actually does exist in Hinduism needs to be "marketed".

Not marketed but explained and taught!

I don't worship cows or the Sun myself. It sure is dumb! But given a choice I would rather worship a cow than indulge in genocide!

Cows have been far more useful alive than dead, so it makes sense to take care of your cows than butcher it and be done with the meat in two days.

Also, it is not any different than Mongolian nomads revering their reindeers!

Back
Top Bottom