What's new

Hoarding junk: Mental illness or individual's nature?

Reaction score
Country
India
Dear Moderators/Admins,

Let this thread be in this section because who knows there may be other people facing similar problem.

Is hoarding junk a mental illness or individual's nature?

An unacquainted reader may think, "This is not a big issue. Reasoning, explaining and convincing will solve the matter." But actually the problem is not so simple. Had it been so easy it wouldn't have been a problem in the first place.

Mom seriously believes her doings are normal. She doesn't have the sense to understand. She is adamant. If we try to change her she quarrels like anything.

1. Not using dustbin even when dustbin is available at home. Nor does Mom allow us to use it. Instead she puts all the dirt in two or three polythene bags. The dirt may spill outside while putting. Even without spilling the polythene bags itself look like garbage. If we try to use dustbin, Mom scolds and prohibits.

2. Not using door mat. Instead Mom uses two-three old clothes for wiping feet. It looks disgusting.

3. Putting dozen old invitation cards (received during other's weddings and Gruhapraveshas - Residential House inauguration ) to cover windows despite putting curtain. If I try to remove it she tells it is to cover the transparent glass.

4. In one window instead of using curtain, Mom has put old saree and bedsheet by using clips to cover window. It looks disgusting.

5. Saving old milk packets (plastic) for years to earn a negligible amount of money. Instead of hiding the bag in which it is saved, it is kept on outer side of window. It is visible directly to eyes while climbing stairs.

6. Not disposing off old cartons of soap. Mom believes that tons of cartons of soap keep away mosquitoes. If I try to throw it away, Mom scolds.

7. Keeping many objects on floor instead of creating proper space for it. Two or three items are okay. But here there are about dozen of them. Onion basket, flour sack, even empty containers having nothing but jute sack etc.

8. Saving too many of polythene covers that come with products like flour sack and keeping it strewn around the house.

9. Not throwing away old metal scrap like old stove, old worn out cot, old steel rack etc. Nor does Mom allow us to dispose them. She tells it can be repaired and re-used.

10. Saving mango seeds after consuming the pulp. Using medicine strips in addition to scrubber for washing utensils.

11. Scavenging useless items while going out for a stroll in a park. It may be things like the smooth fine stones found on sea shore or in construction sand (what is it called?), or some shapely but worn-out wooden objects etc.

Last edited:
T7olOFq.gif

Dear Moderators/Admins,

Let this thread be in this section because who knows there may be other people facing similar problem.

An unacquainted reader may think, "This is not a big issue. Reasoning, explaining and convincing will solve the matter." But actually the problem is not so simple. Had it been so easy it wouldn't have been a problem in the first place.

Mom seriously believes her doings are normal. She doesn't have the sense to understand. She is adamant. If we try to change her she quarrels like anything.

1. Not using dustbin even when dustbin is available at home. Nor does Mom allow us to use it. Instead she puts all the dirt in two or three polythene bags. The dirt may spill outside while putting. Even without spilling the polythene bags itself look like garbage. If we try to use dustbin, Mom scolds and prohibits.

2. Not using door mat. Instead Mom uses two-three old clothes for wiping feet. It looks disgusting.

3. Putting dozen old invitation cards (received during other's weddings and Gruhapraveshas - Residential House inauguration ) to cover windows despite putting curtain. If I try to remove it she tells it is to cover the transparent glass.

4. In one window instead of using curtain, Mom has put old saree and bedsheet by using clips to cover window. It looks disgusting.

5. Saving old milk packets (plastic) for years to earn a negligible amount of money. Instead of hiding the bag in which it is saved, it is kept on outer side of window. It is visible directly to eyes while climbing stairs.

6. Not disposing off old cartons of soap. Mom believes that tons of cartons of soap keep away mosquitoes. If I try to throw it away, Mom scolds.

7. Keeping many objects on floor instead of creating proper space for it. Two or three items are okay. But here there are about dozen of them. Onion basket, flour sack, even empty containers having nothing but jute sack etc.

8. Saving too many of polythene covers that come with products like flour sack and keeping it strewn around the house.

9. Not throwing away old metal scrap like old stove, old worn out cot, old steel rack etc. Nor does Mom allow us to dispose them. She tells it can be repaired and re-used.

10. Saving mango seeds after consuming the pulp. Using medicine strips in addition to scrubber for washing utensils.

11. Scavenging useless items while going out for a stroll in a park. It may be things like the smooth fine stones found on sea shore or in construction sand (what is it called?), or some shapely but worn-out wooden objects etc.
There are two categories of people - normal and retarded. Your Mom comes under third category: semi-retarded. So it must be her nature.

Last edited:
Dear Moderators/Admins,

Hi brother,

I am sorry for your mother. But she sure is suffering from some sort of mental illness..

It seems to be some kind of obsession to me

You didn't tell when it started, any recent changes in habits or any severe mental trauma ,. etcher behavior with other things ...

Better to visit a psychiatrist at earliest. Looks like she needs behavioural therapy may be some medications.

Don't give an ear to disgusting comments by other members. They just lack dignity and respect

Dear Moderators/Admins,

As a sleepdeprivation sufferer mental patient, i can agree that this is a real mental illness.

I have family members who demonstrate similar hoarding symptoms. Nearly, all of them are financially rich with high income. All of them are also tight misers in spending and giving. As they all passed their middle age, I doubt if they will ever change. It is also possible that some of their offsprings may also pick up these symptoms. Very sad indeed.

Dear Moderators/Admins,

I think that it is caused by life long poverty.

It is a state developed through long term poverty somewhere in your history. Older people who have gone through true poverty rarely throw anything away. Fast forward to today’s world where everything is designed to be disposable, it becomes a disorder.

My prayers, however I would advise you to take her to a psychiatrist. She will probably not want to go, but its for her own good.

Dear Moderators/Admins,

At first glance you may chalk up hoarding to growing up poor as a kid and later being hesitant to throw away stuff that you paid "hard earned money" for. My mother started falling into this trap for about 10 years but my father put an end to it.

Now my brother's family has gone far far far down this road. His wife grew up in a wealthy family yet she has turned into a complete hoarder. My brother also probably inherited some of this from my mother so he is just as guilty. Between the two of them things have gotten completely out of control and they don't allow anybody in their house. Their combined income is well over $100,000 so they aren't hurting for money.

I could see myself as a hoarder but luckily I'm simply too busy to buy and collect stuff. I don't throw much away. I have clothes from 1992. The sweatshirt I'm wearing right now is probably from 1996 (well it was on sale and I bought like 15 of the exact same one).

Last edited:
I have clothes from 1992. The sweatshirt I'm wearing right now is probably from 1996 (well it was on sale and I bought like 15 of the exact same one).
If these mentioned items are the only things you collect, then they are not junk. All are useful things.

What my mom hoards is thrash. What she does is atrocity.

I have recent experience with this as well.

I live a semi nomadic life so I never buy too many things. My last big move was 6 months ago and I threw away everything that I didn't need and fit my life into 2 suitcases.
It felt like I lost a lot of weight. It's psychologically invigorating to not have that much junk.
And now, everytime I want to buy something I think " do I need it or will I throw it away in my next move?"

My parents on the other hand.... My mom grew up in the walled City of Lahore and didn't have much as a kid.
Now she packs 3 large fridges and 1 large freezer full of food.
There is expired food in there from 2014.
When confronted she just says "we need to feed the family"
..... There are 3 people who live in that house.... And she's filled it with food for 30.

Back
Top Bottom