What's new

How did we get to this point?

Reaction score
I'm starting this thread in the hope that I'll be able to gain a better understanding as to how and why Pakistan is in the terrible situation that it is at present.

I think maybe a lot of us have lost sight of how/why we came to this juncture to begin with.I feel it would be informative for us all to trace the events that led up to where we find ourselves today in the hope that we can learn from our mistakes and try to ensure we do not repeat such mistakes in the future.We can also reflect on what we got right and see how we can apply that in the future as well.

My understanding is that the Pakistani Government under American instruction/pressure deployed troops to the Waziristan region sometime in 2002/3 in order to stop cross border infiltration.This deployment failed and the army withdrew and signed some sort of peace deal with the tribal people of Waziristan.

At this point there were no attacks or bombings inside Pakistan itself by those wishing to fight the Americans across the border in Afghanistan, correct?

It appears that it was only after the events that took place at the red mosque in Islamabad that the attacks started happening inside Pakistan on a mass scale. After which the operation in the Bajaur region and there after the first SWAT operation and now Rah e Rast.

I know this is a very very brief summary please fill in the gaps so we can break down the list of events put them in order and analyse them one by one.

I'm starting this thread in the hope that I'll be able to gain a better understanding as to how and why Pakistan is in the terrible situation that it is at present.

I think maybe a lot of us have lost sight of how/why we came to this juncture to begin with.I feel it would be informative for us all to trace the events that led up to where we find ourselves today in the hope that we can learn from our mistakes and try to ensure we do not repeat such mistakes in the future.We can also reflect on what we got right and see how we can apply that in the future as well.

My understanding is that the Pakistani Government under American instruction/pressure deployed troops to the Waziristan region sometime in 2002/3 in order to stop cross border infiltration.This deployment failed and the army withdrew and signed some sort of peace deal with the tribal people of Waziristan.

At this point there were no attacks or bombings inside Pakistan itself by those wishing to fight the Americans across the border in Afghanistan, correct?

It appears that it was only after the events that took place at the red mosque in Islamabad that the attacks started happening inside Pakistan on a mass scale. After which the operation in the Bajaur region and there after the first SWAT operation and now Rah e Rast.

I know this is a very very brief summary please fill in the gaps so we can break down the list of events put them in order and analyse them one by one.

Go through the programme "Bolta Pakistan" 18 June you would get answers to some of your questions
adios.

BTW: I personally like Nusrat Javed

How did we get to this point?

Untangling the threads of various causes that lead to a consequence is tricky business. My question would be - How far back do you want to go?

I'll try and answer anyway, from an outsider's perspective. And keep it short/ simple.

A nation is just a collection of people and regions who 'buy in' to the fundamental belief that that nation 'belongs' to them. The rest - national anthems, armies, wars, patriotism, etc are but a shallow covering on this central premise.

The more intense the belief, the greater the 'patriotism'. This belief is reinforced by bureaucracies, equitable development, generally the feeling that it is in the interest of people to support the center. The elites benefit the most, but they must ensure that the mass of people also benefit from 'nationhood'.

Like India in Kashmir and the Indian northeast, Pakistan has not been able to successfully drive this concept in the areas now under turmoil. Or it never tried to do so. Or its efforts have been too weak in the face of the Talibani assault.

That is the reason, in my opinion. In my humble opinion also, everything else is just incidental.

If you look right now the areas where all 'militant' activities are happening are the most socially & economically deprived in PAKISTAN. Whether it is BALOCHISTAN or NWFP or SOUTH PUNJAB.
The biggest & the root cause for all this is following US AGENDA blindly coupled with a crumbling /incompetent bureaucratic & administrative system which causes the masses more grievances then any good. Lack of any 'selfless will' by the political groups to enforce a national agenda. In fact all political groups starting from ZULFI BHUTTO days are only concerned with promoting a 'JIYALA CULTURE' & to strenghten there PARTISANS by any means. All this has just resulted in a big social chaos which has resulted in a 'few haves' & 'majority havenots'.
Ironically MILITANCY is the only reactionary 'PRODUCT' available to the masses to vent out there rage. Only acceptable solution is to come up with a fair alternate 'PRODUCT', not mere 'ROTI, KAPRA, MAKAN or MOTORWAYS ' slogans

Last edited:
started right after the murder of Sir Laiquat Ali Khan ,it was never investigated no one was brought to justice !

Back
Top Bottom