What's new

How The U.S. Lost Thousands Of High-Skilled Workers To Canada

_NOBODY_

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

How The U.S. Lost Thousands Of High-Skilled Workers To Canada

On July 16, 2023 Canada opened visa applications for a pilot program that would allow up to 10,000 H-1B visa holders in the United States to apply for a three year open-work permit in Canada. H-1B holders are highly educated and specialized foreign workers that work in fields such as tech.

After massive layoffs in the tech industry, this was a lifeline for H-1B holders who needed to find a new job or face deportation. The program was an instant success reaching its full capacity on the first day.

Since then, the Canadian government says more than 6,000 high-skilled U.S. foreign workers have arrived in Canada. CNBC spoke with several foreign tech workers and immigration consultants to uncover the story of how the U.S.’s bureaucratic visa process pushed thousands of high-skilled workers north.

Chapters:
00:00
Introduction
01:25 H-1B program
05:38 Impact of tech layoffs
10:53 Reforming the system

Since then, the Canadian government says more than 6,000 high-skilled U.S. foreign workers have arrived in Canada.
6,000..hmm

applicants.png

The US will always be the best place for tech workers but the US needs to make it easier for all the highly skilled workers that it's attracting to receive the green card.
they want best of the best

the amount of tech jobs is limited

760,000 people trying to get a job in the US....wtf?

Brain drain, bub.

Your entire economy relies on imported, highly skilled workforce from third-world countries, willing to work for peanuts, while your youth is busy smoking pot, sniffing coke, banging chicks, and shooting up schools.

Over 75% of the Silicon Valley consists of Asians, typically Indians, Bengalis, Japanese, Chinese, and Pakistanis.

Heck, I myself work for a white guy as a freelancer 'cause I'm cheap, dependable, and speak 'American.'

Yeah, I can be honest!

Last edited:
Brain drain, bub.

Your entire economy relies on imported, highly skilled workforce from third-world countries, willing to work for peanuts, while your youth is busy smoking pot, sniffing coke, banging chicks, and shooting up schools.

Over 75% of the Silicon Valley consists of Asians, typically Indians, Bengalis, Japanese, Chinese, and Pakistanis.

Heck, I myself work for a white guy as a freelancer 'cause I'm cheap, dependable, and speak 'American.'

Yeah, I can be honest!

This all started due to the dot.com bubble burst.
Colleges “to help people out with their future” :rolleyes1:started discouraging people from getting tech degrees in an Industry with “no future” causing a gap.

Last edited:
they want best of the best

the amount of tech jobs is limited

If the individual can obtain an Above Top Secret clearance to work on the watp field project in orbit

Colleges “to help people out with their future” :rolleyes1:started discouraging people from getting tech degrees in an Industry with “no future” causing a gap.
that was 2002-2010. Computer science enrollment has tripled since then

And it will end with the A.I bubble.

Who needs skilled coders and programmers when an A.I can do what we do within seconds!

Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom