What's new

How to hard sell China's soft power

That's what Gagnam Style is all about.Spreading smiles and pure fun around the world in record time.That's why everybody like it.:cheesy:

Why it is impossible to have Gangnam Style in China.

You become a dissident on house arrest.

baumundboden: Don't dance on the train!

Don't dance on the train!

In China, a mid-20s man who danced on the night train was mistaken for a mentally ill person owing to South Korean singer Psy's horse riding dance.

According to a Chinese media report, on the train K441 heading to Shenzhen, about 5 : 30 am, the security room got a call that a man was dancing with his hands stacked together, apparently he was suffering a seizure with shaking his legs in front of a woman and it appeared that the woman was in trouble.
Security guards were called to the scene and tried to suppress the man. Just then, the women sat in front of him stopped the guards and she said, " He's my husband. He's not insane and he's just dancing the world-famous horse riding dance to take the edge off my anger.", and then the misunderstanding has been cleared up

You get arrested.

Last edited by a moderator:
See,why do you care about American whites opinion anyway.What makes you think their opinion is so important??
Isn't that because you have inferiority complex towards them???

I think you bark onto the wrong tree. That song was first hit on UK board.

Side note, if you are right I am "inforio complexed" why this member "Korean" feels pride just because this song is widespread in UK and US? Was that not this inferior complex?

And he even related to this clown song to "soft power", was that not an inferio complex?

Does a horse riding song can generate huge soft power and even make S. Korea a super power? all these logics are morbid I.M.H.O.

China have produced some of the greatest artist who were more than good ambassador of China's softpower...Jet Li, Chan to name a few....

It's great that Korea got this amazingly catchy song, but it will be not fair to compare the success of that with China and undermine Chian's softpower....

I guess our member "Korean"s hidden intention is to show off this clown song now is a international hit. but you don't have to play down China for doing that out of your inferior complex.

Gangnam style scenario is not something proud, it's the west mocking of your Asian country IMHO. It's obvious only Koreans think otherwise. Try to ask any American whites if he could answer you honestly.

It's absolutely something to be proud off, Why some of you people behave like this.....If pak could have a music video that created this kind of effect on world audience, would't it be great?

Koi kuch aacha kaam karta hai to tum jaise log unko west ki copy karna ka ilzaam lagte ho...This kind of mentality will only do harm in the longer run,

If its important to preserve a culture then It's also important to improvise and present the culture in way that is more identifiable with a larger audience....There is enough space for everything....

Not necessarily because of all the music piracy.

That makes no sense.
Are you saying Chinese artists don't target domestic audiences because of piracy?

Beside, the state is urging them to go overseas, but the artists themselves aren't good enough to go overseas.

The state can't really force talent. It's supply and demand. If the domestic demand is large enough, the talent will cater to that audience.

The main difference between India and China is the inclusiveness. At least that is how west perceives it to be. Inclusive culture can influence people better, because people have natural affinity towards inclusiveness.

Do you honestly think the average concert- or movie-goer in the West thinks about the political setup of the artists' home country?

That makes no sense.
Are you saying Chinese artists don't target domestic audiences because of piracy?
There is surprisingly little money to be made by targeting the domestic market.

The state can't really force talent. It's supply and demand. If the domestic demand is large enough, the talent will cater to that audience.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-...ed-pop-singer-debuts-us-soft-power-drive.html

Pop Singer Ruhan Jia Groomed by China for Global Stardom

“Time to Grow” was produced in Sweden and mixed by Bernard Lohr, who has worked with Celine Dion and Il Divo. A British record company is distributing it. Jia’s manager is a woman from Taiwan who has lived in the U.S. and Europe for years. Jia’s recording contract is with the biggest music company in China.

Her career has the backing of the Chinese government, which desperately wants an officially approved artist to gain the kind of worldwide attention its dissidents usually get.

“Time to Grow” is the first release from China’s Earth’s Music project, which is part of the government’s five-year national economic development plan.

“The government definitely wants to be No. 1 in everything,” says Zang from the front seat of the SUV. “But to find artists who fit in, who speak English, there’s not too many to choose from. Then we heard Ruhan’s song. We hadn’t heard this kind of singing before.”

That same year, Chinese President Hu Jintao made a speech about promoting Chinese culture at home and abroad.

The concept of soft power was popularized in the late 1980s by Harvard professor Joseph Nye. Today, as China confronts Japan over disputed islands in the East China Sea and squabbles with other countries over uninhabited islands in the South China Sea, Nye says Beijing is especially aware of the need to win friends.

“How do you prevent your neighbors from forming coalitions against you?” he says. “By appearing to be a popular culture and an attractive place.”

China lags behind much smaller countries such as South Korea as a cultural force because of its lack of liberty, says Ting Wai, a professor at Hong Kong Baptist University who studies Chinese soft power.

Do you honestly think the average concert- or movie-goer in the West thinks about the political setup of the artists' home country?
It is China's lack of free speech that does not allow the emergence of world class musicians and movies. And Chinese entertainment industry's "Make money quick" mentality also prevent the creation of a competitive content industry.

I think you bark onto the wrong tree. That song was first hit on UK board.

Side note, if you are right I am "inforio complexed" why this member "Korean" feels pride just because this song is widespread in UK and US? Was that not this inferior complex?

And he even related to this clown song to "soft power", was that not an inferio complex?

Does a horse riding song can generate huge soft power and even make S. Korea a super power? all these logics are morbid I.M.H.O.

Its not just US and UK its almost entire world and that is something to be proud of.

China should not worry about its soft-power projection. Visibility of China in international media and Hollywood movies is still way beyond that of Korea.

Visibility of China in international media
Which is very negative. China's negativity is right up there with Iran and North Korea, where China is a totalitarian state that abuses human rights, executes Falun Gong practitioners, and forcibly aborts millions of babies.

Chinese first have to dominate their own market. Their movies should attract more audience in their own country more than they are doing right now. That's how you diffuse your art through your society and then in near by society.

BTW Chinese film makers should try to take a different path like Koreans and Japanese did. They need their own Akiro.

Which is very negative. China's negativity is right up there with Iran and North Korea, where China is a totalitarian state that abuses human rights, executes Falun Gong practitioners, and forcibly aborts millions of babies.

I‘d say you Hatred is enough. You appearance is for purpose of slam either China or Japan. Try to troll enough to more than enough before mods permanently ban you.

Chinese first have to dominate their own market. Their movies should attract more audience in their own country more than they are doing right now. That's how you diffuse your art through your society and then in near by society.

BTW Chinese film makers should try to take a different path like Koreans and Japanese did. They need their own Akiro.

There are cultural niches in the West where Chinese movies are popular. In college, we had friends who would watch old Chinese martial arts movies, complete with shifted dubbed sound, as a drinking game.

In college, we had friends who would watch old Chinese martial arts movies, complete with shifted dubbed sound, as a drinking game.
Those are HK movies in Cantonese, not mainland movies in Mandarin. Totally different movie styles in different languages.

This is not about the government. Even private entertainers will target the largest audience they can which, in China's case, will be the domestic audience since it is large enough.

Bollywood makes movies for the Indian audience, not the world.

i apologise , that made no sense to me. China ,private entertainers?. As stated, entertainment is a largely regulated commodity.
U have to tow the CCP line or get shut down.

Kpop is Western music styles fused with Japanese/Korean motifs
well it depends on how closely u look at it ,from afar ,everything is wester looking ,after all most of em use guitars and drums.

Back
Top Bottom