What's new

'I can't find a job so my parents are paying me to stay home and be a full-time child'

aziqbal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

'I can't find a job so my parents are paying me to stay home and be a full-time child'​

Chinese photographer Litsky Li has joined legions of other young Chinese graduates moving back in with their families to help with chores and looking after the elderly.​

China has been turning to a peculiar practice to help youngsters battle unemployment and at the same time handle the pressure of an ageing population.

Photographer Litsky Li, 21, is one of a growing number of fellow high school graduates who accepted her parents' offer of a guaranteed monthly wage to be a "full-time kid."

The increasingly popular approach has seen legions of youngsters forego a traditional career in exchange for living at home, taking care of the daily chores and looking after the elderly.

Ms Li said she did not want to "compete intensely" with other people her age while looking for a job and instead opted to "lie flat", a popular phrase used to describe living a more simple life away from gruelling working hours.

She now spends her days grocery shopping for her family, looking after the home and acting as carer for her elderly grandmother who suffers from dementia.

china news unemployment alternative jobs

Young Chinese workers are picking up offers to be paid by their parents to stay home (Image: GETTY)

In exchange for her work, her parents pay her a monthly salary of £649 (6,000 yuan).

Ms Li told CNN: "The reason why I am at home is because I can’t bear the pressure of going to school or work.

"I don’t want to compete intensely with my peers. So I choose to ‘lie flat’ completely. I don’t necessarily need a higher-paid job or a better life."

She is part of a growing community of so-called "full-time sons and daughters", a label that first appeared on the Chinese social media platform Douban only a few months ago.

But rather than being driven to a simpler life with their families, many youngsters said unemployment is the main reason why they are increasingly staying home.

china full time sons and daughters economy

The full-time sons and daughters help with house chores and look after their elders (Image: GETTY)
According to the latest data available from June, unemployment among 16 to 24 years olds hit 21.3 percent in urban areas, a record high for China.

The economic struggles of younger Chinese workers are just the latest headache Beijing has been left grappling with since the coronavirus pandemic.

Domestic consumption has significantly dropped since 2020 as the economy struggles to return to pre-pandemic rates, private businesses have retreated and the property market has significantly been lagging.

And with the "lying flat" trend becoming increasingly popular, economists have suggested the true jobless rate could be even higher than what data has shown in recent months.

Peking University professor Zhang Dandan estimated that the true rate could have been as high as 46.5 percent in March once the number of full-time children is included in the calculations.
china economy post covid recovery

Competition for jobs has become brutal after the pandemic (Image: GETTY)

Online communities have been spreading bringing together young Chinese who have joined in with the new trend, with more than 40,000 posts bearing the “full-time sons and daughters" hashtag appearing on the popular lifestyle site Xiaohongshu since last year.

The movement has mostly appealed to younger generations in their 20s who no longer follow the same approach as their predecessors when it comes to getting ahead in the workplace.

Rather than focussing on their studies and working hard, spending little time at home and still relying on their families, the full-time children are more family and home-oriented while not bowing to the pressure of full-time employment.

Ms Li added: "If you look at us from a different perspective, we are no different than the young people who have a job.

"They go to work in cities and earn a monthly salary of 3,000 to 4,000 yuan (£326 to £435). But they can’t support themselves at all.

"They still eat at their parents’ house, live with them or have them pay for their apartments or cars. Their living expenses are partially paid by parents."

Nancy Chen also turned to the newborn profession after China's strict post-Covid measures put an end to her career as a tutor as private companies were hit by a regulatory crackdown campaign.

when walmart orders stop or slow down China experiences unemployment. As more and more companies diversify their supply chain and mfr, this trend will intensify. CCp policies under Xi Jingping have truly screwed the chinese people

'I can't find a job so my parents are paying me to stay home and be a full-time child'​

Chinese photographer Litsky Li has joined legions of other young Chinese graduates moving back in with their families to help with chores and looking after the elderly.​

China has been turning to a peculiar practice to help youngsters battle unemployment and at the same time handle the pressure of an ageing population.

Photographer Litsky Li, 21, is one of a growing number of fellow high school graduates who accepted her parents' offer of a guaranteed monthly wage to be a "full-time kid."

The increasingly popular approach has seen legions of youngsters forego a traditional career in exchange for living at home, taking care of the daily chores and looking after the elderly.

Ms Li said she did not want to "compete intensely" with other people her age while looking for a job and instead opted to "lie flat", a popular phrase used to describe living a more simple life away from gruelling working hours.

She now spends her days grocery shopping for her family, looking after the home and acting as carer for her elderly grandmother who suffers from dementia.

china news unemployment alternative jobs

Young Chinese workers are picking up offers to be paid by their parents to stay home (Image: GETTY)

In exchange for her work, her parents pay her a monthly salary of £649 (6,000 yuan).

Ms Li told CNN: "The reason why I am at home is because I can’t bear the pressure of going to school or work.

"I don’t want to compete intensely with my peers. So I choose to ‘lie flat’ completely. I don’t necessarily need a higher-paid job or a better life."

She is part of a growing community of so-called "full-time sons and daughters", a label that first appeared on the Chinese social media platform Douban only a few months ago.

But rather than being driven to a simpler life with their families, many youngsters said unemployment is the main reason why they are increasingly staying home.

china full time sons and daughters economy

The full-time sons and daughters help with house chores and look after their elders (Image: GETTY)
According to the latest data available from June, unemployment among 16 to 24 years olds hit 21.3 percent in urban areas, a record high for China.

The economic struggles of younger Chinese workers are just the latest headache Beijing has been left grappling with since the coronavirus pandemic.

Domestic consumption has significantly dropped since 2020 as the economy struggles to return to pre-pandemic rates, private businesses have retreated and the property market has significantly been lagging.

And with the "lying flat" trend becoming increasingly popular, economists have suggested the true jobless rate could be even higher than what data has shown in recent months.

Peking University professor Zhang Dandan estimated that the true rate could have been as high as 46.5 percent in March once the number of full-time children is included in the calculations.
china economy post covid recovery

Competition for jobs has become brutal after the pandemic (Image: GETTY)

Online communities have been spreading bringing together young Chinese who have joined in with the new trend, with more than 40,000 posts bearing the “full-time sons and daughters" hashtag appearing on the popular lifestyle site Xiaohongshu since last year.

The movement has mostly appealed to younger generations in their 20s who no longer follow the same approach as their predecessors when it comes to getting ahead in the workplace.

Rather than focussing on their studies and working hard, spending little time at home and still relying on their families, the full-time children are more family and home-oriented while not bowing to the pressure of full-time employment.

Ms Li added: "If you look at us from a different perspective, we are no different than the young people who have a job.

"They go to work in cities and earn a monthly salary of 3,000 to 4,000 yuan (£326 to £435). But they can’t support themselves at all.

"They still eat at their parents’ house, live with them or have them pay for their apartments or cars. Their living expenses are partially paid by parents."

Nancy Chen also turned to the newborn profession after China's strict post-Covid measures put an end to her career as a tutor as private companies were hit by a regulatory crackdown campaign.

To better qualify the statement, it should be:

I can't find a job I wanted so my parents are paying me to stay home and be a full-time child​

China parent has very very fat pension if they work for government and can afford to pay their babies.

The pension is adjusted yearly base on salary.

This is good to be cared by your own kids and money stays at home.. Chinese market is like any other market where low skill to high skil jobs are available.

If they get paid, even if by their parent, and if they are doing useful work, then shouldn't that be considered gainfull employment as well?

If they get paid, even if by their parent, and if they are doing useful work, then shouldn't that be considered gainfull employment as well?

This is a very depressing job that will be look down by relative,

This is a very depressing job that will be look down by relative,
No its not. I look after my parents and it is my honor to do. I love doing this. But nevertheless it is up to local cultures. I belive Your parents are lifetime safety lock to your family system. They gel your family and keep them United. In UK and Europe people get paid for taking care of their disabled family members.

China is shooting itself in the foot

Chinese students are unemployed, but instead of supporting local students, many universities and companies in China are supporting chimpanzees from abroad.

History shows that superpowers are not defeated by external military power, they are destroyed by internal problems.

View attachment 943081
No you are wrong. If they highering people from abroad that means gaining influence in so abroad countries

China is shooting itself in the foot

Chinese students are unemployed, but instead of supporting local students, many colleges, universities and companies in China are supporting chimpanzees from abroad. The Chinese government also issued many policies to support students from third world countries to study and work in China.

History shows that superpowers are not defeated by enemy armies, they are destroyed by internal problems.

View attachment 943081
u make good point , theres actually no way to destroy a massive civilization like china unless its from withi by people like terror feudal xi

The unemployed are mostly the liberal arts and humanity type. They will go online and be negative energy for whole society.

I always feel arts people VERY stupid but they feel they are clever.

Last time engineering student go take arts "Introduction IT" and no need study get ace. They come take our engine Maths 1 and run drop out after one lecture.

But these people are always being given power in companies due to their stupidity. MBA are arts and they lord over engineers. I guess bosses hate smart people.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom