Aprox: 50 Units
Type : Fighter Bomber
Origin: U,K

is

Dassault Ouragan(Toofani)

Total : 104 units
Type : Fighter Bomber
Origin: France
Status: Withdrawn from frontline service in 1965, used as trainer and target tug for few more years.

300px-Dassault_Myst%C3%A8re_IV.jpg

Dassault Mystère IV

Total : 104 Units
Type: Fighter Bomber
Origin: France

thunderbolts-hunter-08.jpg

Hawker Hunter

Total : 165 F-56, 22 T-66 trainers
Type: Fighter Bomber
Origin: U.K
Status: Last unit retired 1996, retired from active duty in late 80’s

Ajeet+E1979.jpg

Folland Gnat

Total : 68 Units
Type light fighter a/c
Origin: U.K

Ajeet (Indian variant of Gnat)

Total:155 Units

Type:Lightweight ground-attack and interceptor

h2.jpg

MiG-23BN
Total : 90 Units
Type : ground attack aircraft
Origin: USSR

Mig 23 - MF

Total : 40 Units
Type: Air defence interceptor

Mig 23 UB

Total : 15 Units
Type: Two seat Trainer

Liberator13.jpg

Consolidated B-24 Liberator

Total : 42 Units
Type : Heavy Bomber
Origin: USA

HAL%20HF-24t%20Schlei%C3%9Fheim%20klein.jpg.2666036.jpg

HAL HF-24 Marut

Total : 147 Units
Type : Fighter bomber
Origin : India

su7e.jpg

Sukhoi Su-7 Fitter

Total : 140 Units
Type : Fighter/Bomber

0419939.jpg

English Electric Canberra

Total : 150 Units
Type: Bomber/Recon/Trainer
Origin: UK

mig25f7vq.jpg

MiG-25RBK

Total : 6
Type: Single-seat dedicated Elint/ reconnaissance aircraft

MIG-25 RU

Total : 02 Units
Type: Recon Trainer
Retired: 1999

what a beautiful trip down the memory lane. Nostalgia!

I have always liked the folland Gnat/Ajeet, wonder if there were any attempts to develop the system into a lead in trainer for IAF...

I have always liked the folland Gnat/Ajeet, wonder if there were any attempts to develop the system into a lead in trainer for IAF...

There was some thought given to it. To the extent that a two-seater Ajeet was even made but the basic airframe was just not equal to the task, being just too compact. Plus there was the then-perennial problem of being able to source a suitable engine.

In the meanwhile in UK the Folland Midge (the original Gnat) got re-invented as the Hawk trainer. Which eventually reached the IAF. So in a way; the Gnat did get re-incarnated as a trainer with the IAF.

Why IAF retired MIG-23 Air Defense version and SU-7s before MIG-21s? they all belong to same generation then why they keep MIG-21s, are they better than previously mentioned planes?

Fairchild Packet - at Leh.

The Packets also flew in AMX-13 light tanks and field guns to Chushul during the bitter fighting south of Pangong Lake during the 1962 Indo-China War.

DROSCSy.jpg

IK466.jpg

C119-Leh.jpg

C-119 Packet with a Dorsal Jet pod

A close up of a Fairchild C-119G, known as the Packet in Indian Air Force with a dorsal J-39 Jet Pack. The Packet is flying solely on the Jet Pack power and has its two propellers fully 'feathered' - i.e. engines stopped and propeller pitch set to prevent 'wind milling'.

Packet1.jpg

Last edited:
De Havilland DHC-4 Caribou

The Caribou was another aircraft with outstanding STOL capabilities. As with the Otter, it was employed extensively in the North East. No.33 Squadron "The Caribous" was raised on this aircraft and would operate it for more than 25 Years. It was also used in a bombing role during the 1971 War.

BM773.jpg

A Caribou lands at the Walong ALG in 1963. Note the Otter parked midway alongside the runway. Even today one of the Caribous which became unserviceable can be seen at Walong in a makeshift 'memorial'.

Caribou-Landing.jpg

BM772-774.jpg

Last edited:
Why IAF retired MIG-23 Air Defense version and SU-7s before MIG-21s? they all belong to same generation then why they keep MIG-21s, are they better than previously mentioned planes?

Yes, the MiG-21s are undoubtedly better. Actually the MiG-21 came into existence even before the MiG-23s did. The A2G variant, the MiG-27s are still in service but have started to get retired.

How come you guys are now posting pictures from bharat rakshak? Earlier the forum used to forbid that and give a stern warning - did they forget to keep that provision, when they upgraded the forum? Or did they start looking kindly at BR?

Douglas C-47 Dakota

The Gooney bird was the first major transport aircraft inducted into the fledgling Indian Air Force. No.12 Squadron was the first unit to requip with this aircraft way back in 1945. The Dakota was at the forefront of operations for the next four decades.

HJ217.jpg

This photograph, from the collection of late Gp Capt K L Bhatia shows Dakota VP911 of No.12 Squadron idling its engines during a refugee evacuation sortie at Poonch.

VP911-Poonch.jpg

This much reproduced photograph purports to show an Indian Air Force Dakota at Leh in 1948. Research is currently on to date this photograph and identify the officers in them. The picture apparently shows the first Jeep to be airlifted into Leh. The aircraft is a HJ2xx series aircraft, but it is difficult to pinpoint if it was taken during the Kashmir Operations or later.
Dak-Leh.jpg

How come you guys are now posting pictures from bharat rakshak? Earlier the forum used to forbid that and give a stern warning - did they forget to keep that provision, when they upgraded the forum? Or did they start looking kindly at BR?

Wasnt aware of this..

Wasnt aware of this..

Yep. On a few occasions I have unwittingly tried to link to BR, and got an automated message from the forum that I may be banned for that. Once I was merely trying to post a beautiful pic of an MKI.

What happened, @Oscar? Change of heart, or inadvertence?

Yep. On a few occasions I have unwittingly tried to link to BR, and got an automated message from the forum that I may be banned for that. Once I was merely trying to post a beautiful pic of an MKI.

What happened, @Oscar? Change of heart, or inadvertence?

Maybe either of the two. But all things said; ONLY the pictures from BR are worth posting, some are really good. the views are best left on a Garbage heap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom