What's new

ICC Men's Cricket World Cup

Rohit Sharma: 'I don't think there is a favourite or an underdog'​

The India captain had to deal with questions good, serious and leaning towards ridiculous on the eve of the Pakistan match - and he did it all with aplomb

Sidharth Monga
13-Oct-2023
https://www.espncricinfo.com/cricket-videos/rohit-the-guys-in-the-team-love-big-grounds-1402983
A day before a big match against Pakistan can be challenging for the most seasoned of India captains. The match attracts press and attention from everywhere. Rohit Sharma, though, came out of this press conference having proved himself both as a statesman and as a cricketer, who has no time for nonsense. From the sublime to the mildly ridiculous, Rohit handled everything with aplomb.

Let's get the mildly ridiculous out of the way first, shall we? Midway through the press conference, a reporter asked him about tears in his eyes during the national anthem. "What are you talking about?" Rohit asked. "Tears in eyes?"

Rohit lit up the room with that and also went on to say he couldn't deny he does feel emotional when the national anthem is playing.

There were serious questions too, which needed delicate handling. Playing out one of the biggest rivalries in all sport, in front of arguably the biggest crowd in all sport - almost all of whom are expecting you to win - in a stadium named after your prime minister... When does the home advantage start becoming a disadvantage? It is a fair question. Rohit took a pause to reflect on the gravity of it.

Then he said: "I don't think there is any disadvantage. You feel nice about playing in front of your home crowd. They get behind you no matter what the situation of the game is. My overall experience playing, not just in India, even outside India, we get massive support. So, I have so far never experienced where the crowd has gone against us or anything like that.

Let's get the mildly ridiculous out of the way first, shall we? Midway through the press conference, a reporter asked him about tears in his eyes during the national anthem. "What are you talking about?" Rohit asked. "Tears in eyes?"
Dumbass reporters trying to get views, like wtf man haha

I just hope that law of average doesn't catch up with Team India today. Fingers crossed 🤞 as the last 5 ODIs have been in India's favor with 4-0 win.

I just hope that law of average doesn't catch up with Team India today. Fingers crossed 🤞 as the last 5 ODIs have been in India's favor with 4-0 win.

Not with current Pakistani bowling trundlers .
On this pitch india can chase down 400 easily

I’ll be surprised if Pakistan takes more than 3 wickets today .

Not with current Pakistani bowling trundlers .
On this pitch india can chase down 400 easily

I’ll be surprised if Pakistan takes more than 3 wickets today .

I think the pitch will behave differently under lights. At least for initial 10-15 overs, it will seam. Unless dew comes early, this will be a good contest. Field first wasn't a very good decision 😕.

I think the pitch will behave differently under lights. At least for initial 10-15 overs, it will seam. Unless dew comes early, this will be a good contest. Field first wasn't a very good decision 😕.

Decision was strange as Pakistan are comfortable batting first .
Pakistan bowling will need all the help it can get .

Here’s to a good contest

Pakistan (33.1/50 ov) 166/5

why Pakistan looses wicket every time when they seems to going towards good score ?

Now, Pakistan needs 8 per over for 300+ score

Decision was strange as Pakistan are comfortable batting first .
Pakistan bowling will need all the help it can get .

Here’s to a good contest

Pakistan team is really most unpredictable. Here I was thinking their bowling unit is a little vulnerable whilst their batting was in superb shape. Alas, we have a mayhem of a batting display today. Now I think it's going to be a one sided affair 😕.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom