What's new

IDEX UAE 2013: News, Updates & Discussions

Middle East

UAE signs $1.42 bn defense deals
February 18, 2013 05:31 PM

Visitors look at a U.S. Marines helicopter on display during the International Defence Exhibition and Conference (IDEX) at the Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre February 17, 2013. REUTERS/Ben Job

ABU DHABI: The United Arab Emirates said on Monday it signed 17 defence contracts to purchase military equipment worth $1.4 billion including US manufactured Predator drones.

The contracts were signed during the ongoing International Defence Exhibition & Conference, IDEX.

"The total value of today's contracts has reached 5.2 billion dirhams" ($1.42 billion), said Staff Major General Obaid al-Ketbi, chairman of IDEX, which is held every two years in Abu Dhabi.

Speaking to reporters on the second day of Middle East's biggest defence show, Ketabi said the deals include a 722 million-dirham ($196-million) contract agreed with US firm General Atomics for the purchase of Predator drones with complete integrated logistic support systems.

He said the UAE armed forces also signed an agreement with the US-based Oshkosh firm worth 1.4 billion dirhams ($381.5 million) to purchase all-terrain military vehicles.

Another deal to purchase Turkish CIRIT laser-guided rockets worth 720 million dirhams ($196.2 million) was also signed, he added.

Oil-rich UAE invests heavily in defence, just like most other Gulf states that are mainly wary of potential hostilities from neighbouring Iran.

Read more: UAE signs $1.42 bn defense deals | Business , Middle East | THE DAILY STAR
(The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: Breaking News, Lebanon News, Middle East News & World News | THE DAILY STAR)

Shall I post more pictures?:coffee:

Please....

Mr. Lütfi Varoğlu, Head of International Cooperation at Undersecretariat for Defence Industries, SSM informed us about Turkish Defence Industries export figures in 2012, export strategies and capabilities, Turkey-UAE relations in defence and aerospace industry, joint R&D activities with UAE and the future of UAE-Turkey export activities to the third countries for Defence Turkey Magazine.

We are also giving great importance to IDEF 2013 that will be organized in İstanbul in May. IDEF is proved to be one of the most successful defence and security cooperation events in the region, attracting more exhibitors and visitors every two years. We are inviting all our future partners to join us in this event who share the same cooperation vision with us.

We also encourage our companies to join industry and capability Work Groups such as NATO and ASD; keeping them up to date about the cooperation possibilities and seeking more efficient mechanisms for them to bemore active in those platforms through the guidance and help of our cooperation offices. We also hold Defence Industry Days in collaboration with other countries focusing on joint development, production and seeking co-marketing opportunities for the third countries.

We do also try to utilise other cooperation channels and platforms such as the D8, Arab League, Gulf Cooperation Council, American Turkish Council. This year, for example, within the organisation of International Cooperation Platform-Bosphorus Regional Cooperation Summit-2012, a defence and security panel was organized for the first time. We had the honour to host distinguished panellists and discuss defence cooperation.

The third was the establishment of necessary organisations,marketing and financial incentives. For this reason, we have established Defence Industry Exporters Association in 2011, with full support and coordination of the Ministry of Economy. As I mentioned earlier, the Association organised the Exploratory Conference that we, defence industry representatives and related governmental officials, all came together to discuss and coordinate our efforts.

We are also working on mechanisms to offer our potential customers government to government defence sales like FMS. In addition, a credit mechanism has been established through Turkish Exim Bank in line with our defence export strategies.

Defence Turkey: How do you assess UAE and Turkey relations in defence and aerospace industry?

UAE has always been a good friend and ally for Turkey in terms of cooperation in many aspects. As to defence cooperation, we took the first big step with the procurement of armoured vehicles by UAE at the end of 1990s. During the last couple of years with the support of high level visits from both sides, we have had the chance to explore each other’s capabilities. Those official visits and also defence exhibitions that were organised by both sides paved the way to better understand mutual expectations and to further cooperation in many dimensions. During IDEF 2009, an LOI was signed between SSM and Tawazun Holding to enhance defence cooperation, which was the first LOI of that kind. After that signature, we have had many meetings bilaterally and decided to work closer for concrete projects. Now, we have an SSM office in Tawazun building and Tawazun Holding has an office in Ankara. We keep working on some cooperation topics that we will be able to announce in 2013. Therefore, I can say that we have taken our defence cooperation to a whole new and beneficial level for both parties and we are both eager to strive for this aim.

Defence Turkey: Could you please enlighten us about Turkey’s activities and achievements realized in recent years in UAE?

One of the recent achievements of our industry is the contract signed between Abu Dhabi Ship Building Company and Yonca_Onuk for the procurement of 34 MRTPs, fast patrol boats with STAMPs, Stabilized Machine Gun Platforms by ASELSAN. Following this, ASELSAN also signed another contract for additional STAMP and STOP systems and finally, ASELSAN established a joint venture with International Golden Group of UAE for cooperation. Lately, Roketsan has had an agreement with Tawazun for Cirit 2,75" laser guided missile. In light of these developments, we believe that the cooperation programmes with UAE shall increase. We hope that we will be able to see further cooperation issues in many different areas like communication, Naval and air platforms, and armoured vehicles. We are also looking forward to see the results of the UAE’s 8x8 armoured vehicle programme.

Defence Turkey: What are your plans and approach about joint production, joint R&D activities with UAE?

We have already shared our project portfolio with UAE. We have established different channels such as military dialogues and meetings. Also Tawazun and SSM have established a channel and so we are exchanging all kinds of technological issues and new programmes. The decision regarding the joint production and joint R&D is up to the efficiency and benefits of both countries. We have some topics in our agenda. As I mentioned, Cirit Programme was initiated at the end of 2012. Hopefully we will have further programmes to be announced in 2013 for joint activities in UAE and also UAE activities in Turkey.

Defence Turkey: How do you assess the future of UAE-Turkey export activities to the third countries in the region?

I think we have to look this topic from another perspective. Turkey has always been a good ally and friend to all GCC countries and in the region we have always had good relations with each of them. You know, speaking of bilateral relations of course we have different programmes with different countries. But in terms of cooperation with GCC countries we are working on some possible projects and methods that we can utilize. Turkey and UAE both are ready to support each other and come up with the reasonable solutions for the third countries. I think we will able to see some results very soon because UAE and Turkey are both very active in diplomacy and also in technological innovation and investments.

http://bit.ly/c25MCx

Some special highlights from interview...

"We have already shared our project portfolio with UAE. We have established different channels such as military dialogues and meetings. Also Tawazun and SSM have established a channel and so we are exchanging all kinds of technological issues and new programmes. The decision regarding the joint production and joint R&D is up to the efficiency and benefits of both countries. We have some topics in our agenda. As I mentioned, Cirit Programme was initiated at the end of 2012. Hopefully we will have further programmes to be announced in 2013 for joint activities in UAE and also UAE activities in Turkey.

I think we will able to see some results very soon because UAE and Turkey are both very active in diplomacy and also in technological innovation and investments."

-) Pat attention to signals. Most probably, UAE and Turkey will sign some partnership agreements regarding some specific programs but waiting for IDEF-2013 defence fair to be held in May.

A brain storming !!!

If the likely new joint R&D and collaboration will be made with Roketsan again and announced in IDEF-2013, It should be an ongoing program.

-105mm, 122mm and 300mm rockets ordered by UAE
-UAE received 105 and 120mm rocket technology
-UAE joined development of K+ guided 300mm rocket program
-Development of Cirit semi active laser guided missile completed in 2012 and UAE ordered first (Almost similar times with Turkish Army).

Roketsan's current known ongoing programs,

-Low Altitude VL Air Defence Missile

-Medium altitude VL Air Defence Missile

-SOM Cruise Missile Family

-UMTAS Long Range AT missile

-OMTAS tri-pod launchable AT missile

-KMTAS Javelin equivalent AT missile

Hope to see the new collaboration news between UAE and Turkey in a short time...

IDEX_2013.jpg

UAE Armed Forces conclude 17 deals worth Dhs 5.2bln
ABU DHABI - A total of DHS5.2 billion of defence contracts was sealed by the UAE with 17 international and national contractors, with the US Wisconsin-based defence contractor Oshkosh Corporation winning the biggest deal of Dhs1.4 billion to provide the UAE Armed Forces with 750 Mine Resistant Ambush Protected All-Terrain Vehicles (M-ATV), according to Major General Obaid Al Ketbi, Chairman of the organising committee for the International Defence Exhibition and Conference

AD20110225940725-February%2024,%2020.jpg

The UAE also signed a Dhs 722 million contract with the UAE’s International Golden Group (IGG) to purchase Predator-EPs and integrated technical support, Al-Ketbi said in a press conference at the venue of IDEX 2013.
"We have been previously restricted to whom we could sell the aircraft," said Christopher Ames, the director of strategic development at General Atomics. "But we have worked very hard to get the authorisation to sell the Predator XP."
The unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) is one of the most advanced defence systems in the field of intelligence, reconnaissance and surveillance.

Another contract worth 472.7 million was signed by the Armed forces with Russia’s KBP to buy different types of ammunition.

The third largest deal worth Dhs 720 million was won by Tawazun Holding, the UAE’s strategic investment holding company focused on defense and specialized manufacturing, to supply CIRIT laser guided missiles. CIRIT, manufactured by Rokestan, is the first Turkish-made laser-guided missile.

@proka89 There was also some Roketsan involvement in the ALAS if i am not wrong, Can you give me some details..

Last edited by a moderator:
@BLACKEAGLE Can you give me some example of which platform the ROKETSAN CIRIT will be used for? UAV?

@BLACKEAGLE Can you give me some example of which platform the ROKETSAN CIRIT will be used for? UAV?

I have no idea, I am still looking for, those pictures were taken by a UAE member in an Arab defense forum.

Well done UAE/Turkey, I love it::yahoo:

Arabian Jobaria

jobaria.jpg

59607_original.jpg

IBvbb.jpg

Roketsan's current known ongoing programs,

-Low Altitude VL Air Defence Missile

-Medium altitude VL Air Defence Missile

-SOM Cruise Missile Family

-UMTAS Long Range AT missile

-OMTAS tri-pod launchable AT missile

-KMTAS Javelin equivalent AT missile

Hope to see the new collaboration news between UAE and Turkey in a short time...

If Roketsan introduce SOM cruise missiles instead of AT or SAM programs, It means likely further joint production/Tech. collaboration will be for SOM (?)

xx47O.jpg

Back
Top Bottom