What's new

Implementation of Visa on Arrival: Tourists' arrivals up by 1214 times

anilindia

Reaction score
NEW DELHI: Number of tourists arriving in India has increased by several times as compared to previous year after the launch of Visa on Arrival (VoA) enabled Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) scheme for 43 countries.

A total of 25,023 tourists arrived in India in January this year using the VoA enabled ETA scheme as against 1903 in the same month last year, registering a growth of 1214.9 per cent growth, according to tourism ministry data.

Government extended the VoA enabled ETA facility for 43 countries in November 2014. Prior to it, the VoA scheme was in operation for 12 countries only.

While maximum tourists came from the US (23.71 per cent), followed by Republic of Korea (18.26 per cent), Russian Federation (14.06 per cent), Ukraine (9.99 per cent), Australia (8.83 per cent) and Germany (6.53 per cent).

Implementation of Visa on Arrival: Tourists' arrivals up by 1214 times - TOI Mobile | The Times of India Mobile Site

1214 percent is still 12 times and I confirm I have been seeing a lot more tourists in Delhi now a days. Previously you could see the tourists in places like India gate, Lotus temple , Pahar Ganj and then they go straight to Jaipur/Udaipur for camel back rides/old castles etc.

But now I see about 10-12 tourists at metro stations like Hauz Khas every time I go there. It wasn't the case 6 months ago. Also most of the tourists are white and only a few are Black. The east Asian tourists are always using the tourists bus and never to be seen at metro stations. Where as the European and African tourists like to travel in a small group of 2-3 and use public transport as well.

Its comparing VOA figures before and after extension to other countries.
This does not mean that the total number of tourists has gone up by 1214%. Those that went through getting a visa via the embassy route now come via VOA.
Its the total tourist figures that can reflect if there has been an improvement or just mostly static

Not only tourists from Europe or US prefer to come to India but also peoples from GCC, as their usual trip to Europe or US etc become boring.

There is one question that just popped into my mind; as a person from a tourism intensive state I want to know when will the government categorise hotels as a part of infrastructure rather than luxury goods which makes it heavily taxable.

This will further boost investment in hotel chains & make it easier for tourists to come to India.

Also there should be a single window security clearance for tourists coming to travel across India.

There is one question that just popped into my mind; as a person from a tourism intensive state I want to know when will the government categorise hotels as a part of infrastructure rather than luxury goods which makes it heavily taxable.

This will further boost investment in hotel chains & make it easier for tourists to come to India.

Also there should be a single window security clearance for tourists coming to travel across India.
Post in mygov

Good point. There should be a convergence of all related tracks. Eg. For tourism, it shouldn't be only the tourist sites but along with that the related tracks like connectivity, local transport, hotels for boarding and lodging, approachable n secure policing, information/awareness centers, marketing, cleanliness etc should also be developed in parallel.

Back
Top Bottom