What's new

In a first, Lithium reserve found in Jammu and Kashmir

Of course if you can, but lithium alone is not enought to make EV battery

The majority material neded is Nickel, and there is Cobalt as well.

India will need to mine the Lithium and process it further ( refining )
Australia is the leader in this field. We can ask for their help. LFP batteries don't need Nickel or Cobalt. We should spend money on R&D of LFP batteries & Lithium refining.

Australia is the leader in this field. We can ask for their help. LFP batteries don't need Nickel or Cobalt. We should spend money on R&D of LFP batteries & Lithium refining.
German also has made research not to use Lithium.

The biggest battery producers currently are Korean (LG Chem ) and Chinese (CATL)

The Geological Survey of India (GSI) has found lithium reserves in Jammu and Kashmir for the first time, Vivek Bharadwaj, secretary of the Union ministry of mines, said on February 9.

Speaking at the 62nd Central Geological Programming Board (CGPB) meeting, Bharadwaj said, “GSI has, for the first time, established lithium inferred resources (G3) of 5.9 million tons in Salal-Haimana area of Reasi District of Jammu and Kashmir. I congratulate GSI for realising the commitment made by the Central government for auction of 500 blocks by submitting 287 geological memorandum and 195 G2 and G3 reports to the state government since 2015. But, GSI should carry forward this momentum and continue the field programmes with the same vigor.”
Moneycontrol GET LIVE MARKET QUOTES & NEWS
4.3DOWNLOAD APP

Moneycontrol

HomeNews
BUSINESS
In a first, Lithium reserve found in Jammu and Kashmir: Vivek Bharadwaj, secretary, ministry of mines
SWETA GOSWAMI FEB 09, 2023 / 08:31 PM IST

In the coming financial year (2023-24), the government is going to focus on exploration of strategic and critical minerals, including fertilizer minerals.

Representative image.
The Geological Survey of India (GSI) has found lithium reserves in Jammu and Kashmir for the first time, Vivek Bharadwaj, secretary of the Union ministry of mines, said on February 9.

Speaking at the 62nd Central Geological Programming Board (CGPB) meeting, Bharadwaj said, “GSI has, for the first time, established lithium inferred resources (G3) of 5.9 million tons in Salal-Haimana area of Reasi District of Jammu and Kashmir. I congratulate GSI for realising the commitment made by the Central government for auction of 500 blocks by submitting 287 geological memorandum and 195 G2 and G3 reports to the state government since 2015. But, GSI should carry forward this momentum and continue the field programmes with the same vigor.”

Lithium is used mainly in the battery industry which is growing exponentially in India, given the government’s push for electric vehicles. It is also used for other battery storage systems such as in the electricity sector. The Government on May 12, 2021 approved the Production Linked Incentive (PLI) Scheme for manufacturing of Advance Chemistry Cell (ACC) in the country. The total outlay of the scheme is Rs. 18,100 crores for a period of five years.

He later said that in the coming financial year (2023-24), the government is going to focus on exploration of strategic and critical minerals, including fertilizer minerals. “GSI is taking up 966 programmes comprising 318 mineral exploration projects including 12 marine mineral investigation projects. Major thrust has been given on the exploration of strategic - critical and fertilizer minerals. A total of 115 projects on strategic and critical minerals including 16 projects on fertilizer minerals have been formulated. In addition, 55 programmes on geo-informatics, 140 programmes on fundamental and multidisciplinary geosciences and 155 programs for training and institutional capacity building have also been taken up,” he said.
At the meeting, not only the report on lithium in Jammu-Kashmir was handed over, but 15 other resource bearing geological reports (G2 & G3 stage) and 35 Geological memorandums were also handed over to the respective state governments. “Of these 51 mineral blocks, 5 blocks pertain to gold and other blocks pertain to commodities like potash, molybdenum, base metals etc. spread across 11 states of Jammu & Kashmir (UT), Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu and Telangana. The blocks were prepared based on the work carried out by GSI from field seasons 2018-19 to till date,” the ministry later said in a statement.

Apart from these, 17 reports of coal and lignite with a total resource of 7897 million tons were also handed over to ministry of coal. Seven publications on different themes and intervention areas in which GSI operates were also released during the meeting.
Hope this is true .

German also has made research not to use Lithium.

The biggest battery producers currently are Korean (LG Chem ) and Chinese (CATL)
I am not disputing Chinese capabilities but Australia currently holds the best expertise and most patients in Lithium mining and refining. As for cell manufacturing, I would like India to develop its own LFP cell technology with foreign help and R&D. I won't mind Chinese FDI in cell manufacturing to give it scale and Economy but mining & refining must stay within Indian entities.

India can export it to pakistan at a discount.

The ore deposits actually originate in the Hindukush ( pun intended) range.
We are aware of it, and we also know we have a much bigger portion of it.
We are however not in mood to let foreign companies mine it and use it.

True. Indians need to learn from the Pakistanis about how not to be fooled by the politicians.
Please don't do that.
and You don't need to compare everything with Pakistan,
When you Indians will come out of this complex?

Of course if you can, but lithium alone is not enought to make EV battery

The majority material neded is Nickel, and there is Cobalt as well.

India will need to mine the Lithium and process it further ( refining )

Modi ka aik aur chamatkar. Modi knows how to deal with dumb indians.
This is Modi's plan all along which you dumb people don't know. He knew the Lithium reserves are there but kept under lid and abrogated article 370 and 35A which removed special status of Kashmir.

This is Modi's plan all along which you dumb people don't know. He knew the Lithium reserves are there but kept under lid and abrogated article 370 and 35A which removed special status of Kashmir.

Good times.

North east is pretty much unexplored, I won't be surprised if we find some oil reserves there, and around Andaman Nicobar islands.

That's clearly false or fake.

Mineral Commodity Summaries 2022 - Lithium (usgs.gov)
Identified lithium resources in the United States—from continental brines, geothermal brines, hectorite, oilfield brines, pegmatites, and searlesite—are 9.1 million tons. Identified lithium resources in other countries have been revised to 80 million tons. Identified lithium resources are distributed as follows: Bolivia, 21 million tons; Argentina, 19 million tons; Chile, 9.8 million tons; Australia, 7.3 million tons; China, 5.1 million tons; Congo (Kinshasa), 3 million tons; Canada, 2.9 million tons; Germany, 2.7 million tons; Mexico, 1.7 million tons; Czechia, 1.3 million tons; Serbia, 1.2 million tons; Russia, 1 million tons...

Also, GSI discovery makes India 7th largest Lithium resource | India News - Times of India (indiatimes.com)

Good times.

North east is pretty much unexplored, I won't be surprised if we find some oil reserves there, and around Andaman Nicobar islands.
There was a news about Oil discovery in Rajasthan, almost a decade back if am not wrong.
Don't think anything happened there, and no news after that. I think it's some Cairns or some such firm, who did the discovery.
God knows what happened, and there was also talk of Shale gas and the discovery of oil by Reliance in Andhra.

Somehow I feel our Governments, haven't done aggressive search for these kind of reserves.

There was talk about North Eastern Oil back then as well, and something similar about Thorium reserves in India. No news on Thorium reactors after some media hype back then .. hope this Government does some work, on developing these reserves.

Maybe US wants to form a secure supply chain of lithium between allies.

Lithium is the new oil. :D
But the response is too quick. I think US was already informed about this discovery months ago, they were just waiting for GSI to make a public statement before they can start a formal dialogue on this. A formal foreign visit takes months ago scheduling.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom