What's new

India abandons spy satellite launch under US pressure

KENT

BANNED
Reaction score
TechSAR was to be launched with Israeli help last month

NEW DELHI: India’s strategic space-based surveillance (SBS) programme has suffered a huge setback.

Following last-minute US pressure, the launch of an Indo-Israeli spy satellite with synthetic aperture radar (SAR) was aborted literally at the launch pad stage.

Images from the satellite, with sub-metre picture resolution, would have significantly boosted India’s intelligence-gathering abilities. The satellite is capable of obtaining sharp images of civilian construction activities, including nuclear plants, that may have a strategic bearing. It can also scan cloud-covered mountain peaks. Lack of this capability enabled Pakistan-backed militants and army regulars to entrench themselves on the heights of Kargil, necessitating a huge armed response with many casualties.

If the SAR satellite had been launched on schedule, it would have been a first for both Israel and India.
This is the second strategic programme to have received a setback after American intervention in recent times. Earlier, India curtailed the range of its missiles under development to 5,000 km under US pressure. It has advised military scientists not to think of developing a full-fledged inter-continental ballistic missile above 800 km range.

When DNA contacted a senior official involved in India’s strategic engagements with Israel, he insisted that the satellite launch, slated for end October or early November, was aborted because of “technical glitches”. He added: “Our decision to abort the launch at the last minute was not guided by any American pressure.”

Kent,

Could you please post the link?
Thanks!

I am somewhat puzzled by this. Why would the US do this? I think there is more to this than meets the eye.
When DNA contacted a senior official involved in India’s strategic engagements with Israel, he insisted that the satellite launch, slated for end October or early November, was aborted because of “technical glitches”. He added: “Our decision to abort the launch at the last minute was not guided by any American pressure.”

I believe the senior official. If anything, the US wants this.

Let's wait for the US response.

Let's wait for the US response.
In case, if we don't see a US response to the report than shall we assume all following US support to India and investment in India as a return reward for obedience???:usflag:

I think most likely it is under US pressure and not technical glitches as claimed.

One does not cancel on the launch pad if it's not ready for launch and has technical glitches.

The launch has been postponed.

The Indian authorities are tight lipped over it and many speculations are rife.

It is but natural that highly sensitive and classified information is exchanged in a joint collaboration. In fact, there is a school of thought that the Israeli satellite had highly classified US technology and hence the stall.

It will be launched, states another school of thought, when the India US nuke deal, floundering because of the Communists opposition, is signed.

lets not forget our friends in the the left here

the communists may well be behind this. you never know :whistle:

lets not forget our friends in the the left here

the communists may well be behind this. you never know :whistle:

Just somehow, I am not able digest your reasoning. Since US itself lobbying the left to hard to soften their stance on Nucler Deal.

A bit of a long shot, but what about Pakistani concerns related to the deployment of so many forces away from the Eastern border?

Though denied by the PA, a lot of media reports have speculated that the deployment in the West has left "gaping holes in its Eastern front". The US may not want anything interfering with this new advance in the WoT.

There are many plausible reasons as listed here.

1. Pressure from Pakistan and/or the Arabian states prior to the ME conference.
2. Leverage to get the 'nuclear deal' through.
3. Discomfort with the level of Indo-Israeli ties. It wasn't as much of a problem when conventional arms were being traded, but setting up spy satellite networks is a whole new ball game.
4. Money. This is one of my long shot theories, but its based on the observation that a lot of foreign policy of this nature is usually driven by money. I think the Indians and Israelis are working their way towards setting up a rather impressive space program given Israel's prowess with sophisticated satellite technology and India's ability to offer space launches at very affordable rates. Given the radical growth in the demand for global commerce and communication technology, the satellite business is bound to be a very fruitful one in the near future. Even the poorest of nations can no longer survive without mobile phones and satellite TV. Currently this whole sector is heavily dominated by NASA and ESA... but if the Indo-Israeli space consortium can offer the same services at significantly lower prices, then it poses a rather sizeable threat to the other two agencies.

Back
Top Bottom