What's new

India and Israel release stamps to mark 20 years of ties

agamdilawari

Reaction score
Country
India
Israel%252520India%2525201%25255B6%25255D.jpg

TEL AVIV: India and Israel have released a set of postal stamps depicting their respective festival of lights, Diwali and Hannukah, to commemorate 20 years of diplomatic relations between the two countries.

The stamps were unveiled by secretary and director general of India Post, Manjula Prasher, India's new envoy to Israel, Jaideep Sarkar, and chairman of Israel Postal Company, Sasi Shilo in presence of other officials from both sides.

Sarkar called upon to promote close people to people contact among the two countries to foster experience of mutual goodwill and friendship among them.

"In India we have a great respect for the Jewish faith, as we have for all other faiths. Today the release of the joint postal stamp not only celebrates a milestone in our diplomatic relations but also a common structural tradition, the festival of lights....both festivals celebrating the victory of good over evil", Sarkar said addressing India enthusiasts gathered to attend the ceremony.

ShowImage.ashx

The Indian stamp shows a row of traditional earthen lamps, diyas, representing Diwali and the Israeli stamp features a menorah with the word "Zion" inscribed inside a Magen David star.

Hanukkah, is an eight-day Jewish holiday commemorating the rededication of the Holy Temple in Jerusalem in the 2nd century BC. The Babylon Talmud describes how the Maccabees found only a little pure oil, enough to light the Temple menorah for a single day.

A miracle occurred and this oil lasted for eight days, by which time more oil was prepared, it goes on to say.

"Over a period of time, stamps, a piece of paper, have gained a lot of significance. It not only denotes a country's sovereignty but also becomes a means to commemorate important events like this one", Prasher said, stressing on the significance of joint stamp release.

Hanukkah, like Deepavali, celebrates the triumph of good over evil and the victory of justice over injustice.

Emphasising on the deepening Indo-Israel ties, Shilo called upon the postal services of both the countries to also cooperate in order to meet the new challenges posed by technological advancements.

"Issuing joint stamps symbolises the culture, cooperation and friendship shared between people and nation", he said, touching upon the special bonding between Indians and Israelis.

These limited edition stamps have been designed by Indian artist, Alka Sharma, and Israeli artist, Ronen Goldberg.

They will be available in Israel from today and released in India in about two weeks.

The menorah featured on the stamp was inspired by the wooden menorah used by the Jewish community in Bombay.

India and Israel release stamps to mark 20 years of ties - The Times of India

It would be helpfull if our israeli friends can provide translation of herbrew sentences printed on the stamp

Looks awesome. Both the Indian and the Israeli versions.

And not recognizing Israel for the sake of the Arabs, of all, was one of the stupidest of the Nehru's foreign policy mistakes. But then, it was Nehru after all. Thank God goddamn common sense dawned in 91 under Shri PVNR.

BTW watched the documentaries on Op.Thunderbolt and Op.Wrath of God yesterday..one word..respect.

Excellent way to commemorate our bilateral relations.

As each day goes and Congress' light dims in Indian history, I see more and more prospects of stronger trade and strategic ties with Israel like no other.

And not recognizing Israel for the sake of the Arabs, of all, was one of the stupidest of the Nehru's foreign policy mistakes. But then, it was Nehru after all. Thank God goddamn common sense dawned in 91 under Shri PVNR.

BTW watched the documentaries on Op.Thunderbolt and Op.Wrath of God yesterday..one word..respect.

well although i hate nehru and i am pro israel but still not recognising israel was a good move at that time to counter pakistani influence in arab world but anyways we started covert relationship with them long before formally diplomatic relations was established

well although i hate nehru and i am pro israel but still not recognising israel was a good move at that time to counter pakistani influence in arab world but anyways we started covert relationship with them long before formally diplomatic relations was established

And what did Arab world do ? Supported Pakistan in OIC on Kashmir and directly helped them in the '65 war with fighters, money and free oil.

I feel, India should stop harping on Palestine issue, and then only India and Israel relations can be fully realized

You should also check out Operation Diamond and Operation Opera. Operation Opera especially. Awesome!

I wish there was 1000 thanks button. Any criticism about Nehru will get 1000 thanks from me ;)

By 1960-70s it become obvious that Arabs can't be trusted and Arabs don't care about friendship or good relationship with India. We should have recognized Israel back in 1970s should not have waited for another 20 years to recognize Israel.

Now, we have good relations with Israel but still Arabs are coming towards us for deeper economic relations and countering Iran. "Paasa palat gaya."

I feel, India should stop harping on Palestine issue, and then only India and Israel relations can be fully realized

An injustice, even if committed by your friend, remains an injustice

Back
Top Bottom